Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Got some money burning a hole in my pocket! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286258-got-some-money-burning-hole-my-pocket.html)

Boostfarmer 05-18-2020 12:37 PM

Got some money burning a hole in my pocket!

I'm looking for some advice on a few items.

I am having the hardest time finding different brands of the metal molly that goes over the rear windows to be able to hang things on back there.

Im looking for roof rack that can support a roof top tent eventually. Im torn between Gobi vs Baja.

I am in need of a front bumper that allows a winch. Im looking mostly at the little middle one not the full front bumper.

I need to replace these Nfab runners with sliders. I do need something with step with 3 kids. I know it will effect overall clearance but its a family rig first.

Looking for ditch light brackets and only finding a few brands on ebay. I would prefer to by from a reputable company.

Finally I need an awning that attaches to the roof rack. Wife really wants this one as it sucks to be baking in the sun.

Thanks guys!

ryguytheman 05-18-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostfarmer (Post 3490791)
I'm looking for some advice on a few items.

I am having the hardest time finding different brands of the metal molly that goes over the rear windows to be able to hang things on back there.

Im looking for roof rack that can support a roof top tent eventually. Im torn between Gobi vs Baja.

I am in need of a front bumper that allows a winch. Im looking mostly at the little middle one not the full front bumper.

I need to replace these Nfab runners with sliders. I do need something with step with 3 kids. I know it will effect overall clearance but its a family rig first.

Looking for ditch light brackets and only finding a few brands on ebay. I would prefer to by from a reputable company.

Finally I need an awning that attaches to the roof rack. Wife really wants this one as it sucks to be baking in the sun.

Thanks guys!

Molle panels - I know Rago, Orange Box, and I think Victory 4X4 make them.

Bumper - I have the Southern Style Offroad bumper, and have zero complaints after more than 2 years. There are so many brands that make this now, but I think the leaders are SSO, C4, Hefty Fab, Victory 4X4. Have heard mostly good things about the quality of all these brands.

Sliders - Plenty of companies make flat sliders that act as a decent tread plate or step. I have the Shrockworks step sliders, and they have been great.

Ditch light brackets - I went with CBI. They are great quality. You do have to modify your cowling under the front windshield, which isn't ideal (and probably why they're not more expensive). I used a heat gun to mold the plastic, worked fine.

Boostfarmer 05-18-2020 12:53 PM

Will UCA prevent rubbing of the front tires? I know this is a noob questions but for some reason the rubbing is bad with 285/75/17. On toytec boss 3 inch lift myself

ryguytheman 05-18-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostfarmer (Post 3490801)
Will UCA prevent rubbing of the front tires? I know this is a noob questions but for some reason the rubbing is bad with 285/75/17. On toytec boss 3 inch lift myself

UCAs are recommended for really any lift over 2".

Those are beefy tires. Did you do anything to accommodate them besides the lift? I imagine you'd have lots of plastic to trim, and a body mount chop.

Boostfarmer 05-18-2020 01:07 PM

I did the DIY cut away but I think it needs a bit more. Do you know better Ditch light brackets that dont require any modification?

flyrv9 05-18-2020 01:21 PM

There are several threads covering many of the topics you listed. You can use this sites search function to find them. Also look in the Mods, Write ups, Quick links sticky for good info. Also check out Wonderlust Overland videos on youtube.

ryguytheman 05-18-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostfarmer (Post 3490811)
I did the DIY cut away but I think it needs a bit more. Do you know better Ditch light brackets that dont require any modification?

2010-2020 Toyota 4Runner Low Profile LED Ditch Light Brackets/Combo

But yeah, you can find discussions on all of this stuff if you use the search bar.

mteolus 05-18-2020 01:34 PM

Roof rack, LFD Off-road

Hybrid front bumper, LFD Off-road. Only one that gives access to the winch clutch and spool. Look up some YouTube videos on how to do recoveries and you will see why this is important. If you are not going to put a winch on, you may want to get something else.

RCI 5 degree sliders. I have them on my rig and my daughter uses them to get into the back seat every time she gets in. The kickout is a must in my opinion and these have them.

Awning. Lots of brands, some cheaper, some expensive. I personally just ordered an awning on sale from this place. 2m x 2.5 awning plus awning room and quick release mounting brackets. and extra hooks. That way I can remove the awning easily and move it to the other side of the 4Runner or take it off to store in the garage easily.

Ditch brackets you can get from Cali Raised.

B4DG3R_TX 05-18-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Rago makes low profile ditch brackets that don't require modification.

I went with the GOBI rack over baja, and am super pleased with the results. A few friends are running LFD, Prinsu, and FrontRunner with great success. All depends on what you plan to use it for, and whether or not you're OK with fasteners holding your rack together.

2010-2019 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner Ditch Light Brackets- LOW PROFILE – Rago Fabrication

EDIT: On the MOLLE panels, i went with RAGO purely for aesthetics, and now that they've launched the shelf that integrates, I'm even more pleased. It should be arriving next week, will be replacing a Raingler ceiling net. (Served its purpose well, but the shelf is much more clean and scratches the OCD itch a bit better)

shrub1 05-18-2020 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SDHQ was the beefiest ditch light bracket I could find and it requires no modifications. They are however a little more expensive than some others. They fit great on my 4Runner.

mteolus 05-18-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B4DG3R_TX (Post 3490928)
EDIT: On the MOLLE panels, i went with RAGO purely for aesthetics, and now that they've launched the shelf that integrates, I'm even more pleased. It should be arriving next week, will be replacing a Raingler ceiling net. (Served its purpose well, but the shelf is much more clean and scratches the OCD itch a bit better)

Is that shelf similar to this one.

I kinda like, but you have to have both molle panels on each window first so the cost gets up there once buy both of those and then add the shelf on top of that.

Mudhorn 05-18-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostfarmer (Post 3490791)
I'm looking for some advice on a few items!

If I did it over.
Molle Panels: Rago w/ shelf
Rack for RTT: Baja since it is flat. I have a Gobi and love it since I sit on the roof a lot, but do not have a RTT.
Front bumper: Southern Style Off-road
Sliders: many great companies, get flat or 5 degree w/ top plate. I like having the kick out.
Throw some Raingler headrest handles in, they help the kiddos pull themselves into the car.
Ditch Light Brackets: rago for simplicity of shipping w/ molle panels. I have the SDHQ and like them, just not the company too much.
Awning: I like my ARB. I will get a 180 or 270 degree wrap around next though.
Agree, search the forum for good brands. Vendors and sponsors are listed on the main page. There is so much new stuff flooding the market right now, just find what serves your needs.

nglayton 05-19-2020 01:16 AM

Quote:

Do you know better Ditch light brackets that dont require any modification?

caliraisedled

Boostfarmer 05-19-2020 11:52 AM

Anyone have any experience with KC flood lights? They got great reviews online?

Boostfarmer 05-19-2020 11:52 AM

I will be moving forward with Rago. I really like the idea of the shelf in the future if I need it.