Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Another popping sound (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/286958-another-popping-sound.html)

DEF4Runner 06-06-2020 07:40 PM

Another popping sound

I'll preface this by saying I've searched the forums a bit and can't find the droid I'm looking for.

2020 OR with 3,500 miles making a popping sound from under the rear anywhere from 3-5 minutes after parking and shutting the engine. Familiar sounds that remind me of what I'm talking about is the backfire of my neighbor's gas-powered pressure washer (or anyone else's) and (probably more so) setting the bead on a new tire install. It's not as loud or surprising as either of those but it DOES sound like something is expanding/contracting. The old creaky exhaust pipes on my 4th gen used to make some noises after parking, but it was obvious it was heat dissemination from hot metal piping. That's NOT what this is. It's just a single 'pop' and it's all done.

If nothing else, I'll just bring it up to the dealer during the next scheduled service.

Again, apologies if a thread on this already exists...did my best to find it. ;)

Any thoughts?

shrub1 06-06-2020 08:41 PM

You sure it isn't the gear selector settling into position once the truck is turned off? After you park (and turn off the truck) rock the truck back and forth a couple times and most times there will be a slight click/pop. Is that what you hear?

DEF4Runner 06-06-2020 09:02 PM

No, I park on a slightly decling driveway and it settles before I get out.

I'm going to climb under the next time I park at home and patiently wait...maybe get a recording.

4RunnerAquasport 06-06-2020 09:33 PM

Evap canister/fuel system equalizing? Never noticed anything like that on my 12' but that don't mean squat. Certain systems change over the course of 8 production years.

ExSubi 06-15-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEF4Runner (Post 3500756)
No, I park on a slightly decling driveway and it settles before I get out.

I'm going to climb under the next time I park at home and patiently wait...maybe get a recording.

Sorry to resurrect this. Did you figure out what this is? I have the same thing—a single pop shortly after shutting the engine off. I suspect it’s a heat shield contracting. When I gently tap the larger heat shield in the middle of the truck, the sound is pretty similar

fbtn007 01-09-2022 05:04 PM

I have hear the same when I shutting off my car engine.
In the end, there is a popping sound. Do you know why?

DEF4Runner 01-10-2022 08:25 PM

Nope, never figured it out...sounds like a half full balloon pops, and wouldn't you know it, my dealership can't reproduce the sound. Oh well, 20K+ miles and nothing bad has happened yet.