Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   The Last LED Bulbs to go in the 4Runner - Lasfit Turnsignals (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288863-last-led-bulbs-go-4runner-lasfit-turnsignals.html)

007Tacoma 08-02-2020 01:45 PM

The Last LED Bulbs to go in the 4Runner - Lasfit Turnsignals

Of all the bulbs we have replaced in the 4Runner, the last ones to get upgraded to LED are the Turn Signals in the front and rear. In the video below, we go over the install and compare them to the OEM Turn Signals as well as show what these look like going down the road.

Cheers!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ip3WfYANLHw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>]

ElectroBoy 08-03-2020 03:34 PM

I installed LASFITs in the front and rear turn signals and they are great. Almost too bright at night, but other drivers are sure to notice you.

The front installation is just a little tricky. You have to undo some clips on the wheel well plastic and reach your arm way up. Wear long sleeves. The details of how to do this are in your 4R owner manual.

97BlackAckCL 08-03-2020 03:39 PM

I've been championing these bulbs for a long time now, they are great and are fantastic.

Heavy_GD 08-03-2020 05:05 PM

Me: Hmm, a 5 min vid for signal bulbs.

the vid: "for this we are going to have to take off the entire bumper"...

https://d.wattpad.com/story_parts/72...1706596816.gif

mbm112 08-03-2020 05:27 PM

I've got these in front and back. Love how bright they are.... I can even see the amber reflection hit certain road signs in the middle of the afternoon!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

007Tacoma 08-04-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 3527360)
Me: Hmm, a 5 min vid for signal bulbs.

the vid: "for this we are going to have to take off the entire bumper"...

https://d.wattpad.com/story_parts/72...1706596816.gif

Yeah... I realized after I did all this that I could have just reached up behind the fender liner, but its still a pain in the butt.

007Tacoma 08-04-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3527332)
I've been championing these bulbs for a long time now, they are great and are fantastic.

I was super nervous to get any bulb that promised all the things the Lasfits did, but I have been super impressed with them.

Heavy_GD 08-04-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007Tacoma (Post 3527703)
Yeah... I realized after I did all this that I could have just reached up behind the fender liner, but its still a pain in the butt.

Agreed, its in a tough position.

most people are pros at pulling the bumper by now.

sandcrawler 08-04-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3527329)
I installed LASFITs in the front and rear turn signals and they are great. Almost too bright at night, but other drivers are sure to notice you.

The front installation is just a little tricky. You have to undo some clips on the wheel well plastic and reach your arm way up. Wear long sleeves. The details of how to do this are in your 4R owner manual.

no need for resistors (or a new electronic flasher relay) with these turn signal bulbs? no hyperflash?

ElectroBoy 08-04-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandcrawler (Post 3527820)
no need for resistors (or a new electronic flasher relay) with these turn signal bulbs? no hyperflash?

There are resistors built into these bulbs so they look like incandescents to the dumb flasher and there’s no hyperflash. LASFIT erroneously calls them “Canbus”. Since these bulbs are driven so hard to get them so bright they will get hot with extended use, like 10 minutes or so on a hot summer day. There’s also some type of built-in thermal switch that opens up to protect the resistors in this case (they are physically small and can only dissipate so much heat even with aluminum heat sinking). When that happens you will hyperflash but when turning off the blinkers for a short time, maybe 30 seconds, the switch resets and all is well. I’ve had mine over a year and the only time I could get them to hyperflash was by leaving the emergency flashers on for about 20 minutes.

TBTally 08-04-2020 08:03 PM

My alpharex headlights just came in, but will wait to install. I gotta get these first! Excellent DIY thank you!!!

007Tacoma 08-05-2020 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandcrawler (Post 3527820)

That is correct. The bulbs are the only thing you need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3527879)
There are resistors built into these bulbs so they look like incandescents to the dumb flasher and there’s no hyperflash. LASFIT erroneously calls them “Canbus”. Since these bulbs are driven so hard to get them so bright they will get hot with extended use, like 10 minutes or so on a hot summer day. There’s also some type of built-in thermal switch that opens up to protect the resistors in this case (they are physically small and can only dissipate so much heat even with aluminum heat sinking). When that happens you will hyperflash but when turning off the blinkers for a short time, maybe 30 seconds, the switch resets and all is well. I’ve had mine over a year and the only time I could get them to hyperflash was by leaving the emergency flashers on for about 20 minutes.

Yeah, it really irritates me when any manufacturer or marketer says bulbs are "CANBUS".

It would better to say they are "compatible with most CANBUS monitored circuits since they mimic the load of an incandescent bulb"... but that's a lot of words most people probably won't read or understand.

007Tacoma 08-05-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_GD (Post 3527729)
Agreed, its in a tough position.

most people are pros at pulling the bumper by now.

I know I feel like I am... but I've also cut mine up so many times for different things that I probably should buy a new one at this point.
:lookout:

Heavy_GD 08-05-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007Tacoma (Post 3528203)
I know I feel like I am... but I've also cut mine up so many times for different things that I probably should buy a new one at this point.
:lookout:

Ha, I am due for a new one but every time a new scratch happens I say "glad I didn't have a new bumper" :tea:

When (if) they update the front end I'll buy one

4REIGN3R 08-05-2020 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroBoy (Post 3527879)
....I’ve had mine over a year and the only time I could get them to hyperflash was by leaving the emergency flashers on for about 20 minutes.

I find this irritating with mine. In fact, it looks like an emergency vehicle on the road when they don't flash in sync. But whatever, not a big deal to me.