Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Confused test drive (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/286620-confused-test-drive.html)

tempguy 05-27-2020 04:20 PM

Confused test drive

I test drove 2020 ORP without KDSS at one dealership, I liked the car, the pickup was ok, not amazing but it was acceptable. When I went to test drive the car that I was picking up from a different dealership with KDSS, the pickup was realllllly bad. Now this car had a new engine smell when I floored it, while the previous one didn't. The sales rep was shocked about my complaint said its normal with a brand new engine, am I missing something?, is it really a new car thing, can there be that big of a difference from one dealer to the next ?

Dillusion 05-27-2020 07:25 PM

You driving a 2 ton + SUV with a V6.

What is this pickup you talk about?

Not sure what you are trying to get at. The 4R is by no means the most powerful thing on the road. But its more than sufficient.

thennen 05-27-2020 08:24 PM

Must be a perception thing. The vehicles are essentially identical.

Thebeastlives 05-28-2020 02:58 AM

Never understood how people think a SUV that is built for offroad with ok on the road manners is going to have performance like a sport SUV. If you want performance and comfort buy a sport SUV like BMW X5/X6, Audi Q5, or even Ford Explorer eco boost. They won't get you far off the trail but they will accelerate faster. Damn the highlander hybrid or v6 is faster than our 4 runner and it rides better on the road.

Ogre75 05-28-2020 07:39 AM

:confused:

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about... trucks in a 4R forum, new engine smell...

techno 05-28-2020 02:27 PM

The OP is not complaining about the acceleration in all 4Runners, he's questioning a noticeable difference between two specific vehicles. Two identical 4Runners, but one accelerates better than the other.

It could be an engine break-in period thing. Do you remember how many miles were on the first one you drove?

thennen 05-28-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno (Post 3496519)
The OP is not complaining about the acceleration in all 4Runners, he's questioning a noticeable difference between two specific vehicles. Two identical 4Runners, but one accelerates better than the other.

It could be an engine break-in period thing. Do you remember how many miles were on the first one you drove?

I can't imagine there would be a noticeable difference regardless of the mileage. Since both were being sold as new, they had to be not too far apart in miles. Does KDSS limit squat when accelerating? If so, maybe he just perceived a difference because the nose didn't lift as much. Just a thought.

KSJ088 05-28-2020 06:32 PM

Yeah I can NEVER understand people that whine about the "hole shot" on their 4Runners!!:der::wow2::rtfm::shocked: It's an SUV that is SO Capable of what it WAS/IS Designed for Street driven/OFF ROAD Mastering!!!:ybrick::redbrick::shrug:

TomsPro 05-28-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

It could be an engine break-in period thing.

When I picked up my vehicle, I never even test drove it. It's a PRO, why would you? Anyways, on the way home I thought, gawd, this thing is a dog. So, a tank or two of Premium (non-ethanol) fuel and with a few miles on the engine, it started moving along quite well. That, or I just got used to it, but I don't think so. Good fuel can make a difference.

Dillusion 05-28-2020 07:27 PM

Its the heavy "Pro" badging holding you back.

Oldmanb777 05-29-2020 12:24 AM

"Dealer mode" ?

mcat707 05-29-2020 03:43 PM

Slap on a Sprint Booster and switch on to Race Mode 9. Problem should go away.

Gamma Ray 05-29-2020 05:31 PM

So many of you guys are sooooooooooo missing this guy's point.

:rtfm:

SpeedyKevin 05-29-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Just putting this up here again as a reminder for the majority folks lol

Dillusion 05-29-2020 07:25 PM

Majority know wtf hes asking. Majority don't care and just like giving a little shit for it.

Like we are supposed to know what 2 different 4Runners we never test drive felt like. I mean its brand new take it back?