Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Do people still use 4th gen 5100s with 890s? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/286680-do-people-still-use-4th-gen-5100s-890s.html)

jross20 05-29-2020 08:40 AM

Do people still use 4th gen 5100s with 890s?

I found a couple of old posts and threads but I cannot seem to find any concrete information. Looking for a good replacement to my tundra 5100s with my 890s. (Talking about the rear of course)

Someone said LC shocks, but they are apparently extremely long... But the 4th gen 5100s supposedly work well with these coils. At least based on the limit information I found

Anyone running them? Thoughts or Opinions?

Bad Luck 05-29-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3496934)
I found a couple of old posts and threads but I cannot seem to find any concrete information. Looking for a good replacement to my tundra 5100s with my 890s. (Talking about the rear of course)

Someone said LC shocks, but they are apparently extremely long... But the 4th gen 5100s supposedly work well with these coils. At least based on the limit information I found

Anyone running them? Thoughts or Opinions?

FJ80 Rear Shock Input Please Post #48 in this thread gives you lengths of different shocks. Why are you wanting to change shocks?

jross20 05-29-2020 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3496970)
FJ80 Rear Shock Input Please Post #48 in this thread gives you lengths of different shocks. Why are you wanting to change shocks?

The rear tundra 5100s ride like ass haha. Probably due to them being designed for leaf springs I guess. They barely do anything so the rear is just wild and uncomfortable

Checking this thread now, thanks for the link!

fixxor 05-29-2020 11:29 AM

I made the same mistake. I ordered the longer 5100 shocks on Wheelers not knowing they were really Tundra shocks and a lot more softer. Terrible, I put back on the 5100 ones that are only 2" but they are much more stiff and feel a lot better. I didnt know about the 4th gen shocks, be interesting to know if thats the way to go.

3bears 05-29-2020 01:15 PM

let us know what you find out...as I have a lift in the future...most likely this fall...so always wanting to learn from others what they find works and does not.
Ive read about all the threads and videos out there on this topic....but always good to hear/read more up to date stuff as some is out dated.

Ser1clymb 05-29-2020 01:43 PM

I've been running 890 coils and the 4th gen 5100 shocks for almost a year now. I've been really happy so far with the ride quality and the flex. I have a stock bumper and not much weight besides my spare in the back. I think I'm sitting about 3.5 - 3.75 inches in the back (I can't remember exactly). I have been starting to look at some other options though, mainly to upgrade to something more progressive for that buttery smooth feeling, but I'm in no rush.

jross20 05-29-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxor (Post 3497025)
I made the same mistake. I ordered the longer 5100 shocks on Wheelers not knowing they were really Tundra shocks and a lot more softer. Terrible, I put back on the 5100 ones that are only 2" but they are much more stiff and feel a lot better. I didnt know about the 4th gen shocks, be interesting to know if thats the way to go.

I originally had them with 906's, but the 906's almost fell so I got 890s...then over time I just became more and more disappointed lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3497096)
let us know what you find out...as I have a lift in the future...most likely this fall...so always wanting to learn from others what they find works and does not.
Ive read about all the threads and videos out there on this topic....but always good to hear/read more up to date stuff as some is out dated.

Are you getting 890s? I'm deciding between the 4th 5100s OR LC shocks as I saw some people recommend. the only downside is that I guess the land cruiser are long as hell so idk about that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser1clymb (Post 3497109)
I've been running 890 coils and the 4th gen 5100 shocks for almost a year now. I've been really happy so far with the ride quality and the flex. I have a stock bumper and not much weight besides my spare in the back. I think I'm sitting about 3.5 - 3.75 inches in the back (I can't remember exactly). I have been starting to look at some other options though, mainly to upgrade to something more progressive for that buttery smooth feeling, but I'm in no rush.

Oh shit, how do they handle hard dips and bumps? And how is compression? I saw that the 4th gen 5100 are pushing 15" compressed...Lord. that seems long.
I don't wanna kill up travel lol

Ever used LC shocks? But I presume they are long as hell too...

bowrappyo 05-29-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3497000)
The rear tundra 5100s ride like ass haha. Probably due to them being designed for leaf springs I guess. They barely do anything so the rear is just wild and uncomfortable

Checking this thread now, thanks for the link!

I have the exact setup (well similar, I have 906's) and it is so bad! I need to fix it and I have a sleeping platform so even worse!

phattyduck 05-29-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3497246)
Are you getting 890s? I'm deciding between the 4th 5100s OR LC shocks as I saw some people recommend. the only downside is that I guess the land cruiser are long as hell so idk about that...

4th/5th/FJ shocks are ~3/4" longer (compressed and extended) than the Land Cruiser shocks.

-Charlie

3bears 05-29-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3497246)
I originally had them with 906's, but the 906's almost fell so I got 890s...then over time I just became more and more disappointed lol.

Oh shit, how do they handle hard dips and bumps? And how is compression? I saw that the 4th gen 5100 are pushing 15" compressed...Lord. that seems long.

I have not decided yet on what it will be...only want to go only 2" and support plate bumper with wench and swing out on back...but today...even with my highlander talls...i was hitting....rough roads up here to get home this time of year...with roads melting ( called breakup here) the roads really heave...even paved roads... I hit some pretty bumpy stuff..

jross20 05-29-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3497296)
4th/5th/FJ shocks are ~3/4" longer (compressed and extended) than the Land Cruiser shocks.

-Charlie

Oh wow, yeah I found some info in that other thread. Posting a screenshot of it. The OEM LC sound promising honestly... But what are tokico? Aftermarket?

https://i.imgur.com/FP23kle.jpg

Ser1clymb 05-31-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

I think they've been fine, or I haven't noticed them bottoming out. I don't keep any weight in the back except for my spare tire and a small (5-7 pound) tool kit. I will freely admit that I'm not that experienced and there is a ton that I don't know and I could be screwing up my suspension. I've been considering something else in the back just because I want a better setup all-around. I've been considering some fox or kings.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 05-31-2020 07:33 PM

the OEM shocks for the rear of the LC80 are too long for the ome 890 coil springs. those springs only provide around 2" - 2.5" of lift (after sagging after a week's use). The LC80 or the bilsten 4th gen 5100 shocks are better matched for the LC80 coil springs or those with around 3.75" - 4.5" of lift.

For ome 890s, i would use the bilstein 5100 for 4Runners that are meant for 0" - 2" of lift.

Dieselchessy 05-31-2020 10:35 PM

I somewhat agree with the OP. I’m running tundra coils and billsteins up front and 890’s and tundra billsteins in the rear.

The ride is soft and the front feels controlled, but the back feels too soft and bouncy, a bit like the tail is wagging the dog.

I’ve got the spare and maybe 100# of gear in the back.

jross20 06-01-2020 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ser1clymb (Post 3498008)
I think they've been fine, or I haven't noticed them bottoming out. I don't keep any weight in the back except for my spare tire and a small (5-7 pound) tool kit. I will freely admit that I'm not that experienced and there is a ton that I don't know and I could be screwing up my suspension. I've been considering something else in the back just because I want a better setup all-around. I've been considering some fox or kings.

Sorry which did you have again?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3498013)
the OEM shocks for the rear of the LC80 are too long for the ome 890 coil springs. those springs only provide around 2" - 2.5" of lift (after sagging after a week's use). The LC80 or the bilsten 4th gen 5100 shocks are better matched for the LC80 coil springs or those with around 3.75" - 4.5" of lift.

For ome 890s, i would use the bilstein 5100 for 4Runners that are meant for 0" - 2" of lift.

See I thought the 890's were a "3 inch lift" set. I was thinking about getting the 4runner 5100s but I didn't want to top out the shocks so the time. Or will it be fine?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselchessy (Post 3498069)
I somewhat agree with the OP. I’m running tundra coils and billsteins up front and 890’s and tundra billsteins in the rear.

The ride is soft and the front feels controlled, but the back feels too soft and bouncy, a bit like the tail is wagging the dog.

I’ve got the spare and maybe 100# of gear in the back.

Oh do you have the trd coils? I have 880's and the ride is too stiff. I was probably going to swap to 3rd gen 5100s