Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Ordering a TRD Pro Army Green - Possible to make a deal? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286824-ordering-trd-pro-army-green-possible-make-deal.html)

Brancart675 06-01-2020 09:58 PM

Ordering a TRD Pro Army Green - Possible to make a deal?

Hey everyone,

New to the forum and looking forward to hopefully having my hands on a new 4Runner soon. On that note, I have been doing a ton of research and know that the TRD Pro in Army Green is the one for me. I realize I am behind the curve but I am wanting to order one through a local dealer (one closest to me says they can still get them). Some of you may read this and wonder why I wouldn’t go find one sitting on a lot somewhere and that is a good question, but for many factors I won’t go into, timing is everything and the 45-60 days the dealer told me helps me on that timeline so I’m willing to wait.

I’ve recently read that there are some dealers across the nation that have knocked a few thousand dollars off TRD Pro’s sitting on their lot, likely due to reduced sales from COVID. I’m wondering if it is possible to negotiate a deal on a TRD Pro upfront knowing the dealer would need to order it? I’m not looking to drive a hard bargain here, I realize they are hurting and wouldn’t want to take advantage of that but if there was a way for it to be a win-win in that they get a guaranteed sale on a car that they will have zero holding costs on, whether asking for a deal upfront is reasonable.

Thoughts?

umidkusername 06-01-2020 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brancart675 (Post 3498521)
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and looking forward to hopefully having my hands on a new 4Runner soon. On that note, I have been doing a ton of research and know that the TRD Pro in Army Green is the one for me. I realize I am behind the curve but I am wanting to order one through a local dealer (one closest to me says they can still get them). Some of you may read this and wonder why I wouldn’t go find one sitting on a lot somewhere and that is a good question, but for many factors I won’t go into, timing is everything and the 45-60 days the dealer told me helps me on that timeline so I’m willing to wait.

I’ve recently read that there are some dealers across the nation that have knocked a few thousand dollars off TRD Pro’s sitting on their lot, likely due to reduced sales from COVID. I’m wondering if it is possible to negotiate a deal on a TRD Pro upfront knowing the dealer would need to order it? I’m not looking to drive a hard bargain here, I realize they are hurting and wouldn’t want to take advantage of that but if there was a way for it to be a win-win in that they get a guaranteed sale on a car that they will have zero holding costs on, whether asking for a deal upfront is reasonable.

Thoughts?

I see them knocking off some cost on the ones on the lots but not from an order.

I got one from the lot, midnight black with stupid little dots, and got stuff for free and it was marked down to 48k. Also got an extra 2k on my trade in. I robbed those jokers but they were desperate. My TRD Pro had 4 miles on it. Which gave me some anxiety because with a new engine you never know if something is breaking and hasn’t been long enough to notice.

But anyway, I would say you’re looking at better deals if you’re willing to travel to get it. Could also drive to a state with no sales tax to save a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CavPro 06-01-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brancart675 (Post 3498521)
Hey everyone,

Thoughts?

Use cars.com or comparable site, search there will give a great indication of who's got them with contact info. i just checked, there are almost more green pro's (134) than all the other colors combined in "all miles"

Glenn Goodlett 06-01-2020 10:22 PM

My local dealer said that they would have me one in 8-12 weeks...that was in January. I found one out of state, paid list, and another $1500 to have it delivered half way across the nation in a week.

nm_t4r 06-01-2020 10:34 PM

American Toyota in Albuquerque, NM claims to have 2! Send them an e-mail. I bought my 2018 Limited from them and worked with Adam Milinazzo. Not sure if he is still there but you can give him a shout - Adam Milinazzo at [email protected].

Good luck.

Redsoxx1918 06-02-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umidkusername (Post 3498523)
I see them knocking off some cost on the ones on the lots but not from an order.

I got one from the lot, midnight black with stupid little dots, and got stuff for free and it was marked down to 48k. Also got an extra 2k on my trade in. I robbed those jokers but they were desperate. My TRD Pro had 4 miles on it. Which gave me some anxiety because with a new engine you never know if something is breaking and hasn’t been long enough to notice.

But anyway, I would say you’re looking at better deals if you’re willing to travel to get it. Could also drive to a state with no sales tax to save a little.

The sales tax savings won’t work. You have to pay sales tax for whatever state you’re gonna register it in.

CRB Racing 06-02-2020 12:29 AM

If you really want to buy a new AG TRDP, I would start looking for one on a dealer lot.
When I picked mine up my salesperson told me that they aren’t taking anymore orders because they are pretty much all allocated.
Might be true, might be false...
Not really worth sitting around and missing your chance to get what you want.

david05111 06-02-2020 12:33 AM

For what it's worth, my AG TRDP was $4k off back in February. That dealer was willing to trade the black one they had to get me one I wanted. That didn't work out, so they "stole" one off the boat that was bound for another dealer apparently.

They got me exactly what I wanted in terms of options and everything. That's after they told me that they couldn't really order one, because that not how Toyota worked. They said that Toyota basically sends them what they send them, and that orders with specific options aren't really a thing.

It all worked out in the end though.

Sonoran_Desert 06-02-2020 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umidkusername (Post 3498523)
I got one from the lot, midnight black with stupid little dots, and got stuff for free and it was marked down to 48k.

Did you ever figure out what caused the stupid little dots or if they can be removed?

umidkusername 06-02-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonoran_Desert (Post 3498626)
Did you ever figure out what caused the stupid little dots or if they can be removed?

I think it’s part of the paint, no way to remove. It’ll require a new paint job. I’m going to do that anyway though at some point down the road. I haven’t decided on the color but probably some shade of red.

It needs to be professionally done to do it right and that’s costs at least 4-5k so I gotta wait a bit.

AZ Craig 06-02-2020 07:17 PM

Definitely agree with comments to look at vehicles available on dealers lots currently. The dealer you are working with I bet isn't so much ordering one as they have an allocation coming in that nobody has dibs on. I don't think these can really be ordered per-say, especially considering they are all coming in from Japan.

If they'll give it to you at MSRP and you don't want to play games or have to pay for shipping a vehicle, that may be the best you can count on at this point.

I got the first one allocated to Avondale Toyota roughly November 1 last year and got it at MSRP with a solid trade in on my 2016. That worked for me at that point. A lot has happened since then :).

Sonoran_Desert 06-02-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umidkusername (Post 3498653)
I think it’s part of the paint, no way to remove. It’ll require a new paint job. I’m going to do that anyway though at some point down the road. I haven’t decided on the color but probably some shade of red.

It needs to be professionally done to do it right and that’s costs at least 4-5k so I gotta wait a bit.

Not a bad plan. No worries about scratches and have some fun until you repaint.

Brancart675 06-03-2020 08:58 PM

The stars must haven aligned or something but I got lucky today and found a TRD Pro in Army Green that was in transit to a dealer here in DFW that was not already allocated. Went up to the dealer and worked out a deal. There had been a few other people asking about the car shortly after and so had I of gotten there any later I might not have gotten it.

CavPro 06-03-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brancart675 (Post 3499488)
The stars must haven aligned or something but I got lucky today and found a TRD Pro in Army Green that was in transit to a dealer here in DFW that was not already allocated. Went up to the dealer and worked out a deal. There had been a few other people asking about the car shortly after and so had I of gotten there any later I might not have gotten it.

WTG congrats. That's how I got mine, none anywhere nearby, signed up with trucar and 10 minutes later dealer 2nd closest to me called and said they had one 2 weeks out. It never hit the sales floor.

david05111 06-04-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brancart675 (Post 3499488)

What kind of deal did you get?