Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Weboost mounted with Ram Mount (updated) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/287721-weboost-mounted-ram-mount-updated.html)

SnowYeti 06-28-2020 10:28 PM

Weboost mounted with Ram Mount (updated)

4 Attachment(s)
I bought a Weboost and I am finding it a challenge to mount.

I have a RTT and awning. I don’t want to fold it all the time. So really I am left with the side of my Victory rack between the RTT and awning. Finding a mount for this has been near impossible. Adding to the challenge is that it should be above the roof line.

Ram makes a B size swivel mount with a ball socket on the other end. They also make a ball I can attach to the end of the antenna. This would make it pretty clean and easy to fold down.

Thoughts on using a Ram Mount? I only found one person using it for an antenna

...I have already read and watched all the opinions on the Weboost.

Update:

So after some trial and error this is where I landed. The parts above out of plastic had way to much flex and would not hold the antenna horizontal.

I went with 1.5 inch parts. Aluminum reinforced ball mount, short aluminum double ball arm and the direct thread on ball for the antenna. Used 3 holes to mount and one hole as a pass through for the cable. Extra small Quick Fist for the stored position.

Works great! Clean and easy. I do think I will remove the extension though for less height of the antenna.

WeBoost works great as well. Even my driveway only gets 1 bar. With it on 4 bars. Same for any place I have driven even no bars to 3 bars.

shrub1 06-28-2020 11:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I went through the same thing.
Started with a Comet clamp mount to the stock crossbars, it wasn't great.
I then bought a couple Victory 4x4 crossbars and mounted a Rhino Rack Aerial Folding Mount. Perfect set up for me. Super stable and tool free raising and lowering the antenna.
Looks like LLoD is not using the RAM stuff any longer.

SnowYeti 06-29-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrub1 (Post 3511046)
I went through the same thing.
Started with a Comet clamp mount to the stock crossbars, it wasn't great.
I then bought a couple Victory 4x4 crossbars and mounted a Rhino Rack Aerial Folding Mount. Perfect set up for me. Super stable and tool free raising and lowering the antenna.
Looks like LLoD is not using the RAM stuff any longer.

I bought one of those and I agree it is well made. But with my RTT I can’t mount it to a rail.

BlackCloud 06-29-2020 10:26 AM

This works pretty well:

Comet RS-660U - Ham Radio Roof-Rack Antenna Mount

SnowYeti 07-24-2020 09:45 AM

Bump with update

billiamwu 07-27-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowYeti (Post 3522706)
Bump with update

Do you have a list of parts used for this? I'm looking to do something similar, just wasn't sure on the bolt threads/etc.

shrub1 07-27-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowYeti (Post 3522706)
Bump with update

Looks great!

ragin_cajun 07-28-2020 01:55 PM

Keep an eye on that RAM mount. I don't think they are UV resistant. It may become brittle and you will find your antenna beating around up there.

utctscanr75 11-10-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 3511164)

Just ordered off of Amazon. Thanks for sharing!

Amazon.com: RS-660U Roof Rack Antenna Mount, 2.5" Opening

packetcollision 11-10-2020 02:00 PM

This is great man, well done.

UpDog 11-19-2020 08:13 PM

I picked up one of these Comet RS-660U mounts and can't seem to get it to fit on the stock 2020 crossbars without immediately falling off when I give it a few pounds of lateral torque. The instructions say it will go up to 56mm but the crossbar measures 65mm across (2-9/16"). I tried without the rubber padding and can't get a fit. Am I doing something wrong or will this simply not fit? Thanks.

Mutant138 11-19-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpDog (Post 3569130)
I picked up one of these Comet RS-660U mounts and can't seem to get it to fit on the stock 2020 crossbars without immediately falling off when I give it a few pounds of lateral torque. The instructions say it will go up to 56mm but the crossbar measures 65mm across (2-9/16"). I tried without the rubber padding and can't get a fit. Am I doing something wrong or will this simply not fit? Thanks.

What's updog?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QxJHJPCh65A/hqdefault.jpg

BlackCloud 11-20-2020 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic with antenna in down position mounted to stock crossbar.

????? 11-20-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 3569406)

Set up looks slick. Which mount did you go with?

UpDog 11-21-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 3569406)

Thanks for the pic. It looks like it's a pretty tight fit. I'll check mine out tomorrow in the daylight.