Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Hitch mount length? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286776-hitch-mount-length.html)

JFlo76 05-31-2020 09:33 PM

Hitch mount length?

I'm trying to find a 2" hitch mount for my 2018 4Runner... I found one by Curt that I was going to order on Amazon, but their website says it won't fit my vehicle. Receiver is 2" wide, but looking at the product pic, it appears the placement of the pin hole is further back than what my receiver appears to have... if that makes sense? Most of the hitch mounts seem like they will stick out quite a ways from the receiver, based on the images & pin hole placement. Is that normal?

If I have Amazon show me products that fit my vehicle, no results! Here's a link to the one I was looking at...

Amazon.com: CURT 45036 Trailer Hitch Mount with 2-Inch Ball & Pin, Fits 2-in Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 2" Drop: Automotive

What gives? Are there any Curt hitch mounts that will fit a 2018 4runner? Will I need to buy an OEM hitch mount?

Forgive my newb-ness in towing knowledge!

Fool-on-the-Hill 05-31-2020 09:58 PM

Check etrailer:

Etrailer

spartacus 05-31-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFlo76 (Post 3498039)
I'm trying to find a 2" hitch mount for my 2018 4Runner... I found one by Curt that I was going to order on Amazon, but their website says it won't fit my vehicle. Receiver is 2" wide, but looking at the product pic, it appears the placement of the pin hole is further back than what my receiver appears to have... if that makes sense? Most of the hitch mounts seem like they will stick out quite a ways from the receiver, based on the images & pin hole placement. Is that normal?

If I have Amazon show me products that fit my vehicle, no results! Here's a link to the one I was looking at...

Amazon.com: CURT 45036 Trailer Hitch Mount with 2-Inch Ball & Pin, Fits 2-in Receiver, 7,500 lbs, 2" Drop: Automotive

What gives? Are there any Curt hitch mounts that will fit a 2018 4runner? Will I need to buy an OEM hitch mount?

Forgive my newb-ness in towing knowledge!

It's 8 1/4 inches from the center of the ball to the pin hole. it's rated for 7500 lbs. It will fit but the trailer will be a little further back Toyota OEM hitch mount are real tight. Go to etrailer.com and look there, lots of resources. I've used a hitch like that with a travel trailer without any issues but with a trailer braking system. keep in mind that the 4runner is rated at 5k lbs and I don't like to go over 4k lbs towing.

Cndnmax 05-31-2020 10:28 PM

Any hitch mount that fits a 2” receiver will fit, you just have to chose the proper drop and length for your need.
Where you will have issues is with locking pins. Some 2” hitch pins will be too short. I went with a 2.5” hitch pin and have plenty of room for the lock.

Jemplyr77 05-31-2020 11:22 PM

I have a Reese hitch with a 2” drop. Works fine.

JFlo76 06-02-2020 04:48 PM

Ok, thanks everyone for the info. I'll figure it out.