Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Wrap Interior Door Handles? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286192-wrap-interior-door-handles.html)

Jemplyr77 05-16-2020 05:59 PM

Wrap Interior Door Handles?

Has anyone wrapped their interior door handles to de-chrome them? Or have a different suggestion?

ElectroBoy 05-16-2020 06:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemplyr77 (Post 3490077)
Has anyone wrapped their interior door handles to de-chrome them? Or have a different suggestion?

When the sun angle was just right the passenger door handle was like a mirror, it drove me nuts. So for a quick solution I did a DIY “wrap” using Scotch Super 33+ black vinyl electrical tape on the front surface. If you look closely you can see the seams, but it doesn’t bother me. You just have to make some creative cuts to nicely wrap around the tip of the handle.
It works for me.
Or you could pay a pro shop to do it at about $25 per handle.

Mudhorn 05-16-2020 08:15 PM

What are the steps to removing the handles? I have not looked at them too closely.

michalik.piotr6837 05-16-2020 11:01 PM

I bought fake carbon self adhesive over lays from Amazon but they were def not for 4runner. Oh well. Good thing they were less then $20.

If anyone knows of overlays that fit, post it pls. I’m still interested.

Hans Moleman 05-17-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3490095)
When the sun angle was just right the passenger door handle was like a mirror, it drove me nuts. So for a quick solution I did a DIY “wrap” using Scotch Super 33+ black vinyl electrical tape on the front surface. If you look closely you can see the seams, but it doesn’t bother me. You just have to make some creative cuts to nicely wrap around the tip of the handle.
It works for me.
Or you could pay a pro shop to do it at about $25 per handle.

I have the same problem from the chrome door handles. When I head north in the late afternoon the sun from the west reflects of the passenger door handle and shines me.

ElectroBoy 05-17-2020 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OYOTA TRD (Post 3490125)
What are the steps to removing the handles? I have not looked at them too closely.

Whatever you decide to do, I would not take off the handles. If you’re going to wrap, tape, dip, spray paint, just do it on the door. Mask everything off well if you’re spraying. I’m thinking that plastidip or paint is not going to stick very well to the shiny chrome surface without roughing it up a lot. And it will scratch off easily. Maybe try a DIY vinyl wrap. It may take lots of attempts to perfect it if you’ve never done it before.

<<<< 05-17-2020 10:09 AM

My were not chromed but I had to have this trim because I'm CF freak (fake or real I got them all).

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...r-handles.jpeg

Blue 4ever Runner 05-17-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemplyr77 (Post 3490077)

I got these. They fit perfectly and get rid of the chrome except for a little bit at the rear of the handle to allow for clearance when you open the door.
Inner Door Grab Handle Knobs Cover Trim For Toyota 4Runner 2010-2019 Silver 4pcs | eBay

Jemplyr77 05-17-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3490306)
I got these. They fit perfectly and get rid of the chrome except for a little bit at the rear of the handle to allow for clearance when you open the door.
Inner Door Grab Handle Knobs Cover Trim For Toyota 4Runner 2010-2019 Silver 4pcs | eBay

Do you think there are paintable? I would prefer a satin black or similar. Are they just held on by tape?

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions thus far!

Jemplyr77 05-17-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <<<< (Post 3490297)
My were not chromed but I had to have this trim because I'm CF freak (fake or real I got them all).

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/membe...r-handles.jpeg

Are these just covers??

Blue 4ever Runner 05-17-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemplyr77 (Post 3490344)
Do you think there are paintable? I would prefer a satin black or similar. Are they just held on by tape?

Thank you all for your insights and suggestions thus far!

I'm sure you could paint them with usual prep for painting. Yes there's 3M tape on the back.

nwebb01 05-17-2020 03:03 PM

Where did you get the CF?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

<<<< 05-17-2020 03:07 PM

Those are covers. I got mine from e-bay they are Land Cruiser Prado covers and fit 4Runner.

mcat707 05-17-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 4ever Runner (Post 3490306)

Nice! If these came in matte black I’d pick up a set.

jawkdna 05-17-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by <<<< (Post 3490395)
Those are covers. I got mine from e-bay they are Land Cruiser Prado covers and fit 4Runner.

It looks like some Prado handles are already black from the factory, this has me thinking / wondering if we could order those OEM parts to replace the chrome ones in our rigs...