Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   DIYer's...Take Note. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/286334-diyers-take-note.html)

swampdodo 05-20-2020 08:49 AM

DIYer's...Take Note.

Don't Trust Your Life To These Jack Stands

Gamma Ray 05-20-2020 09:38 AM

Is it going to be Harbor Freight?

*Clicks link*

Bingo!

jbtvt 05-21-2020 10:44 PM

Good to know, I've got a pair of the 6 ton. They would've been purchased right around the middle of the recall period and I've never had an issue with them, but might see what other newer options are if I took them up on the credit

dawudih 05-29-2020 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I only use jack stands with pins. I was able to get any ratcheting jack stand to "fall" while locked. They all do it without a load, some just more so. Peoples eyes get really big when I show them.

jbtvt 05-29-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawudih (Post 3497279)
I only use jack stands with pins. I was able to get any ratcheting jack stand to "fall" while locked. They all do it without a load, some just more so. Peoples eyes get really big when I show them.

I'm curious how exactly you would do this. In any case, the load is what locks the stand in place. It's impossible to release a correctly built tooth and pawl jack stand without pulling up on the release lever, which in turn has to lift the entire toothed stalk and all the load on top of it to release.

dawudih 05-29-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbtvt (Post 3497315)
I'm curious how exactly you would do this. In any case, the load is what locks the stand in place. It's impossible to release a correctly built tooth and pawl jack stand without pulling up on the release lever, which in turn has to lift the entire toothed stalk and all the load on top of it to release.

Try it one day; just change the angle of the jack stands center column and it'll go often enough. The paw doesn't engage well enough to the claw part. Just give it a wiggle, don't beat on it. Also, there is a shear pin that will break if enough force is pulled on the handle, causing it to lock.
They usually do this...
YouTube