Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Best "Factory Looking LED" Reverse Light Bulb? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286067-best-factory-looking-led-reverse-light-bulb.html)

El Burro Guapo 05-13-2020 01:16 PM

Best "Factory Looking LED" Reverse Light Bulb?

Looking for quality LED bulbs for my reverse lights to match my factory LED fog light color. (6000K) Trying to keep the same color exterior lighting theme.

Yes, I read the light sticky thread: Consolidated Lighting Info Thread

I saw that people weren't happy with the new redesigned Philips 921 bulbs. There weren't a whole lot of other options mentioned. I saw that XenonDepot has a set on their website that are $40 but they have no reviews and I am curious if they are worth a flip or not. Open to suggestions.

NW.OH.T4R 05-13-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Burro Guapo (Post 3488425)
Looking for quality LED bulbs for my reverse lights to match my factory LED fog light color. (6000K) Trying to keep the same color exterior lighting theme.

Yes, I read the light sticky thread: Consolidated Lighting Info Thread

I saw that people weren't happy with the new redesigned Philips 921 bulbs. There weren't a whole lot of other options mentioned. I saw that XenonDepot has a set on their website that are $40 but they have no reviews and I am curious if they are worth a flip or not. Open to suggestions.

I think I used the Morimoto 912's for my reverse. Color is good, but if you want to improve output plus match color I would recommend doing the "tail as turn" mod from diode dynamics and then put in a 6000k 7443 bulb in the old turn signal location. It's also a way to eliminate yet another halogen from the system.
I did the tail as turn a couple weeks ago, so limited experience but it's definitely far more light output than just using the OEM reverse lights. It helps counteract my window tint when reversing at night.

Heavy_GD 05-13-2020 01:44 PM

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...4dUDCAw&uact=5

KF4R2011 05-13-2020 02:19 PM

very happy with these. recommended by someone else on the forum.
Amazon.com: AUXITO 912 921 LED Backup Light Bulbs High Power 2835 15-SMD Chipsets Error Free T15 906 W16W for Back Up Lights Reverse Lights, 6000K White (Upgraded, Pack of 2): Automotive

emmantik 05-13-2020 02:41 PM

Very happy with VLED's. Used RED 921's for my rear fog light mod. Here's a link to white.

5500K WHITE HIGH OUTPUT 36 LED 921 - 921 - Shop Bulb Number

El Burro Guapo 05-13-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NW.OH.T4R (Post 3488436)
I think I used the Morimoto 912's for my reverse. Color is good, but if you want to improve output plus match color I would recommend doing the "tail as turn" mod from diode dynamics and then put in a 6000k 7443 bulb in the old turn signal location. It's also a way to eliminate yet another halogen from the system.
I did the tail as turn a couple weeks ago, so limited experience but it's definitely far more light output than just using the OEM reverse lights. It helps counteract my window tint when reversing at night.

I love the look of the tail as a turn, but I need to check the NC DMV laws and see if my truck will pass inspection with the turn signal bulb not flashing orange.

ElectroBoy 05-13-2020 03:59 PM

I tried the 5000K VLEDs 921s as my reverse bulbs. Although they’re much better than stock incandescents, I replaced them with LASFIT 921/912. Brighter and a better spread. Plus the VLEDS cost $80/pair while the Lasfits were $30/pair.
921 912 White LED Bulbs CANBUS Error Free For Reverse Back Up Light - Lasfit Auto Lighting

BTW, if anyone wants to buy the VLEDS from me I’ll sell them for $35 per the pair. Shipped. PM me if interested.
Edit: These are the VLED bulbs.
HIGH OUTPUT WHITE 6 LED 921 - 921 - Reverse Back-Up - Shop By Application

97BlackAckCL 05-13-2020 04:47 PM

I have these and love them, they are way brighter and whiter than the Profiles I had before them

Amazon.com: LASFIT 921 912 W16W LED Reverse Backup Trunk Cargo Light Bulbs, White Light 1yr Warranty: Automotive

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e42035f38f.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...43298e2d42.jpg

NW.OH.T4R 05-14-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Burro Guapo (Post 3488504)
I love the look of the tail as a turn, but I need to check the NC DMV laws and see if my truck will pass inspection with the turn signal bulb not flashing orange.

There are several new cars that come from the factory with a combined tail and turn signal and it's red. I believe the new Mustang has sequential rear turn signals in red as well.

Also, the module just plugs into the tail lights through the access panel so you could easily unplug it for inspection if NC has an issue with it. I used to travel to NC 1-2 weeks a month for work and the cars I've seen on the road from RDU to Pinehurst makes me believe something like a red turn signal won't be a problem.

97BlackAckCL 05-14-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Burro Guapo (Post 3488504)

Definitely a good thing to check. Mine passed inspection in PA with the tail as turn... At a Toyota dealer lol

Mutant138 05-14-2020 09:15 PM

Why tho? For the 10 seconds you flip it in reverse, happen to be in inclement weather that requires fogs, aaaand theirs someone outside who you potentially want to diddle your dangle?

1jzgte 05-15-2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutant138 (Post 3489256)
Why tho? For the 10 seconds you flip it in reverse, happen to be in inclement weather that requires fogs, aaaand theirs someone outside who you potentially want to diddle your dangle?

Dont worry, the worst his 4runner will see is rainstorm in a well lit mall parking lot

El Burro Guapo 05-18-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jzgte (Post 3489338)
Dont worry, the worst his 4runner will see is rainstorm in a well lit mall parking lot

I'm sorry do I know you? Don't make ASSumption's keyboard warrior. :fish:

KingPrat 05-18-2020 09:16 AM

I installed the Sylvania Zevo 921s yesterday. I like the look. $25 for the pair and Advance Auto has a limited lifetime replacement warranty for them.

6000k light. They match the Toyota fogs really well.

Rocko9999 11-08-2023 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3488543)

I have these too and while bright-they have a huge dead spot as seen in the picture. I wonder if there are better backup bulbs that throw more light in that area.