Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   P0705 Code, then clears up (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286212-p0705-code-then-clears-up.html)

tchfall15 05-17-2020 05:34 AM

P0705 Code, then clears up

For the past month, my 2014 4runner limited will throw the P0705 code with 4lo blinking, trac off light on, and check engine light on. Is this the neutral safety switch?

How it typically happens, the gear shifter is somewhat stiff going into through the gears, then as I drive the 4lo starts blinking, then a little later the trac off and check engine come on. After that, then the gear shifter is back to normal and the code eventually turns off. Then after awhile, the same thing happens over again.

Is this the neutral safety switch? Or check other things first?

Thanks for your help.

Bossman 05-17-2020 07:33 AM

First issue with my truck, any ideas what's wrong?

P0705 Error and bad Neutral Sensor Switch

Neutral Safety Switch

NSS/Range Selector Switch - P0705 code

Bossman 06-03-2020 04:09 PM

I recently ran into this very same issue on my 2011 Limited with 169,000 km.

Three dash warning lights activated while driving - the Check Engine light was on; the Slip Indicator was on; and the 4-LO Lowspeed 4WD Indicator was flashing.

Using my OBD II Code Reader, the Error Code P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input) came up.

I can't say for certain that I truly noticed that moving the gear shifter was becoming all that difficult over time.

Based on my research, I anticipated that the A/T Gear Position Sensor aka the Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) Assembly had failed.

Toyota Canada Part number for the NSS is 84540-35060.

My independent mechanic confirmed the switch failure, and after waiting several days for the local Toyota dealership to get this part in, the old switch was removed (not easily removed due to the corrosion) and the new switch was installed.

My mechanic showed me the inside of the old switch, and the internal corrosion that was on the internal contacts.

The new switch cost $263.00 CAN.

With the new switch, moving the gear shifter does seem a bit smoother