Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   LED pods in headlights? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/286577-led-pods-headlights.html)

royal T4R 05-26-2020 07:16 PM

LED pods in headlights?

I have seen one or two of these retrofits in the 03-05 housing and im interested in doing something similar. Anyone have a build thread or know of anyone that comes to mind? Id like to avoid the ditch light bracket setup as I dont want someone coming around to steal my expensive pods.

Quick edit:

I am going for amber BD squadron Sports in there, they would not be used as a running light.

riceandpho 05-28-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by royal T4R (Post 3495494)
I have seen one or two of these retrofits in the 03-05 housing and im interested in doing something similar. Anyone have a build thread or know of anyone that comes to mind? Id like to avoid the ditch light bracket setup as I dont want someone coming around to steal my expensive pods.

its a waste of money putting led pod in the high beam area. with the 03-05 headlights, a good bi-xenon projector can fit better in the low beam area vs the 06-09 models.
with the bi-xenon projectors wired up with factory high beams, you can get quad high beam output. if you got some patience, you can still fit the old and true fx-r in there, i think the morimoto d2s 5.0 is nicer. well if you want to splurge on rx350 and have it tuned, you dont want to compare these with the aftermarket offerings.

LordAbdullah 05-28-2020 01:02 PM

I considered doing the same when I did my retrofit - however, it would probably not pass safety if i ever needed to get one done, and if I get pulled over it would be way too obvious my lights have had work done to them. the retrofit route with regular projectors looks a lot cleaner and attracts less heat from the police.

Not to mention, if the LED does go bad... you'd have to take the whole thing apart. You can't just replace the bulb like you can with the regular lighting systems.

royal T4R 05-28-2020 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riceandpho (Post 3496356)
its a waste of money putting led pod in the high beam area. with the 03-05 headlights, a good bi-xenon projector can fit better in the low beam area vs the 06-09 models.
with the bi-xenon projectors wired up with factory high beams, you can get quad high beam output. if you got some patience, you can still fit the old and true fx-r in there, i think the morimoto d2s 5.0 is nicer. well if you want to splurge on rx350 and have it tuned, you dont want to compare these with the aftermarket offerings.

I was thinking a BD Squadron sport in amber in the headlight housing as id just need it to paint the trails in amber lighting. I am worried about someone taking the lights off my rig. I know they make "security" fasteners but I do not want to have to spend another $50 to secure the lights.

royal T4R 05-28-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordAbdullah (Post 3496461)
I considered doing the same when I did my retrofit - however, it would probably not pass safety if i ever needed to get one done, and if I get pulled over it would be way too obvious my lights have had work done to them. the retrofit route with regular projectors looks a lot cleaner and attracts less heat from the police.

Not to mention, if the LED does go bad... you'd have to take the whole thing apart. You can't just replace the bulb like you can with the regular lighting systems.

I am lucky enough not to live in a place where I need a safety inspection. I hear you on the LED burning out but I think that a pod form a reputable manufacturer would be pretty safe.

originalg00kster 05-28-2020 09:11 PM

Idk where you live but I don't worry about my BD's because everyone and their mom has em here in San Diego.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

royal T4R 05-29-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalg00kster (Post 3496744)
Idk where you live but I don't worry about my BD's because everyone and their mom has em here in San Diego.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SF/Bay Area.

I always get lucky with people vandalizing my vehicles.

KrisB410 06-05-2020 08:57 AM

I'm doing a retrofit. Morimoto mLED 2.0s and mini HBs. No "pod" will be able to touch the performance or looks.