Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Exhaust cam gears with 3° retard (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/288224-exhaust-cam-gears-3°-retard.html)

montijo505 07-14-2020 03:48 PM

Exhaust cam gears with 3° retard

GROUP BUY! Cam gears with 3deg retard for V6 1GR. | Tacoma World

I had never heard of this until I stumbled across it on TW. Read through the posts (it's long but a lot of good info and testimonials) and if interested post over there. I am in no way affiliated, just want a set. If this breaks any rules, I'm sorry in advance.
@momo.75 tagged just to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong by posting this here. If I am, take it down please.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JONBOY345 07-14-2020 05:24 PM

That looks awesome... Wonder if the V8 would benefit from something similar?

montijo505 07-15-2020 03:24 PM

We only need two more guys!

montijo505 07-16-2020 10:22 PM

Still time to get in on this until Saturday!

rdruss 07-17-2020 01:36 PM

Really surprised more V6 owners are not participating, from what I read on the link it really seems to bring the engine alive. Oh well!

montijo505 07-17-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3519600)
Really surprised more V6 owners are not participating, from what I read on the link it really seems to bring the engine alive. Oh well!

It's a popular mod on Taco's apparently. I'm surprised there's zero interest. Oh well.

y=mx+b 07-17-2020 02:29 PM

I read through some of the Tacoma World posts too and it looks like a really good modification! I'm a tad scared to tear into the engine on my daily driver, otherwise I think I'd be in. Seems like it offers a decent benefit and I think it would be a good experience to get inside the overhead to look and learn firsthand. I'm not familiar with engine part pricing, but $120 for a custom machined part in small quantity that adds decent performance seems like a good price too.

With all the successful installations I'm sure its a non issue, but I thought I read the front chain cover is bolted onto the oil pan and this lead to the Toyota recommendation for engine removed during HG replacement? The main issue was something about not being able to properly torque front cover without fully loosening the oil pan, but not sure since I haven't dug deeper into that.

montijo505 07-17-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3519630)
I read through some of the Tacoma World posts too and it looks like a really good modification! I'm a tad scared to tear into the engine on my daily driver, otherwise I think I'd be in. Seems like it offers a decent benefit and I think it would be a good experience to get inside the overhead to look and learn firsthand. I'm not familiar with engine part pricing, but $120 for a custom machined part in small quantity that adds decent performance seems like a good price too.

With all the successful installations I'm sure its a non issue, but I thought I read the front chain cover is bolted onto the oil pan and this lead to the Toyota recommendation for engine removed during HG replacement? The main issue was something about not being able to properly torque front cover without fully loosening the oil pan, but not sure since I haven't dug deeper into that.

Only the valve covers come off for this install, not the timing chain cover. You don't mess with the timing at all, if you follow the steps.

BackOff 07-17-2020 04:57 PM

Where do i sign up? TW?
Guess i better toss these in the box of 'to do' sitting in the garage.

These neat little mods seem so hit and miss... due to limited intrest, not around long i mean.:hungry:

montijo505 07-17-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackOff (Post 3519698)
Where do i sign up? TW?

Guess i better toss these in the box of 'to do' sitting in the garage.

These neat little mods seem so hit and miss... due to limited intrest, not around long i mean.:hungry:

Correct over on TW!

y=mx+b 07-17-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3519674)
Only the valve covers come off for this install, not the timing chain cover. You don't mess with the timing at all, if you follow the steps.

I went back and looked at the video and I might be an idiot :ybrick:. I now see that both the timing cover is still on, and the timing chain doesn't even wrap on the exhaust cam. For some reason while typing, I was thinking that the timing chain went over both intake and exhaust camst, but I now see/remember that mini chain links intake to exhaust.

Maybe I'll have to conquer my fear of opening the engine up and grab one if they do another round. Definitely let us know how the install goes and any butt dyno results!

montijo505 07-17-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y=mx+b (Post 3519774)
I went back and looked at the video and I might be an idiot :ybrick:. I now see that both the timing cover is still on, and the timing chain doesn't even wrap on the exhaust cam. For some reason while typing, I was thinking that the timing chain went over both intake and exhaust camst, but I now see/remember that mini chain links intake to exhaust.

Maybe I'll have to conquer my fear of opening the engine up and grab one if they do another round. Definitely let us know how the install goes and any butt dyno results!

For sure!

miller507 08-22-2020 05:40 PM

So, did you guys get on that bandwagon? Kinda interested in this mod.:rolleyes:

montijo505 08-22-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miller507 (Post 3535229)
So, did you guys get on that bandwagon? Kinda interested in this mod.:rolleyes:

Installed mine about a week ago.

JONBOY345 08-22-2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3535313)
Installed mine about a week ago.

And? Is it everything it's cracked up to be?