Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How many computer modules does the 3rd gen 4Runner have? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/286376-how-many-computer-modules-does-3rd-gen-4runner-have.html)

Satter 05-21-2020 10:41 AM

How many computer modules does the 3rd gen 4Runner have?

Today’s cars are rolling laptops. Some have dozens of computer modules, monitoring and adjusting every aspect of the vehicle. My question is how many computer modules does a third gen 4Runner have? I know there’s an ECU behind the glovebox. Are there any others? My 4Runner came equipped with Securikey+. That module is bolted underneath the dash, bolted to the left of the steering column.

camryn.samples 05-21-2020 12:36 PM

How many computer modules does the 3rd gen 4Runner have?

There are 2 that I know of one behind the glove box which is the main ECU and the one under the driver seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phattyduck 05-21-2020 01:09 PM

'99+ has at least the following (also depends on trim, let's do a Limited for max effect):

- Engine ECU
- ABS computer
- 4WD computer
- Integration relay (interior fuse box)
- Rear door ECU
- Cruise control computer
- Auto AC control
- Gauge cluster

And probably a few others. '01/'02 adds the VSC/TRAC computer...

-Charlie

Dieselchessy 05-21-2020 01:11 PM

Depends what you want to call a computer I guess.

ECM, ABS, 4WD, Rear Locker, rear hatch module, maybe more? Cabin air control?

camryn.samples 05-21-2020 01:30 PM

I tried to find a diagram but I couldn’t find a decent one.

spartacus 05-21-2020 01:35 PM

ecm behind the glove box
then a bunch of ecu's
drivers side box has the ign, vsc, skid control (2001-2002) and the body ecus
back door ecu
4x4 ecu
shift lock control ecu
sunroof ecu
these are the ones I can think off.

Satter 05-21-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camryn.samples (Post 3492755)
There are 2 that I know of one behind the glove box which is the main ECU and the one under the driver seat.

Oh yeah! I wonder what that does?

brillo_76 05-21-2020 04:48 PM

The earlier years 96 thru 98 have less modules then the latter. With 99 and 00 being transition years. The wiring harnesses also change in 1999 so they are almost identical in 1996 thru 1998 with a few feature enhancements like the E locker in the Limited etc. The 02 has the most circuits thus the most body electrical control units. So be very careful to match them up properly when replacing defecting ones. Mostly the Toyota Engineers change the plugs to prevent people from baking them but when sourcing for parts its better to be comparing apples to apples and not apples to grapes if you catch my drift. :-)

Hope the other users and this helps answer your question. :-)

3bears 05-22-2020 12:34 AM

they have too many