Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   P0015 Camshaft Position "B" Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288212-p0015-camshaft-position-b-timing-over-retarded-bank-1-a.html)

hiflyer767 07-14-2020 01:01 AM

P0015 Camshaft Position "B" Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

2015 4Runner SR5 4x4 w 115000mi, just installed new spark plugs and serpentine belt. I was driving along on the highway in Cruise Control at 90mph from ATL to Tampa when it went into limp mode and the following lights, Check Engine and TRAC OFF came on.
I managed to regain acceleration control when I'd pulled over and turned off the truck, then unplugged the Throttle Body plug and the MAF plug.

The lights cleared out the following morning. A week later, while driving to Kentucky from Naples, it happened again near the border between Georgia and Tennessee.

I repeated the same steps as before and again, the acceleration returned and the Dash Lights went away by the next morning. I'm now back in Chicago and had the OBDII code read.

P0015
Camshaft Position "B"
Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Anybody able to help???

EddieV4runnin 07-14-2020 02:01 AM

Could just be that Oil Control Valve for the exhaust cam variable valve timing is shorting itself out after driving it for an extended period of time. Worst thing is it might need the Camshaft actuator replaced.

08TxRunner 07-14-2020 12:49 PM

^^^ That does sound like an OCV to me too. Had the same problem on a 4th Gen.

Wolfman’s Brother 07-14-2020 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer767 (Post 3517790)
Anybody able to help???

Have you tried wiring up raptor lights and adding a sick roof rack?

blanchard7684 07-15-2020 08:23 AM

sounds like a cam timing solenoid is faulty.

This happened in my old mustang three times with same symptoms and same codes.

Mack1611 07-15-2020 04:36 PM

I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at Holiday Inn Express last night...

What causes the P0015 code?
The variable camshaft timing (VCT) oil control valve (OCV) is stuck in the open position.

The camshaft phaser is stuck in the retarded position due to damage or clogged oil passages.

Oil flow problems to the VCT piston and phaser from incorrect oil viscosity.

The OCV has an open circuit or the ECM has an open circuit.

Hunterlee 07-27-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer767 (Post 3517790)
2015 4Runner SR5 4x4 w 115000mi, just installed new spark plugs and serpentine belt. I was driving along on the highway in Cruise Control at 90mph from ATL to Tampa when it went into limp mode and the following lights, Check Engine and TRAC OFF came on.
I managed to regain acceleration control when I'd pulled over and turned off the truck, then unplugged the Throttle Body plug and the MAF plug.

The lights cleared out the following morning. A week later, while driving to Kentucky from Naples, it happened again near the border between Georgia and Tennessee.

I repeated the same steps as before and again, the acceleration returned and the Dash Lights went away by the next morning. I'm now back in Chicago and had the OBDII code read.

P0015
Camshaft Position "B"
Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)

Anybody able to help???

hiflyer767 did you get this figured out? I had the exact same issue happen yesterday.

hiflyer767 08-10-2020 12:31 AM

Sorry for the LONG delay...haven't been on in a while.

I changed my oil and filter as soon as I got home. Not a problem since. I believe I was over mileage on my oil change by about 1200 miles due to my LONG ASS ROAD TRIP to Naples, FL from Chicago...

hiflyer767 08-10-2020 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother (Post 3518228)
Have you tried wiring up raptor lights and adding a sick roof rack?

I'd love to. But, my garage is an old Chicago style with a 6' door. It barely squeezes in NOW with the factory roof rails...

Hunterlee 08-19-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiflyer767 (Post 3529902)
Sorry for the LONG delay...haven't been on in a while.

I changed my oil and filter as soon as I got home. Not a problem since. I believe I was over mileage on my oil change by about 1200 miles due to my LONG ASS ROAD TRIP to Naples, FL from Chicago...

No worries!

But awesome! I’ll have to give that a shot. I appreciate the feedback.

Jivewalker 08-20-2020 07:54 AM

Had same or similar issue about 100k miles ago after an extended OCI.

There are two oil pipes that feed oil to the oil control valve, one on each side of valve cover. At the top of those pipes, there is a bolt that holds it to the OCV. Take that bolt out, it is hollow. On the end of the bolt will be a plastic cased cone shaped filter with a metal screen. It should come out with the bolt, if not use a pick to get it out. Clean it up and reinstall screen, bolt to torque.

Also, pull the cam position sensors on the valve cover and wipe them off, may be some sludge on them.

Check PCV valve or just replace it, its cheap.

Ever since then, I change my oil every 5K.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...ue-capture-jpg
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...e-capture2-jpg

customtc 03-05-2021 02:14 PM

thanks for the info

TFT4RL 03-08-2021 09:09 PM

I just had this exact same thing happen to me at only 52k. Took it to the dealer and they asked me when my last oil change was and what kind of oil I use. I usually go about 7500 miles between oil changes and the last one was about 2500 miles ago. I told them I use Pennzoil. They told me that may be the cause that some oils sludge up more than others and the Toyota oil has additives that prevents that. They did change my oil and clean my sensors and it is running smoother than it has in a long time. Could it really be the brand of oil I use?

waypoint 03-08-2021 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TFT4RL (Post 3613509)
I told them I use Pennzoil. They told me that may be the cause that some oils sludge up more than others and the Toyota oil has additives that prevents that.

Which Pennzoil version have you been using? At 7500 mile intervals, even their conventional oil shouldn't be building sludge. But if you're running conventional oil at 10K intervals you're going to have sludge in your future.

TFT4RL 03-09-2021 08:45 AM

I’ve been using the the platinum synthetic from Walmart. Never had an issue with it before. Seems strange to me. Maybe I’ll switch to Mobil 1 and see what happens. I can’t see paying double for Toyota oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk