Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   New suspension installed yesterday - grease spurting from inner axle boots (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/286453-new-suspension-installed-yesterday-grease-spurting-inner-axle-boots.html)

Endlessblockades 05-23-2020 05:00 PM

New suspension installed yesterday - grease spurting from inner axle boots

I noticed this after I picked up the rig yesterday. Did a full wipe-down today under there and within 5 miles a fresh batch of grayish-tan grease is all over the suspension components. Did they forget clamps on the outer ends of the inner boots? Is it due to stress (mild 2" Billy 5100/881 lift)?

Edit - looks like they totally forgot the CV boot clamps -D'OH.!! I have 2 choices with what I have at hand: super burly zip ties or standard hose clamps. What do you recommend?

The shop not open weekends....

Endlessblockades 05-23-2020 05:33 PM

Edit #2 of this one-man clown show. So, there are boot clamps installed - just hard to see. I read somewhere else that this is not at all uncommon and will resolve itself after a while. Hopefully enough grease remains. What is weird is that I haven't even used the front drive axles yes. Will go for a spin in 4H and see what happens. I should probably just delete this post and stop embarrassing myself, but it may help another Joey down the line...

Dieselchessy 05-23-2020 05:57 PM

Front axle spin if the tire spins unless you have locking hubs.
The higher operating angle tends to cause your issue.

VernySanders 05-23-2020 06:36 PM

metal ties are the best but zip ties will do for a quick fix, the same thing happens to many 3rd gen guys when they install a mild lift, myself included with the same exact kit, what happens is your angle has been increased so your boots on the outside will hold less grease by nature. Because of this you will lose some grease but ive had my lift for almost 8 months and I havent had an axle go yet or give any symptoms of failure. I am also running larger 33 inch tires in addition to my lift which were installed on the same day so even with that in mind my axles are still running strong.

Js'00imited4runner 05-23-2020 08:09 PM

Yeah its a typical issue with the front axles being at a higher angle. You can try to stretch the boot out somewhat and tighten the clamps down. I ended up buying some worm clamps from mcmcaster carr that are smooth on the inside so it doesn't tear up the rubber as you tighten them down. I've repacked and replaces my inner rubber boots twice. So far the aftermarket rubber boots are doing pretty good! Good luck.

3bears 05-23-2020 10:02 PM

Ive noticed some do a diff drop even with a 2" lift. Even Sorren Steel 2 inch lift kit includes diff drop pucks and bolts.
Curious as I have a 2 inch lift in the plans

shadow247 05-23-2020 10:12 PM

I have a 1.5 inch spacer lift and run a diff-drop. I haven't seen anything negative about running it, so having the peace of mind that the CV angles were close to stock as possible was worth the little bit of added cost.

Endlessblockades 05-23-2020 11:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This symptom should be added to a 3rd Gen lift sticky somewhere. I'll just monitor it now that I know it's not all that unusual. Maybe I'll do aftermarket boots and a diff drop at some point. I had done a skid-plates-off engine, diff, and suspension clean-up before I took it to the shop and even hit key bolts with a little PB. it was just a little shocking to see the grease all over when admiring the new parts! Took her out and went through all the 4X4 modes for about an hour and it didn't spew any more grease that it already had from what I could tell. Cheers

Endlessblockades 06-01-2020 08:07 PM

Update - the grease issue vanished after a couple hundred miles. I cheaped-out and didn't get an alignment (mistake) because I thought I was going to get some tires real soon (bank account non-compliant). There were a couple clunks at near-lock, a lack of a sure-footedness and visually it looked off (caster/camber). Anyway i found a Big-O Tires Groupon for $100 of alignment work for $50. A 4-wheel alignment is $100 out the door at that place. Thing is rock-solid now, no clunks, all good. Recommended! Later in the day installed a Spiker hood strut kit. Making progress.......

So far:

New valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires
New OEM UBJs and LBJs.
New gear oil throughout.
5100s and OME springs all around.
Magnaflow muffler
New Maxpower (? - The ones made in Carlsbad CA) hatch struts and Spiker hood struts mod.

Need:

Tires
Radiator
Battery

Taking a road trip to Bend OR and through the Cascades/Mt Hood in July.

D_T_F 06-02-2020 06:18 PM

Many thanks for the post. I am about to lift and this gives a bit to watch for once done.