Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   5th Gen Aluminum Roof Rack Using OEM Siderails: NiseRack (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/287971-5th-gen-aluminum-roof-rack-using-oem-siderails-niserack.html)

ElectroBoy 07-07-2020 12:58 PM

5th Gen Aluminum Roof Rack Using OEM Siderails: NiseRack

4 Attachment(s)
I finally found and installed an aluminum rack on my 18 ORP that used the original Toyota side rails, and it worked out great. It has a low profile and looks OEM.

I did not want an expensive full rack from one of the major manufacturers. I need something for light to medium duty for camping gear, sports gear, and transporting lumber and items from the hardware store. The OEM crossbars that came with my 4Runner are not very useful; they are curved and they flex. But the side rails are more than adequate for attaching aftermarket crossbars. This rack fits my needs perfectly.

This rack design was developed by @Eitek1 and is targeted at the 5th Gens 2014+. It is called the NiseRack. You may have seen his posts in another thread about DIY roof racks. This is the result of months of part research, design, prototyping, testing, and refining. He designed and manufactured the aluminum brackets and the attachment system for the crossbars. The crossbars are slotted AA 6063-T6 aluminum extrusions which you buy from TNutz or some other vendor. He enlisted me to test it out before releasing it to the public. It is now ready for prime time and available.

The brackets are reasonably priced and are available through his website at

Shop | NiseRack.com

The website also specifies the part number and dimensions for you to order the crossbars from TNutz.

uh0h50 07-07-2020 01:15 PM

Looks like a nice option for the OEM+ people. What's the wind noise like?

sn_85 07-07-2020 02:04 PM

Looks like a great option for a great price. I agree though, a windfairing option would be nice but I think you can probably get one from LFD that would fit.

Eitek1 07-07-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uh0h50 (Post 3514646)
Looks like a nice option for the OEM+ people. What's the wind noise like?

Thanks! The wind noise is pretty much non-existent below 70 MPH. Above 70 there is a light buffeting sound. It's really not that noticeable.

Eitek1 07-07-2020 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sn_85 (Post 3514672)
Looks like a great option for a great price. I agree though, a windfairing option would be nice but I think you can probably get one from LFD that would fit.

Thanks! I've worked really hard to make this affordable.

I finalized the design for the prototype wind faring last night and it should be produced by the middle of next week. I'll do some testing at that point but should have an offering in the next few weeks.

I know that is something that folks would want.

3rdgendreamin 07-07-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eitek1 (Post 3514693)
Thanks! I've worked really hard to make this affordable.

I finalized the design for the prototype wind faring last night and it should be produced by the middle of next week. I'll do some testing at that point but should have an offering in the next few weeks.

I know that is something that folks would want.

Dude these are dope! I have a 2010 trail. Mounting points look similar, but just wanted to check if you foresee any compatibility issues?

apc9199 07-07-2020 07:02 PM

I like the looks of this as an affordable option until I eventually go full-length with a Gobi, or similar. I agree, the OEM cross bars are pretty pathetic for anyone who wants to carry anything substantial on the roof, including lumber which has a tendency to work its way to the outside of the crossbars due to the radius of them. I think some rubber t-slot covers would help for anyone who is worried about wind noise across the slots.

10-Series T-Slot Cover - Black

My biggest concern right now is compatibility with a Yakima SkyBox. They use sort of a cam-action mounting hook that slides under the crossbars and clamps like a vise-grip.

Yakima Mounting Feet

Do you know how the clearance under the crossbars on this compare to OEM? Obviously it varies from center to outside since the crossbars do not follow the roof profile. It looks like the clearance at the sides is greater, but is very similar to OEM in the center. That might work if I center the SkyBox, but I often offset it to one side to be able to carry a bike or something off to one side. Could you provide any insight here? Perhaps I need a slightly taller overall version of your adapters?

Eitek1 07-07-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rdgendreamin (Post 3514772)
Dude these are dope! I have a 2010 trail. Mounting points look similar, but just wanted to check if you foresee any compatibility issues?

I'm going to look around for some dimensions. I do know if you can use the late model roof rails they should work no problem.

If we can't find out the answer that way I can send you a bracket and backing plate and see if it fits. I've prototyped so many I've got some spares I can use for testing just this kind of stuff.

Eitek1 07-07-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apc9199 (Post 3514813)
I like the looks of this as an affordable option until I eventually go full-length with a Gobi, or similar. I agree, the OEM cross bars are pretty pathetic for anyone who wants to carry anything substantial on the roof, including lumber which has a tendency to work its way to the outside of the crossbars due to the radius of them. I think some rubber t-slot covers would help for anyone who is worried about wind noise across the slots.

My biggest concern right now is compatibility with a Yakima SkyBox. They use sort of a cam-action mounting hook that slides under the crossbars and clamps like a vise-grip.

Yakima Mounting Feet

Do you know how the clearance under the crossbars on this compare to OEM? Obviously it varies from center to outside since the crossbars do not follow the roof profile. It looks like the clearance at the sides is greater, but is very similar to OEM in the center. That might work if I center the SkyBox, but I often offset it to one side to be able to carry a bike or something off to one side. Could you provide any insight here? Perhaps I need a slightly taller overall version of your adapters?

I measured from the bottom of the bar to the very center of the roof and I had 1.25" of clearance. I checked between the two raised portions on the side and I had 1.5". Keep in mind the center line of the bars is above the rail by about an 1/8".

The dimensions of the bars are 1" X 3". Just eyeballing it, it looks like the clamps should work. They may not close completely around the back side of the bar but I can't tell 100% from the pictures.

itr1275 07-07-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apc9199 (Post 3514813)

Maybe, maybe not. Most of the time you want to block it off completely or break up the air flow so it doesn't set up a standing wave and whistle.

Rhino has a solution with ribs to break up the noise.
https://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products...rack_black.jpg

Another person tried this and found that filling the bottom slot was better.
YouTube

Fluid dynamics is a mother.

NW.OH.T4R 07-07-2020 09:25 PM

Just curious if there is any potential to see a similar solution for 19/20 Pro racks in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElectroBoy 07-07-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itr1275 (Post 3514847)
Maybe, maybe not. Most of the time you want to block it off completely or break up the air flow so it doesn't set up a standing wave and whistle.

Rhino has a solution with ribs to break up the noise.
https://b.cdnbrm.com/images/products...rack_black.jpg

Another person tried this and found that filling the bottom slot was better.
YouTube

Fluid dynamics is a mother.

Yeah, the only way to really figure it out would be wind tunnel-like testing. I don’t think that will happen. Lol!
So the best bet would be to experiment. In addition to trying a wind faring, and before buying those rubber strips to insert in the slots, I wonder if covering the bottom slots with aluminum tape would help. Since the aluminum tape is so hard to remove, maybe the first attempt could be with plastic electrical tape.

supratt 07-07-2020 10:09 PM

these are awesome! definitely gonna order some when the border opens up.

3rdgendreamin 07-07-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eitek1 (Post 3514819)
I'm going to look around for some dimensions. I do know if you can use the late model roof rails they should work no problem.

If we can't find out the answer that way I can send you a bracket and backing plate and see if it fits. I've prototyped so many I've got some spares I can use for testing just this kind of stuff.

Please keep me in the loop. I was looking at the crossbars LFD offered for the factory rack and they had a specific one for the 10-13 trail but I’m not sure if mounting or length of the bar was the differentiator.

TRD PANTHER 07-08-2020 12:07 AM

Is this something that would work for the crossbars? Correct dimensions? Please let me know. EX-1030-BLACK – 1″ x 3″ x 47″ Smooth T-Slotted Aluminum Extrusion for Prinsu Roof Rack | TNUTZ