Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   OEM Headlights Need To Be Replaced (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/286241-oem-headlights-need-replaced.html)

derek12b 05-17-2020 09:06 PM

OEM Headlights Need To Be Replaced

I have an 03' Limited with the 4.7 in it. The plastic on the headlights is pretty hazy due to the sun drying them out and I don't really want to polish them up. I'd like to replace the headlight housing and put some better ones in there and nicer lights. I've done some searches on here and really haven't found any threads dedicated to just headlights and lights in general.
I've read about people changing them out but need other things too for some kind of interference or feedback.
If anyone can post or direct me to some threads I'd be pretty happy about. If this posts grows I'll modify it to be a thread just about lighting conversions.
Any input would be appreciated.

jbtvt 05-17-2020 09:31 PM

Don't think I've ever seen a longer term review for aftermarket headlights that didn't turn yellow/flake/cloud within a year or two. Maybe they're out there and I'd be interested to know about it, if they're somewhat economical, but your best bet would probably be to sand and clear coat. There is a thread on restoration here - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...ml#post3374973

Why would you not go this route? Never taken them out of a GX but on a GS I seem to remember it wasn't exactly easy, may have had to pull the fender I think. Could've prob polished 4 lights in the time it took.

doofenshmirtz 05-18-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek12b (Post 3490558)
I have an 03' Limited with the 4.7 in it. The plastic on the headlights is pretty hazy due to the sun drying them out and I don't really want to polish them up. I'd like to replace the headlight housing and put some better ones in there and nicer lights. I've done some searches on here and really haven't found any threads dedicated to just headlights and lights in general.
I've read about people changing them out but need other things too for some kind of interference or feedback.
If anyone can post or direct me to some threads I'd be pretty happy about. If this posts grows I'll modify it to be a thread just about lighting conversions.
Any input would be appreciated.

I bought the Anzo headlights. There's lots that are similar, but I saw the fewest reported instances of condensation with these. I've not had any condensation, fwiw.

As mentioned, I'm at 18months and I have about 1-2" of the top section with the clear fading off. Mind you, I did nothing to take care of them. I should have waxed them, like, ever, but I never did until the clear was flaking already. I think I've only washed the 4runner maybe 4 times in those 18 months and the paint is so bad that I don't even bother with wax. I have no doubt they'd be mint if I'd have taken care of them better. They still look great after wax.

I tried the sand and clearcoat method on my OE before buying new lights, and I did a REALLY bad job. I think it's mainly because this was/is a daily driver, so I couldn't take as much time as I wanted - car has to be drivable 6 mornings per week. It was a last ditch effort. I'm considering refinishing my OE lights to sell them now that I don't have to be up and running the next morning like before.