Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   SOLD....Thoughts on selling my 2000 4Runner Limited (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/286466-sold-thoughts-selling-my-2000-4runner-limited.html)

Russkcpa 05-24-2020 08:22 AM

SOLD....Thoughts on selling my 2000 4Runner Limited

7 Attachment(s)
I am the original owner of my 2000 4Runner Limited (165,000 miles)
This vehicle was equipped with the E-locker (I have the E-Locker switch. had disconnected it when pulling off cluster trim)
The frame (in my opinion) is badly rusted
Most of the Limited interior trim has been removed. I used it in my new Gen 3 4Runner SR5. I could replace all missing trim with black plastic trim from an SR-5 (window controls-center console-instrument cluster trim-key trim)
The vehicle runs fine and can be driven. I just would be concerned about it being a daily driver or highway driver at this point. It has a valid MA inspection sticker through May 31st. I DO NOT think it should be driven from this point on due to the severe frame rust.
Rear differential has a leak
Interior in decent shape. Wear to driver carpet
I would like to sell the vehicle and would like thoughts about a price and whether it should just be sold for parts. I do have the title but am concerned about someone registering the vehicle with the thought of driving it.
Thanks
Russ

tvpierce 05-24-2020 08:29 AM

If you decide to part it out, I may be interested in the wheels/tires. I'm in Maine.

tgreenwood75 05-24-2020 09:24 AM

Some pictures of the frame would be helpful in determining if it is truly parts only. If you wish to sell it complete but are concerned about someone attempting to re-register it, you could draft your own Bill of Sale which clearly states "FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY, AS IS CONDITION." You would have this for your own records and the DMV would see it if the next owner were to register it. Sounds like it is best for parts but frames can be welded and repaired.

If you go the part-out route I would possibly be interested in some pieces, I'm in Maine.

da_crew10 05-24-2020 12:07 PM

Yes the rust will ultimately determine its worth. The rest looks pristine but with a rusted chassis its like the old butter face scenario. Good-luck m8!

HighDesert4Banger 05-24-2020 12:43 PM

I think you'd do pretty well with a part out; I know someone who covets the leather seats;)

HiLife 05-24-2020 01:31 PM

Your current pics of the outside looks promising. However like mentioned above, the true worth is the extent of the rust damage underneath which we can't currently see. What may be bad to you may not be that bad who has the experience and knowledge of repairing of such rusted frames.
Looks like you got your heart set of selling the 4r as parts or the whole running rig. Have you gotten estimates on frame repairs? You could repair the frame rot and then sell it.

jgue467 05-24-2020 03:11 PM

Bummer for Runny - so it's Somewhat rare to hear from original owners, I mean how did it get so bad? so us central Texans can learn should we decide to spend extended time in northeast.

Russkcpa 05-24-2020 03:41 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Undercarriage pics Number 1
20 years of harsh winters and lots of road salt

Russkcpa 05-24-2020 03:44 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Undercarriage pics Number 2

Russkcpa 05-24-2020 03:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Undercarriage pics 3

Thebeastlives 05-24-2020 03:58 PM

Yea that is a lot of rust. I would never want that vehicle on the road

Russkcpa 05-24-2020 04:07 PM

My hope is to sell it as a parts vehicle. Unfortunately I don't have the time to be parting it out piece by piece.

HiLife 05-24-2020 04:48 PM

Wow. The salt belt areas look like great places to live.
Too bad you guys gotta deal with salt damage to vehicles. Looks like a lot of work to patch up the rust.
Hopefully you can get the most funds for the 4r. GLWS

rallypoint_1 05-24-2020 06:01 PM

I think it will buff out.

J/k....wow that’s some serious rust. How much do you like the truck? Lots...then a frame swap. Meh...part it out.

Kanoe 05-24-2020 06:45 PM

That is shockingly bad. I’d agree with OP that should be parted.

I can’t believe how good it looked in the topside photos. Even the rear bumper looks ok.