Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Magnum stage II CAI (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/286288-magnum-stage-ii-cai.html)

JBend 05-18-2020 09:57 PM

Magnum stage II CAI

I've been reading a lot and asking a few questions around here since I purchased my 4r on 4/20. I've collected a few parts so far and am waiting to post everything up once I get more in. Which leaves me to this question, I've read a lot of the carbon air filter delete, makes sense to me nor would I expect much of a big change, if I did just that I'd purchase the AFE pro dry filter which is about $70. So, is it worth bypassing all of that and just purchase the Magnum stage II cold air intake? Was wondering if anyone had one and wanted to give me some feedback. Thanks bunches.

snivilous 05-19-2020 09:02 PM

Waste of money. Stock filter pulls colder air than any aftermarket intake short of a snorkel, and filters the air better in most cases. Plus CAI usually absolutely roar in the cabin in my experience. Save your money.

rokr1292 05-20-2020 07:42 AM

I've never heard of this intake, the AFe, Volant, or K&N seem to be much more common. That or custom/silencer deletes

Inv4drZm 05-20-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snivilous (Post 3491792)
Waste of money. Stock filter pulls colder air than any aftermarket intake short of a snorkel, and filters the air better in most cases. Plus CAI usually absolutely roar in the cabin in my experience. Save your money.

Most aftermarket intakes pull air from the same spot as stock so temperature-wise they are the same. As long as the intake uses a fully-boxed design they are the same.

I wouldn't recommend a CAI on a vehicle without exhaust work, as the intake is loud and hp gains would be minimal.

I would just either do a drop-in filter like you mentioned, or keep the paper filter for its filtration properties. The drop-in will be more durable than a paper filter if it happens to get wet.

Also, the 'magnum' CAI is the AFE.

JBend 05-20-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3491989)
Most aftermarket intakes pull air from the same spot as stock so temperature-wise they are the same. As long as the intake uses a fully-boxed design they are the same.

I wouldn't recommend a CAI on a vehicle without exhaust work, as the intake is loud and hp gains would be minimal.

I would just either do a drop-in filter like you mentioned, or keep the paper filter for its filtration properties. The drop-in will be more durable than a paper filter if it happens to get wet.

Also, the 'magnum' CAI is the AFE.

This is kind of what I figured I just needed to hear from some seasoned vets. Also I think it's just part of the 'bug' slowly getting parts in and small things for projects, add the AFE pro dry to the just ordered list. Thanks everyone.

Warwicke36 05-20-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBend (Post 3492124)
This is kind of what I figured I just needed to hear from some seasoned vets. Also I think it's just part of the 'bug' slowly getting parts in and small things for projects, add the AFE pro dry to the just ordered list. Thanks everyone.

Soooo, out of boredom I ordered an AFE magnum dry a few weeks ago. I installed it yesterday.

Here's what I have observed so far.

Decent growl on heavy acceleration. Which I always enjoy. Wish it was louder TBH, it is much louder with thw top off the filter, but you're drawing warm engine bay air in...

So far I have gained 2.5 average MPG around town in about 50 miles of driving. That includes a few heavy foot accelerations I normally wouldn't do.

Butt dyno didn't notice any dramatic gains, nor did I expect any really.

So as far as "waste of money" it depends on what your goals are. Will I gain back the $320 I spent on the intake with what I spend on gas. Eventually if this MPG gain continues. My back of the napkin math says like 45 tanks of gas (I could be wrong here IDK). Or with an avg of 12k miles per year a little under 2 years.

If your goal is noticeable power gains probably a waste of money.

Just my $.02 Cheers!

JBend 05-21-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warwicke36 (Post 3492212)
Soooo, out of boredom I ordered an AFE magnum dry a few weeks ago. I installed it yesterday.

Decent growl on heavy acceleration. Which I always enjoy. Wish it was louder TBH, it is much louder with thw top off the filter, but you're drawing warm engine bay air in...

So far I have gained 2.5 average MPG around town in about 50 miles of driving. That includes a few heavy foot accelerations I normally wouldn't do.

So as far as "waste of money" it depends on what your goals are. Will I gain back the $320 I spent on the intake with what I spend on gas. Eventually if this MPG gain continues. My back of the napkin math says like 45 tanks of gas (I could be wrong here IDK). Or with an avg of 12k miles per year a little under 2 years.

Just my $.02 Cheers!

Interesting. Appreciate the follow up.

Emperor_Po 05-23-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warwicke36 (Post 3492212)

Just my $.02 Cheers!

V6 or V8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cbailey1523 05-23-2020 11:11 AM

You'll gain a shiny gizmo under the hood and a lot of noise under acceleration. This topic has been beaten to death on every forum for every vehicle. It looks and sounds cool. You might get a little bit of driver seat butt dyno increase, but almost nil in real world numbers. There are tons of YouTube videos of guys doing legit dyno runs with no gains.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

truc.karl 05-26-2020 02:01 AM

You will not see huge power gain with a CAI unless you do other performance mods.