Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Removing a KDSS From a TRD Pro, Why? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/287708-removing-kdss-trd-pro-why.html)

Lexington 06-28-2020 04:49 PM

Removing a KDSS From a TRD Pro, Why?

This is a curiosity question. I heard of some people removing a KDSS from a TRD Pro. I was told that if you’re a hard core off raoder your better off without it. What are the pros and cons of the KDSS?

Thanks

SpeedyKevin 06-28-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington (Post 3510881)
This is a curiosity question. I heard of some people removing a KDSS from a TRD Pro. I was told that if you’re a hard core off raoder your better off without it. What are the pros and cons of the KDSS?

Thanks

You mean orp? Pro doesn't have kdss.

Tradeoffs of kdss are (slow speed offroading) lift limits, cant sas it, cant long travel it, added complexity, and still not the same as a disconnect.

northcoast 06-28-2020 05:12 PM

No KDSS allows you to set the truck up to wheel hard which I do not do. But KDSS plus a modest lift gives you some still very nice off road capability and some great on-road manners as well.

Lexington 06-28-2020 05:26 PM

Ok so KDSS allows for better handling and rides on rough dirt roads and dry river beds for example but limits rock crawling capabilities because it limits wheel travel. Removal allows more extreme rock crawling but sacrifices a smoother ride a bit and reduced cornering on roads. Did I get that right?

Thanks

nb rob 06-28-2020 05:34 PM

Oh ffs

llDemonll 06-28-2020 05:44 PM

KDSS is a big fat swaybar with a hydraulic piston on one end that is unlocked below 12mph and locked above it. it's essentially equivalent to a swaybar disconnect.

anything below 12mph is essentially a disconnected swaybar

anything above 12mph will be better road manners when cornering

Wolfman’s Brother 06-28-2020 05:56 PM

Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best video game ever.

This thread is for lunchroom conversation right?

MAST4R 06-28-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington (Post 3510892)
Ok so KDSS allows for better handling and rides on rough dirt roads and dry river beds for example but limits rock crawling capabilities because it limits wheel travel. Removal allows more extreme rock crawling but sacrifices a smoother ride a bit and reduced cornering on roads. Did I get that right?

Thanks

Not really!

KDSS improves greatly handling on an otherwise stock vehicle, but the price you pay is comfort above 12 mph over choppy terrain. As others said, it is a monster sway bar that disengages at low speeds.

So the other benefit is in rock crawling a stock vehicle where you get extra wheel travel. This is a very real benefit but because most folks here lift for the looks or because they think they need a lift for a moderate trail, they don't appreciate the difference that a little bit of extra travel makes in off-camber and/or low traction situations.

The problem off-pavement is that while non-KDSS stock non-Pro 4R has mediocre to poor handling at speeds and also bottoming out problems, KDSS only addresses the former problem and at the a substantial price premium. By contrast, a decent aftermarket setup can solve both issues for less money (as mine).

So, it will depend on setup and use.

SpeedyKevin 06-28-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nb rob (Post 3510897)
Oh ffs

Don't worry, Bossman will arrive soon with a post full of KDSS links for this person!

SpeedyKevin 06-28-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAST4R (Post 3510925)
Not really!

KDSS improves greatly handling on an otherwise stock vehicle, but the price you pay is comfort above 12 mph over choppy terrain. As others said, it is a monster sway bar that disengages at low speeds.

So the other benefit is in rock crawling a stock vehicle where you get extra wheel travel. This is a very real benefit but because most folks here lift for the looks or because they think they need a lift for a moderate trail, they don't appreciate the difference that a little bit of extra travel makes in off-camber and/or low traction situations.

The problem off-pavement is that while non-KDSS stock non-Pro 4R has mediocre to poor handling at speeds and also bottoming out problems, KDSS only addresses the former problem and at the a substantial price premium. By contrast, a decent aftermarket setup can solve both issues for less money (as mine).

So, it will depend on setup and use.

What he said^

Also, you could improve the handling of the 4runner by getting aftermarket shocks with alittle more low speed (1-3in/sec) compression dampening. May not have the same flex as KDSS but still feels pretty good.

Every Day OutDoors 06-28-2020 10:15 PM

it limits travel at speeds above 12mph, that is what was said

aaronRR 06-28-2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Every Day OutDoors (Post 3511021)
it limits travel at speeds above 12mph, that is what was said

Yeah I misread that, I need to go to bed. :doh:

Lexington 06-29-2020 04:13 AM

Thanks for some of the good info. Much appreciated. The previous owner of my 4Runner removed the KDSS. The vehicle drives fine as it is but can still handle corners pretty well. I was trying to decide if it was worth putting the KDSS back in or go with a aftermarket shock like King shocks. Still exploring options.

Thanks

SpeedyKevin 06-29-2020 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington (Post 3511105)
Thanks for some of the good info. Much appreciated. The previous owner of my 4Runner removed the KDSS. The vehicle drives fine as it is but can still handle corners pretty well. I was trying to decide if it was worth putting the KDSS back in or go with a aftermarket shock like King shocks. Still exploring options.

Thanks

I'd suggest going with an aftermarket shock instead of putting KDSS back in. The system is a $1750 option plus the labor so thats quite expensive. Don't get me wrong, I really like the system on my 4runner but when it finally gives out, I'm likely dumping the system and going with some sort of currie antirock system (if that ever happens lol).

llDemonll 06-29-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington (Post 3511105)

Thanks

If you still have a TRD Pro like your post suggests (and past posts suggest) your car never had KDSS, nor was it ever an option on TRD Pros. If you have a Pro and someone told you it used to have KDSS they lied to you.