Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Gen 1 and Gen 2 SC'r differences? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/286778-gen-1-gen-2-scr-differences.html)

CWccw 05-31-2020 10:50 PM

Gen 1 and Gen 2 SC'r differences?

Big thing Im wondering, is why would someone want a Gen 1 over a Gen 2 besides cost? I found a good priced Gen 1 but.. its the Gen 1 is ugly. I know nothing and am not finding the info needed when I search. I do know the M90 area and how the Gen V is far better than the Gen III.

CWccw 06-30-2020 08:03 PM

bump

Bad Luck 07-01-2020 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWccw (Post 3498073)
Big thing Im wondering, is why would someone want a Gen 1 over a Gen 2 besides cost? I found a good priced Gen 1 but.. its the Gen 1 is ugly. I know nothing and am not finding the info needed when I search. I do know the M90 area and how the Gen V is far better than the Gen III.

The main difference to me is how the two units are repaired:

"Supercharger wear

The bearings in the nose cone of the supercharger are only rated to last about 100k miles. This is one area where the 2nd gen supercharger really shows its advantages.

-The 1st gen unit must be taken off and either sent in to Magnuson to be rebuilt (usually $500+) or rebuilt at home if you have the right tools. DIY rebuilds can be done for around $200 with a lot of elbow grease.

-The 2nd (4th) gen unit can be rebuilt in your garage while its still on the vehicle. To do so you need the TRD Nose cone kit (PN: PTR29-35042) it comes with a new nose cone with the bearing already pressed in and a bottle of new supercharger oil and some gasket sealant."

Yoter 07-01-2020 05:41 PM

Yes there is a massive difference, Gen 2 has a search function.

Read this thread:
The 3.4L TRD Supercharger Thread

gamefreakgc 07-01-2020 08:45 PM

The Gen 2 black units have the Gen 1 units beat in every possible area except for one: The old grey Gen 1 units can be ported. Supposed gains are in the 10%-15% range as quoted by the rebuilders (take that with a grain of salt) which would translate to 6-9 HP increase with a stock pulley. More with fuel support and smaller pulleys.