Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2015 TRD Pro - Broke front spring? (broke while parked in garage) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288909-2015-trd-pro-broke-front-spring-broke-while-parked-garage.html)

rustbeltboss 08-03-2020 08:14 PM

2015 TRD Pro - Broke front spring? (broke while parked in garage)

Bought my 4Runner brand new in 2015. Did the recall shortly after purchasing to replace the faulty Bilstein shocks up front that would clunk in the winter, which did seem to fix it. Well today I washed by car, and dried it and parked it. Getting ready to come inside to eat, and heard a loud bang. The front left spring broke? On the lower end of the coil but not the very end. WTF? Anyone see this? The dealer did blow this apart when the car was basically new to replace the shocks and now I only have 30k miles. Oil changes only on this car have barely driven off road. Its babied. Plan on calling dealer tomorrow. Will post pics soon. These are Eibach springs right? Part #s? ugggg

rustbeltboss 08-03-2020 08:27 PM

https://i.ibb.co/jJmNJ70/shock1-Copy.jpg https://i.ibb.co/D4CmxY8/shock2-Copy.jpg https://i.ibb.co/Qr1pmWj/shock3-Copy.jpg

fbksurferjoe 08-03-2020 09:26 PM

I dont know if it is possible but I wonder if the spring wasn't sitting in the spring bucket correctly. There is usually a lower spot where the end of the spring nests.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

rustbeltboss 08-04-2020 08:49 AM

Possible. Other than the fact its been like this for several years now. And broke out of the blue. Very odd and disappointing.

nb rob 08-04-2020 08:54 AM

you might want to replace those 5 year old, corroded coilovers. Babied or not

4runnin4mylife 08-04-2020 09:02 AM

I agree with @nb_rob on this one. Your name says it all! The rust belt has struck again. Those coilovers look 15-20 years old with all that corrosion. I agree that those both need replacing anyway. It was time for sure by the look of your pictures. You may not want to hear it, but I don't think it had anything to do with dealer fixing an issue, past problem, etc.

rustbeltboss 08-04-2020 09:38 AM

Fair enough. I did end up getting the underbody rustproofed from new and thankfully most of the metal underneath seems to be holding up OK where coated. Don' recall ever hearing a spring just self destruct.

cb1111 08-04-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nb rob (Post 3527600)
you might want to replace those 5 year old, corroded coilovers. Babied or not

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4runnin4mylife (Post 3527602)
I agree with @nb_rob on this one. Your name says it all! The rust belt has struck again. Those coilovers look 15-20 years old with all that corrosion. I agree that those both need replacing anyway. It was time for sure by the look of your pictures. You may not want to hear it, but I don't think it had anything to do with dealer fixing an issue, past problem, etc.

Those coils don't look that corroded. They look dirty with some surface corrosion, but to recommend a blanket "replace after 5 years" is absurd - although these, of course, need to be replaced.

I'd return these to the manufacturer and have them opine to the cause.

4runnin4mylife 08-04-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1111 (Post 3527643)
Those coils don't look that corroded. They look dirty with some surface corrosion, but to recommend a blanket "replace after 5 years" is absurd - although these, of course, need to be replaced.

Nobody said a blanket statement that all coilovers should be replaced after 5 years. When i stated "those both need replacing anyway" I was referring to his coils in the shape they are in, no matter if one broke or not. We were both referring to his dirty/rusty coilovers in his pictures. I can say if mine looked like that, and they will one day, I will definitely replace them. But like we said, HIS 5 year old coilovers definitely need replacing... and you said that yourself.

Jetboy 08-04-2020 01:22 PM

Unusual for sure. IMO - I'd expect at least 10 years of use from the shocks and the springs should last the life of the vehicle. Springs should not ever really sag. Some do and some are not great metallurgy. But it's unusual. The problem with unusual events is that Toyota is going to be skeptical of how it happened.

Random guess after looking closer is a manufacturing defect in the spring. I'd guess it had cracks formed over a long time and finally the metal fatigue and cracks gave way and it broke.

I'd just replace with a new spring and go on. Shouldn't be very expensive.

nb rob 08-04-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb1111 (Post 3527643)

nobody said all shocks need replacement after 5 years. I mean in spite of this vehicle only having 30,000 miles, they are still 5 years old, and not brand new.

rustbeltboss 08-24-2020 02:22 PM

Figured I'd provide an update. Had the front shocks and springs replaced at my local dealer. They were not covered under any warranty. I've been busy with other life things so I just went ahead with the fix using factory parts. Re-aligned as well. Thanks.

tls3601 08-24-2020 02:45 PM

Seems to me dealer should have replaced spring under warranty.......🙄

honda250xtitan 08-24-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tls3601 (Post 3536121)
Seems to me dealer should have replaced spring under warranty.......🙄

its 5 years...isnt warranty 3yr/36k mile?

jp.vegas 08-24-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honda250xtitan (Post 3536179)
its 5 years...isnt warranty 3yr/36k mile?

Unless he bought additional coverage, yep.