Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   02 2wd Recommended suspension parts (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/287321-02-2wd-recommended-suspension-parts.html)

pedalquickly 06-17-2020 08:44 PM

02 2wd Recommended suspension parts

I have a 2002 2wd with 119,000 miles. Its got the sagging rear and wanders when driving on windy days. I want to spiff everything back up. First I'd like to raise it only about 1" above stock. I had an 01 a few years back and put new shocks and springs on it from OME. It was raised a bit more than I'd like with this one.

So I'm looking for recommended springs and shocks (i don't carry any weight above stock 4runner). Which OME (or other brand) do I need?

Also, what are the recommended suspension parts (bushings, etc) that I need to replace. Please note I have limited funds and don't have to have over the top stuff..I just want a comfy ride.. would Moog be out of the question?

Is there a suspension "kit" that has all the things I need that can be recommended?

Thanks!

RandyBobandy 06-17-2020 09:26 PM

I would look into the 99 tall coils and some oem or equivalent shocks, that should give you the 1" over stock you're looking for and keep the ride nice. I would consider doing lower ball joints while you're at it, oem only on those.

your bushings are likely still good since you have pretty low miles, if you do decide to replace them I would use oem, those will ride the best, I run poly everything but it gives a much firmer ride.

someone who did the 99 spring upgrade can probably direct you towards a kit or link to source for the parts

pedalquickly 06-18-2020 07:26 AM

So, I can just go to auto parts store and ask for coils and shocks for a 99 model? I'm sure that would be less than OME.

Bad Luck 06-18-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalquickly (Post 3505965)
So, I can just go to auto parts store and ask for coils and shocks for a 99 model? I'm sure that would be less than OME.

Moog springs and KYB shocks for a 1999 4wd 4Runner should get you what you need.

phattyduck 06-18-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3505985)
Moog springs and KYB shocks for a 1999 4wd 4Runner should get you what you need.

4WD springs in the front of a 2WD will be 1/4-1/2" taller than stated. You may need small spacers in the rear to compensate (10mm trim packers from OME).

Moog springs aren't the greatest, but they are cheap!

-Charlie

Twisted Sid 06-18-2020 07:11 PM

On my 99 2wd, I replaced the shocks with all bilsteins and did the moog '99 4wd springs and everything is good. I didnt want any lift because I only run a 30x9.50 tire and this thing doesnt see much more than a dirt road or fire trail. The ride is firm but not uncomfortable and it always feels planted and stable.
I do not recommend poly bushings for a daily driver. Doing those is the only regret I have and wish I would have done rubber replacements.
With yours having low mileage, I doubt your bushings or ball joints are bad. My oem lowers were replaced at 260k and were loose but not sloppy.

pedalquickly 06-19-2020 09:19 AM

So, if I were to go to somewhere like Oriellys' I just ask for 1999 4 wheel drive coil springs for front an rear and they should fit my 02? Also was hoping to replace the front shocks/springs as a unit so I don't have to deal with mating the individual parts up.. suggestions?

Bad Luck 06-19-2020 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalquickly (Post 3506502)
So, if I were to go to somewhere like Oriellys' I just ask for 1999 4 wheel drive coil springs for front an rear and they should fit my 02? Also was hoping to replace the front shocks/springs as a unit so I don't have to deal with mating the individual parts up.. suggestions?

I'm 99 percent sure that most auto parts stores don't sell a loaded strut for our 4Runners. Front and rear springs from any 3rd gen 4Runner are interchangeable.

Kanoe 06-19-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

I’ve only seen loaded front struts in really cheap setups or in high end coilovers. For the moog/ kyb route you might have to buy separate.

Advantage of separate is you can use your oem tophat which is likely still in fine shape.

phattyduck 06-19-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Also was hoping to replace the front shocks/springs as a unit so I don't have to deal with mating the individual parts up.. suggestions?

Don't use any of the parts store crap complete units for that.

Most independent shops will assemble a pair of shock or strut assemblies for like $40.

-Charlie

pedalquickly 06-21-2020 10:07 AM

Okay, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I will go the moog spring route for a 99 4wd. I just am asking for feedback confirming that front and rear coils for a 99 4wd will indeed fit my 2002 2wd? Seems I am going to have to order online and I would like to install them next weekend.

Thanks in advance for the help.

pedalquickly 06-22-2020 11:56 AM

Well I just bought some coils for a 99 4 wheel drive...Guess I'll see if they work.

phattyduck 06-22-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalquickly (Post 3507801)
Well I just bought some coils for a 99 4 wheel drive...Guess I'll see if they work.

They will fit fine. The front may be higher than expected, but it will not cause any problems other than looks.

-Charlie

pedalquickly 06-22-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3507881)
They will fit fine. The front may be higher than expected, but it will not cause any problems other than looks.

-Charlie

Thanks phattyduck! I appreciate all the great info from these forums.

pedalquickly 06-23-2020 07:04 AM

I just thought of something. Will 02 struts and shocks work with 99 coils?