Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2010 Limited - Auto Shifting Has Become Strange (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288030-2010-limited-auto-shifting-has-become-strange.html)

Fenix84 07-08-2020 10:58 PM

2010 Limited - Auto Shifting Has Become Strange

Hello,

So i have a 2010 Limited with 120,000 km (75,000 miles) and recently felt the shifting has changed out of nowhere. It now feels its 1 gear higher than it should be.

I've searched and read a few threads about this and everyone says its normal. It may be normal but now its definitely more noticeable than ever. Any ideas?

Examples:
Driving 80 km/h (50 miles/h), 1500 RPM.
Driving 60 km/h (37miles/h), 1000 RPM.
that sound right?

market525 07-09-2020 02:55 PM

Odd question perhaps, but has the trans fluid ever been changed? Or have you at least loosened the plug to see the visually inspect color/condition of the fluid? Some might disagree, but I would start with that step ... a fluid change. Not necessary to drop the pan in my opinion, but at 75K, the trans should be serviced.

LandCruiser 07-09-2020 02:58 PM

Mine was okay at 110k, but I still changed the ATF which looked kinda grungy.

That would be your easiest fix to see if it helps.

Cold, snow, and 4x4 use can all degrade the ATF quicker.

1jzgte 07-09-2020 04:16 PM

completely agree with the top 2 posters on ATF.. dont bother w/ the tranny filter... its too much work and its really more of a strainer than a filter

Fenix84 07-09-2020 08:35 PM

Thanks all, will look into it.

market525 07-10-2020 10:29 AM

While you're servicing the driveline ... if it's never been done, or if you don't know ... not a bad time to change the F&R diff fluid, as well as the transfer case fluid. Be aware that the transfer case calls for a different fluid than that F&R diffs ... they both use 75W90. The transfer case calls for a 75W. This was new to me .... dealer parts department looked at me like I was crazy. Said in the shop they use regular gear lube (75w90). Once I saw the difference in consistency of the two lubes I knew how wrong that was!
I found a lube on Amazon ... Ravenol J1C1003 SAE 75W. Was less than $20/per quart, and you'll need 2 quarts.

LandCruiser 07-10-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by market525 (Post 3516177)
While you're servicing the driveline ... if it's never been done, or if you don't know ... not a bad time to change the F&R diff fluid, as well as the transfer case fluid. Be aware that the transfer case calls for a different fluid than that F&R diffs ... they both use 75W90. The transfer case calls for a 75W. This was new to me .... dealer parts department looked at me like I was crazy. Said in the shop they use regular gear lube (75w90). Once I saw the difference in consistency of the two lubes I knew how wrong that was!
I found a lube on Amazon ... Ravenol J1C1003 SAE 75W. Was less than $20/per quart, and you'll need 2 quarts.

TBF diffs aren't super picky about fluids compared to the AT and T-case.

Fenix84 07-14-2020 10:04 PM

There's more to my problem.

So i was driving around today trying to figure out whats wrong.

I think when im in "D", it starts in 4th gear, so i m only utilizing 4th and 5th gear. Must be why I think i'm always a gear ahead.

When im completely stopped and change from "D" to "S" it says im in 4th gear.

I read it could be a bad solenoids, can someone confirm this?

Haven't changed any of the fluids yet since my appointment is on Thursday. Should i wait till the fluids are changed before asking them to replace the solenoids?

Also, ive been driving a ton like this (mostly highway), do you guys see this problem causing major problems to my transmission? Driving in low RPMs, never rev higher than 3000 RPM.

Thanks

Gamma Ray 07-14-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenix84 (Post 3518315)
When im completely stopped and change from "D" to "S" it says im in 4th gear.

I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Fenix84 07-14-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamma Ray (Post 3518329)
I'm pretty sure that's normal.

Thats good to hear, why doesn't it start in gear 1?

redshift83 07-15-2020 01:02 AM

The 'manual' auto shifter in at least the 10-13 is different from every other one i've ever driven. It says 4 because that doesn't actually indicate the gear you're in, rather it's the max gear that is allowed in your current configuration. If you push the selector towards minus, then it'll say '3' meaning 3rd gear is the highest it'll go. When stopped, it will shift to 1st and when you go it will shift 1->2->3 and then stop until you go up, down, or over to 'D'. If you go to 'D' it will allow 4th and 5th as normal. At least this is how it works in my new to me '10 TE (sig not updated yet!).

All the other cars i've seen (even my wife's Highlander i believe) show the gear you're currently in when in 'S' mode. Weird, but seems normal.

It could be that there's something wrong with mine too, but i swear that the shift points in this transmission are the weirdest I've ever seen! It does feel like it's a gear higher than it should be nearly all the time, and yet, when you press the brakes to slow down a hill or similar, it downshifts and feels like it's a gear lower than it should be, haha. That being said, it seems kinda normal from what research i've been doing, and my brother seemed to say the same thing (had a '16 SR5 for a while).

Hope this helps.

market525 07-15-2020 04:38 PM

I'm curious as to who is changing the trans fluid on Thursday? Are you going to a Toyota dealer? Or independent garage? I ask because usually on the Toyota service desks, they all quote the Toyota BS line ... "It's a sealed transmission ... lifetime fluid" Usually the service writer will argue with you about changing the fluid. I hope that's not been the case for you.
And I might get some push-back here ... but if you're having an independent garage do it, I'd highly recommend that you use genuine Toyota WS trans fluid ... and not some of the "compatible" fluids out there.

Fenix84 07-15-2020 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by market525 (Post 3518695)
I'm curious as to who is changing the trans fluid on Thursday? Are you going to a Toyota dealer? Or independent garage? I ask because usually on the Toyota service desks, they all quote the Toyota BS line ... "It's a sealed transmission ... lifetime fluid" Usually the service writer will argue with you about changing the fluid. I hope that's not been the case for you.
And I might get some push-back here ... but if you're having an independent garage do it, I'd highly recommend that you use genuine Toyota WS trans fluid ... and not some of the "compatible" fluids out there.

its just an independent shop that specializes in transmissions.

Fenix84 07-17-2020 01:02 AM

OK fluids all changed but still getting a really loud humming noise, i thought it was attributed to my transmission but my passenger thinks it could be something else. As i drive faster the hum gets louders. Could it be related to my tires, something in my wheel well. Any ideas on how i can find out?

euser 07-17-2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenix84 (Post 3519430)
OK fluids all changed but still getting a really loud humming noise, i thought it was attributed to my transmission but my passenger thinks it could be something else. As i drive faster the hum gets louders. Could it be related to my tires, something in my wheel well. Any ideas on how i can find out?

Wheel bearing or rear diff.