Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Paint protection for backroads? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286854-paint-protection-backroads.html)

kaitlyn2004 06-02-2020 11:32 PM

Paint protection for backroads?

Just picked up my 2020 4Runner TRD Off-road today and am unsure about pain protection.

Really, what I am most concerned about is pinstriping from driving up narrow forestry roads where branches are virtually guaranteed to be scraping against the car.

Naturally, some form of paint protection around the rest of the body would be a huge bonus.

So I don't know if your "standard" paint protection option protects against something like this - obviously touching the car, pressure, scraping it sort of thing.

I've heard of 3M film, ceramic pro, possibly some others I can't remember. Really not sure what to pick - seems there are so many options and the pricing is all over the place!

euser 06-02-2020 11:36 PM

The only way to avoid the pin striping is careful driving and avoiding roads narrower than the 4Runner. Its gonna get scratched up regardless of what you do besides maybe wrapping the whole vehicle.

kaitlyn2004 06-02-2020 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euser (Post 3499081)
The only way to avoid the pin striping is careful driving and avoiding roads narrower than the 4Runner. Its gonna get scratched up regardless of what you do besides maybe wrapping the whole vehicle.

Pin striping definitely will happen. I guess it's time to accept it as a badge of honor :p

patkelly4370 06-03-2020 12:52 AM

Mine started day one, on purpose. I bought the 4runner to go offroading.
The truck is going to get scratched and dinged in parking lots. I wanted the first ones to be on my terms.
Wife said "you'll never go offroading with that beautiful paint". My reply "I accept that challenge".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kaitlyn2004 06-03-2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patkelly4370 (Post 3499110)
Mine started day one, on purpose. I bought the 4runner to go offroading.
The truck is going to get scratched and dinged in parking lots. I wanted the first ones to be on my terms.
Wife said "you'll never go offroading with that beautiful paint". My reply "I accept that challenge".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I might be hitting some FSRs this weekend... so we'll see! I don't think I'll embrace it quite as proudly as you, though! :)

AZ Craig 06-03-2020 01:07 AM

I thought about wrapping my black one but all the research I've done on vinyl wraps is that they'll get damaged by anything that would hit you hard enough to pin stripe.

Generally my philosophy has been to try to avoid super narrow stuff and not deliberately smack into stuff any harder than I need to, but I already have some nice visible stripes on my 2020 from a few runs out.

C'est la vie. If you wheel, you gets stripes. Especially in Arizona.

SpeedyKevin 06-03-2020 01:56 AM

You could try a ceramic coat but pinstriping will eventually happen. Took me time to accept it...now im like eh

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d8&oe=5EFC6377

RusPro17 06-03-2020 08:46 AM

Wrapping it

I thought about doing my AG Pro. Fully clear wrapped. But decided not to. I’m probably just have the same guy do ceramic coat. I have my 19 Z06 black fully clear wrapped. That is the only way you will protect your 4runner from getting it scratched. But it will probably cost you depending where you live. 5000 to 6000.

NW.OH.T4R 06-03-2020 08:48 AM

Xpel PPF with a ceramic coating on top is probably your best chance of avoidance and even with this combination it's no guarantee. It's a costly "maybe". I had the front, full hood, A-pillars, and above the windshield done and it was ~2k.

Ogre75 06-03-2020 08:52 AM

Say "F" it and Line-X the whole dang thing

final 06-03-2020 09:34 AM

More importantly since you have a new car and a clean frame (and going to be driving in Vancouver and the surrounding areas), is to have a plan to protect your frame from rust....

Congratulations on your new 4Runner.

spartacus 06-03-2020 11:31 AM

This might help Toyota 4Runner - Gen5

sn_85 06-03-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyKevin (Post 3499124)
You could try a ceramic coat but pinstriping will eventually happen. Took me time to accept it...now im like eh

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d8&oe=5EFC6377

Yup. Get the first one out of the way and it's no longer a problem :D

NW.OH.T4R 06-03-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 3499227)
This might help Toyota 4Runner - Gen5

When these were first released, the offerings were primarily variations of camo or similar patterns. I completely wrote them off, but now seeing more minimalist designs I'm going to take a closer look at these. Thank you! These will pick up perfectly where my Xpel stops.

BackOff 06-03-2020 12:25 PM

get a buffer and rubbing compound.