Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Off-Roading (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/)
-   -   Mojave Road (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/off-roading/289104-mojave-road.html)

Sp00ner 08-10-2020 10:14 AM

Mojave Road

Anyone have experience on this route?

Looking at making a trip early next year. The water crossing at the end terrifies me a bit... The rest of it looks super awesome.

rheosibal 08-11-2020 05:17 PM

I did it in May and it was a great time.

Traveled Eastward (from Barstow), starting with the water crossing. Wasn't bad at all, however, then there wasn't much rain in the area for a few months. Water levels change frequently, so just be aware of the weather during your trip and a few weeks before.

I was the first of my group to pass through I stayed towards the right side as it's known to be a bit shallower compared to the middle. So in your direction of travel, stay to your left.

If you decide not to pass through, you are able to backtrack towards the way you came and take an alternate road that leads to the 15.

photo8 08-12-2020 05:11 PM

Get Dennis Casebier's Mojave Road Guide. It's excellent for history and directions.

Mojave Road Guide - An Adventure Through Time (Mojave Road Guide): Dennis Casebier: 9780914224372: Amazon.com: Books

http://https://images-na.ssl-images-...4,203,200_.jpg

Eacook1 09-25-2020 10:33 AM

Mojave Road is an awesome trail. I highly recommend it. The book mentioned above is great, I bought it but never used it while on the trail. I used my gps and had all the sites we wanted to see in the gps. There is a ton of really cool stuff to see.

You can do the trail in one or two days if you want to just blast thru it without stopping. We did a lot of extra site seeing so we spent 3 days on it.

From Socal we drove to the east end of of the trail and headed west so as to not have as long of drive home when done. The water crossing was a bit too deep for our comfort so we opted to turn around and backtrack a bit.

Bring extra gas if you plan on exploring.

Sp00ner 09-25-2020 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eacook1 (Post 3548147)
Mojave Road is an awesome trail. I highly recommend it. The book mentioned above is great, I bought it but never used it while on the trail. I used my gps and had all the sites we wanted to see in the gps. There is a ton of really cool stuff to see.

You can do the trail in one or two days if you want to just blast thru it without stopping. We did a lot of extra site seeing so we spent 3 days on it.

From Socal we drove to the east end of of the trail and headed west so as to not have as long of drive home when done. The water crossing was a bit too deep for our comfort so we opted to turn around and backtrack a bit.

Starting to make plans for next year already, though likely in mid July, and that seems to be the wrong time of year for that route, but we'll see how the plans shape up.

I've got that book in my cart on Amazon waiting to confirm and ship.

jp.vegas 10-04-2020 04:17 PM

It’s a fun trip. Done it maybe 10 times now? The water crossing is variable. Went through there two weeks ago and even though there was zero water anywhere else in Afton Canyon and the other water crossing, it was pretty deep in the one at the end. As deep as I’ve ever seen it anyway and got some water seepage into the truck past the door seals. The water itself was half way up the doors so not that surprising.

The trip is best if you take a few days and enjoy the historical sites both on and off the route. Lots of stuff to see out there for sure.

_Moose 10-04-2020 08:22 PM

Just seeing the number of vehicles go through and the water levels make me want to do it just because of the idea of crossing the Mojave River.

My question is even after watching people go through it in videos; Some people get water on the floor pushing past the seals and others don't. Is the little amount of water that makes it through an issue?

jp.vegas 10-04-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Moose (Post 3551660)
Just seeing the number of vehicles go through and the water levels make me want to do it just because of the idea of crossing the Mojave River.

My question is even after watching people go through it in videos; Some people get water on the floor pushing past the seals and others don't. Is the little amount of water that makes it through an issue?

Your mileage may vary but in this instance it wasn’t enough to concern me. The carpet got a little wet and I’m sure the channels on the sides of the body where the electrical runs got some water into them. I live in Las Vegas where the humidity is single digits all the time so it just dries out. No concern about anything. In the past, on other vehicles, when I’ve opened those spots up to add cabling and there was dirt in there transported by water but whatever.

The water levels vary but you’re not going to sink the truck and abandon it there.

Mighty Buffalo 10-09-2020 11:56 AM

I went with cousins almost a year ago. Drove to Laughlin, stayed the night, and then started the trail the next day. Very cool, will do again some day.

Water crossing was probably the biggest challenge. As far as we could tell, it hadn't rained all summer, but the water was still maybe 36" deep. Lots of water in cars, had to rebuild my starter a couple months later because of flooding. Maybe try duct taping door seams?

ElCid 11-01-2020 12:51 PM

Gps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eacook1 (Post 3548147)

Which GPS shows all that or did you download a file to load into yours?

pico1 11-01-2020 10:14 PM

i want to go on mojave road it is not to far from me

i have a 4runner new

patkelly4370 11-01-2020 11:21 PM

If one end is in Laughlin then it's in my yard.
Now I have to look for it.
I live in Golden Valley, AZ

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

StrykerT4R 11-03-2020 12:19 AM

It's a great trip. Make sure you stop at a couple of the abandoned mining operations and the lava tubes!

patkelly4370 11-09-2020 12:37 PM

Starting 2 week vacation tomorrow.
Tempting.

pixjohn 11-19-2020 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patkelly4370 (Post 3564732)
Starting 2 week vacation tomorrow.
Tempting.

Has anyone been through the water crossing in the past couple of days? Thinking of starting the Mojave road at the water crossing end first and then going to Death Valley.