Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trails attendance fees? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288204-trails-attendance-fees.html)

swampy_swimmer 07-13-2020 10:41 PM

Trails attendance fees?

Gents, what are the average charges to run a day long trail you pay at your locations?
The reason for this question is here in NY I found just one place and they charge $300 / truck for a daily trail, well more like a scenic mountain drive.
I think it’s a bit excessive. Am I wrong?

krunkula 07-13-2020 10:47 PM

Hmmm seems like a lot but I’m in Utah. $Free.99

jp.vegas 07-13-2020 11:25 PM

Is that a thing? Paying to drive on a trail??

euser 07-14-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp.vegas (Post 3517752)
Is that a thing? Paying to drive on a trail??

It’s New York, they’ll take your money anyway they can. We do get spoiled by BLM land out west.

pableaux 07-14-2020 01:18 AM

Damn, $300 is excessive. Is it a private trail?

Mine is either $5 per day or $30 a year.

pableaux 07-14-2020 01:18 AM

Damn, $300 is excessive. Is it a private trail?

Mine is either $5 per day or $30 a year.

AZ Craig 07-14-2020 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampy_swimmer (Post 3517730)
Gents, what are the average charges to run a day long trail you pay at your locations?
The reason for this question is here in NY I found just one place and they charge $300 / truck for a daily trail, well more like a scenic mountain drive.

And this is why I no longer live in New York State.

When I want to run a trail in Arizona I just figure out where I want to go (based on several guide books I have or internet information) and head out exploring.

Did a great (relatively easy; did not need 4WD) run just last weekend covering around 60 miles off pavement up on the Mogollon Rim. Really appreciate the suspension on my Pro now after blasting dirt road at pushing 50 mph.

Lots more ground to cover for free in Utah, Colorado or New Mexico :).

swampy_swimmer 07-14-2020 08:25 AM

Wow ��...
All I can say.

I guess it is private land, but still... probably it’s the only one available in the state.

They include the Sky Ride on top of the mountain, probably $20 value and it’s “weather permitting”, that’s all.

I guess I’d better off driving to PA or VA

jp.vegas 07-14-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euser (Post 3517782)
It’s New York, they’ll take your money anyway they can. We do get spoiled by BLM land out west.

Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I moved out here from there for a reason.

pDubs 07-14-2020 09:46 AM

Private Land, maintained Off Road Parks aren't even that much...

PJSnow 07-14-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swampy_swimmer (Post 3517730)

I'm from NY as well and I'm looking for offroad trails. Curious where you found $300/truck/day?
I was able to find NORA (Northeast Off Road Adventures) in Ellenville, NY but they are more instruction based. Hunter Mountain also has trails but I think they require a guide and I'm not sure about the cost. NORA offers events at Hunter as well.
I'm very curious to what else you find in the NY area. Feel free to PM me also.

comtn4x4 07-14-2020 10:21 AM

Pay for a trail? Really? Time to move.
I've never paid for a trail in the West ever. That's nuts. You could travel every toll road in NY for less than that I bet

Jetboy 07-14-2020 10:24 AM

The only place I've ever paid a trail fee is for use of the Sand Flat's area in Moab (Hell's Revenge trail). It's $10. Otherwise almost all the trails I've ever done are public land and "free". Unless you consider taxes and other ways that government is funded.

Unfortunately the fawking ultra-conservatives (sorry about politics, but it has to be said and it's not the "I want reasonable small government", it's the "tax is theft" crowd) - have continually pushed to privatize the public lands in the west and now it's starting to actually happen. So be prepared to see access totally denied and/or fees charged to use what was public BLM land through out big swaths of the western USA. It's totally baffling to me how a group of predominantly low income outdoorsy people have been convinced that somehow if public lands are privatized that they'll actually still be able to use them. In what version of reality did they ever think that would happen? Of course the ultra wealthy will buy the leases or sales and kick them out.

-end rant

TOYO74 07-14-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ Craig (Post 3517798)
And this is why I no longer live in New York State.

When I want to run a trail in Arizona I just figure out where I want to go (based on several guide books I have or internet information) and head out exploring.

Did a great (relatively easy; did not need 4WD) run just last weekend covering around 60 miles off pavement up on the Mogollon Rim. Really appreciate the suspension on my Pro now after blasting dirt road at pushing 50 mph.

Lots more ground to cover for free in Utah, Colorado or New Mexico :).

Hope you are skilled at doing an emergency stop @ 50mph on dirt. Please post which dirt road you are blasting next so I can avoid it. Thanks.

Jetboy 07-14-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOYO74 (Post 3517901)
Hope you are skilled at doing an emergency stop @ 50mph on dirt. Please post which dirt road you are blasting next so I can avoid it. Thanks.

I run out to various spots on the hole in the rock road in the grand staircase. On the wide open sections I'll run 60-80+mph. The remote places are 100+ miles out. If you're going to drive at 20mph it'll take 5 hours to get out there. Last year I saw a guy towing a big park model style travel trailer, probably 40-50 miles out there going 5mph. So he'd probably been at it for 5-10 hours to get that far out. I just kinda had to shake my head. Hope it was staying for a long time to make the effort worth it.

I'm not going that kind of speed over blind hills, only when I can see long open stretches with no vehicles, but it's just a very long very rough washboard road. The pony express trail is often the same way. No cars in sight for 10 miles - that's when you can have some fun.

I understand your concern and I'm all for having fun - but only if it's safe. This is the sort of place where you're only endangering yourself. When there's other people around I slow up to a safe speed - probably around 20-30mph to pass other cars. If you haven't been there - it looks like this for 75 miles straight and then side roads go for another 70+ miles off the end:
https://www.willhiteweb.com/utah_sig...-rock-road.jpg
But the road conditions usually look like this:
https://tedmuller.us/Outdoor/Hiking/...g/Apr21/02.jpg