Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Normal for rubbing after spider trax 1.25 spacer install? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/287368-normal-rubbing-after-spider-trax-1-25-spacer-install.html)

Justin.Geer81 06-18-2020 09:04 PM

Normal for rubbing after spider trax 1.25 spacer install?

Easy install ... looks great ... but I noticed when I backed out that I’m rubbing now

I’m lifted 3 in the front and 2 in the back ... didn’t think I would run into that quite yet ... it without bigger tires ... still on the stock 265’s

So how y’all fitting the 285’s and bigger ... is everybody trimming with such a basic setup like I have right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daytonaviolet 06-18-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin.Geer81 (Post 3506332)
Easy install ... looks great ... but I noticed when I backed out that I’m rubbing now

I’m lifted 3 in the front and 2 in the back ... didn’t think I would run into that quite yet ... it without bigger tires ... still on the stock 265’s

So how y’all fitting the 285’s and bigger ... is everybody trimming with such a basic setup like I have right now?

Pushing the wheels out will change everything. Areas where you didn’t rub before may rub now. Go see where you rub (back of bumper or liner). Or maybe mudflaps or Bmc.

Justin.Geer81 06-18-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daytonaviolet (Post 3506335)
Pushing the wheels out will change everything. Areas where you didn’t rub before may rub now. Go see where you rub (back of bumper or liner). Or maybe mudflaps or Bmc.

It’s right by the front bumper ... back is fine from what I can tell ... just the front ... which I will take care of ... just surprised me is all

Hadn’t heard of anybody rubbing with 265’s ever ... and I want to put 285’s on in real soon ... at the smallest ... so I guess trimming is just in my future [emoji2371]

Oh well ... wanted to do the high rise bumper cuts anyway ... which would solve the issue

Paragon1 06-18-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin.Geer81 (Post 3506332)

Yeah its normal, mine are doing the same after the 3" lift. Lift doesn't change the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the ends of the fender wells. The spacer widens the arc that the wheel travels when you turn it. best way to deal with it is the frame chop. It doesn't hurt anything at all, and is a fairly inexpensive mod.

83Mule 06-19-2020 08:26 PM

With 285's you can remove the spacers and eliminate the rub....if you leave them with 285's you will need to BMC and cut up a lot of the inner mudflap.

daytonaviolet 06-20-2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin.Geer81 (Post 3506337)
It’s right by the front bumper ... back is fine from what I can tell ... just the front ... which I will take care of ... just surprised me is all

Hadn’t heard of anybody rubbing with 265’s ever ... and I want to put 285’s on in real soon ... at the smallest ... so I guess trimming is just in my future [emoji2371]

Oh well ... wanted to do the high rise bumper cuts anyway ... which would solve the issue

Easy fix, just push liner forward and trim the bottom bumper area. We all had to do this .

CF_Machete 06-20-2020 01:18 AM

BMC, loose your front mudflaps push your front fender liner fwd and trim the excess bumper.

i ran 285s before going to 295s. that should keep you from rubbing with a 3" lift in front. just get a proper alignment with max caster and after market UCAs... otherwise your ride will be shit at highway speeds.

JSparky 06-20-2020 01:41 AM

Without pics it’s kind of hard to tell, for now you could get away with a liner mod, it’s discussed here frequently just search for it (don’t know the links offhand).

ToyoBeastly 06-20-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CF_Machete (Post 3506901)
BMC, loose your front mudflaps push your front fender liner fwd and trim the excess bumper.

i ran 285s before going to 295s. that should keep you from rubbing with a 3" lift in front. just get a proper alignment with max caster and after market UCAs... otherwise your ride will be shit at highway speeds.

new guy here and about to install the spacers, what is BMC?

DallasTRDPro 06-20-2020 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyoBeastly (Post 3506916)
new guy here and about to install the spacers, what is BMC?

Body mount chop

Justin.Geer81 06-20-2020 09:15 PM

Specific places I should be looking into? ... BMC needs to happen

Like who will actually do that? I’m in Boise,ID

83Mule 06-20-2020 09:46 PM

If you live in Idaho......you must own a Sawzall! It takes about 15 minutes to BMC in your driveway.:lightsaber:

Justin.Geer81 06-21-2020 07:46 PM

No issue with the cutting ... it’s welding on of the plate I don’t have the equipment to do.

Is it even needed?

Jarheadoo7 06-21-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin.Geer81 (Post 3507545)
No issue with the cutting ... it’s welding on of the plate I don’t have the equipment to do.

Is it even needed?

Yeah. The front body mounts hold the body to the frame but also act as shields in a front end collision to prevent the wheels from smashing through the sheet metal. It’s best to keep them as strong as possible

IanB 06-22-2020 11:54 AM

Adding 1.25" wheel spacers provides the same effect as mounting tires 2.5" wider than stock (265 vs. 295ish), as far as the outside edge of the tire rubbing is concerned due to it being pushed out in the wheelwell, obviously the same is not true of the inside edge of the tire.

I've got 255/75/17's on FJ Cruiser wheels (aggressive end of stock offset range), with Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, and a 1" front level spacer on a Limited trim 5th gen. When I added the Spidertrax spacers, I had to clearance some things due to the rubbing as well.