Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Unplugged 4WD switch, now stuck in 4Hi (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/286175-unplugged-4wd-switch-now-stuck-4hi.html)

mderienzo 05-16-2020 01:53 PM

Unplugged 4WD switch, now stuck in 4Hi

I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and solved it.

While installing a new radio in my 2007 SR5, I unplugged the 4WD switch while the ignition was on by mistake. Now the 4Runner is in 4Hi (indicated and it really is) and the switch has no effect. I currently have the battery unplugged, hoping the system will forget my mistake but I don't have much confidence that this will work. The radio installed is a Scion T10015 using adapter cables from Toyota so I did not mess with any factory wiring.

Besides having a dealer reset the 4WD system, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Bluesky 07 05-16-2020 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mderienzo (Post 3489970)
I'm hoping someone has experienced this before and solved it.

While installing a new radio in my 2007 SR5, I unplugged the 4WD switch while the ignition was on by mistake. Now the 4Runner is in 4Hi (indicated and it really is) and the switch has no effect. I currently have the battery unplugged, hoping the system will forget my mistake but I don't have much confidence that this will work. The radio installed is a Scion T10015 using adapter cables from Toyota so I did not mess with any factory wiring.

Besides having a dealer reset the 4WD system, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Are you certain that the plug is fully seated in the switch receptacle? If it’s not quite in, the switch will not work.

mderienzo 05-16-2020 04:31 PM

Thanks - Yup the connector is fully seated. I just reseated it and it clicked into place. Still in 4WD Hi no matter I do with the switch.

eleven14 05-16-2020 05:25 PM

To Bluesky's point, I've seen multiple people have the same issue that was the result of a bent pin on the plug, so be sure it's good-to-go. And you're sure it's actually in 4Hi?

cwilliams563 05-16-2020 05:49 PM

I’m in the same boat. Worked on my stereo last night and unplugged the front panel. While the key was on and unplugged it showed 4Hi, once plugged back in shows 4Hi still on. I’ll mess with it some more and check the plug as well.

KrisB410 05-16-2020 07:17 PM

Same happened to me, ended up a bent pin on the 4wd selector switch. Straighten the pin with a small needle nose pliers. Plugged back in, and success.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mderienzo 05-16-2020 07:36 PM

Mine is fixed! Turned out to be a bent pin on the switch not making contact. Thanks for the help!

Mark