Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Car Play screen scratches so easily. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/288973-car-play-screen-scratches-so-easily.html)

pointman 08-05-2020 04:14 PM

Car Play screen scratches so easily.

What kind of cheap shit is this? I literally have 200 miles on my car, and the screen has scratches all over it. Easily seen if you look at an angle. I googled, on people on the other 4Runner forum seem to have this issue as well. I take it others here have it as well, and just live with it?

SlickTRD 08-05-2020 04:29 PM

You can use this - Amazon.com: ZFM Screen Protector Compatible with 2020 Toyota 4Runner 8 Inch Touch Screen,Anti Glare Scratch,Shock-Resistant, Navigation Protection Accessories Premium Tempered Glass: GPS & Navigation

JsinLegacy 08-05-2020 04:35 PM

I'm curious how these are scratching so easily for some. Are you using anything other than your finger to touch the screen?

peekaboo 08-05-2020 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsinLegacy (Post 3528271)
I'm curious how these are scratching so easily for some. Are you using anything other than your finger to touch the screen?

Agree, I don't have any scratches on my 2020

LandCruiser 08-05-2020 05:26 PM

This is like the fifth thread on this.

Is this from regular use or you and/or the dealer cleaning it?

Seems the other threads had the dealer scratching the shit out of it with a cloth they also used to clean brake dust from the wheels or something.

pointman 08-05-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3528299)
This is like the fifth thread on this.

Is this from regular use or you and/or the dealer cleaning it?

Seems the other threads had the dealer scratching the shit out of it with a cloth they also used to clean brake dust from the wheels or something.

Dealer cleaner. I haven't cleaned it or done any horizontal movements. Merely just 'presses' with the tip of my index. I am captain ocd, I wouldn't just wipe the screen with a McDonald's napkin.

pointman 08-05-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JsinLegacy (Post 3528271)

It had to be during the new car prep. I have about 250 miles on my vehicle and it has not been wiped while I have owned it.

pointman 08-05-2020 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peekaboo (Post 3528282)
Agree, I don't have any scratches on my 2020

Take a look at it from an angle. I didn't think I had scratches, then titled my head and disappointment city, party of 1.

LandCruiser 08-05-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointman (Post 3528303)
Take a look at it from an angle. I didn't think I had scratches, then titled my head and disappointment city, party of 1.

Unless it is hand washed by people who know what they're doing, you'll have swirl marks and scratches in the clear coat. Those are most apparent under artificial light, like in a parking garage.

Staticrider 08-05-2020 05:41 PM

This is the first thing I did to my 2019 TRD. Actually did it twice as I broke the 1st. one during install. Works Great.
Amazon:LFOTPP Car Navigation Screen Protector for 2014-2018 4Runner Entune 6.1 Inch / 2013 BRZ, Clear Tempered Glass Infotainment Display in-Dash Center Touch Screen Protector

drewsro 08-05-2020 05:44 PM

Reminds me of the complaints that the iPhone X was getting when it first came out.

pointman 08-05-2020 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3528305)
Unless it is hand washed by people who know what they're doing, you'll have swirl marks and scratches in the clear coat. Those are most apparent under artificial light, like in a parking garage.

Yeah. I always opt out of any free car washes. New car prep, was something I never really thought would be an issue. I had no idea the screens were made of the finest plastic money could buy and they would use 1000 grit sandpaper to wipe down the screen. I are sad.

rightyouareken 08-05-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointman (Post 3528303)

I'm literally just leaving mine covered in finger prints so I can't see the inevitable scratches...

pointman 08-05-2020 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rightyouareken (Post 3528333)
I'm literally just leaving mine covered in finger prints so I can't see the inevitable scratches...

Literally.. and I am not joking.. because now I looked for it and can't "unsee" it and I am annoyed by it.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uplo...-you-gif-4.gif

pointman 08-06-2020 07:57 PM

None of you gentlemen have run into this? When I google, there are complaints on the other 4R forum as well as on reddit. I am trying to gauge if this is something I let slide, or I bring it up before they have the ability to say "oh you have x miles and its been x months" as an excuse.