Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Side mirror swap to add turn signal and puddle lamp (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/289164-side-mirror-swap-add-turn-signal-puddle-lamp.html)

Das Capitolin 08-11-2020 07:04 PM

Side mirror swap to add turn signal and puddle lamp

I recently replaced my 2005 4Runner SR5 with a 2019 SR5. While I would have liked a SR5 Premium or TRD Pro, inventory is incredibly scarce during these strange times. At any rate, I got a great deal, but still would have liked side mirror turn indicators and puddle lamps. Unfortunately, these are not available on the SR5 or TRD Off Road.

Visiting eBay, I found these: Fits Toyota 4Runner 14-16 Set of Side Power Mirrors Heated Signal Puddle Lamp | eBay
They claim 2014-2016 fit, but I suspect they also fit 2017-2020. (?)

Aside from reusing my existing painted mirror shells, will these plug into a connection somewhere inside the door? Any experienced advice is appreciated.

GCT4R 08-11-2020 07:11 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, premium models are wired for turn signals which the non-premium models are not. So these would not work.

daytonaviolet 08-12-2020 06:59 PM

Like gct4r said, your truck may not be wired for the puddles and turn signals.

For the mirror turn signals just wire it from the fender turn signal lights. As for the puddle, wire it from your dome lights.

I’ve read how Tacoma guys are doing the same mod and saw how the did the proper wires in the kick panel. Perhaps 4runner is the same.

I have a limited and my puddle lights turn on when I’m like 3-4 feet away or unlock the doors.

Das Capitolin 11-08-2020 03:07 PM

I have successfully upgraded my 2014-2020 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 to use TRD Pro mirrors with turn signals and puddle lamp.

This project would not have been possible without the retrofit wiring harness and detailed instructions provided by Tanner, aka Old Red. With his kit, you can upgrade the standard heated mirrors on a 2014-2020 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 to also include the side mirror turn signal and puddle lamp found TRD Pro mirrors. In upgrading my 2019 SR-5, I used aftermarket TRD Pro mirrors with the aftermarket sequential LED turn signals. I've posted the finished results on YouTube. Total project cost was $270 for all three products.

If you would like more information on the retrofit wiring harness, which was made using OEM Toyota components, visit Old Red's Instagram page.

matoolie 02-15-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Das Capitolin (Post 3564484)
I have successfully upgraded my 2014-2020 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 to use TRD Pro mirrors with turn signals and puddle lamp.

This project would not have been possible without the retrofit wiring harness and detailed instructions provided by Tanner, aka Old Red. With his kit, you can upgrade the standard heated mirrors on a 2014-2020 Toyota 4Runner SR-5 to also include the side mirror turn signal and puddle lamp found TRD Pro mirrors. In upgrading my 2019 SR-5, I used aftermarket TRD Pro mirrors with the aftermarket sequential LED turn signals. I've posted the finished results on YouTube. Total project cost was $270 for all three products.

If you would like more information on the retrofit wiring harness, which was made using OEM Toyota components, visit Old Red's Instagram page.

Did you use the aftermarket mirrors from your first post? If so, how is the fit and quality of the mirrors? Thanks!

Das Capitolin 02-15-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matoolie (Post 3604855)
Did you use the aftermarket mirrors from your first post? If so, how is the fit and quality of the mirrors? Thanks!

Yes, I used those aftermarket mirrors purchased off of eBay. They are okay, but fully aftermarket and not an OEM clone. They're still heated, although I have not yet tested that this works, and add signals and puddle lamps. Neither the signals nor the puddle lamps are OEM design, so those components are not interchangeable with OEM. In the end, they work, but they're not quite as durable (wall thickness is about 2mm vs 3-4mm for OEM). The painted shell was interchangeable.

Overall, they are not quite as well made as the OEM component, but you get what you pay for.

matoolie 02-15-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Das Capitolin (Post 3604863)
Yes, I used those aftermarket mirrors purchased off of eBay. They are okay, but fully aftermarket and not an OEM clone. They're still heated, although I have not yet tested that this works, and add signals and puddle lamps. Neither the signals nor the puddle lamps are OEM design, so those components are not interchangeable with OEM. In the end, they work, but they're not quite as durable (wall thickness is about 2mm vs 3-4mm for OEM). The painted shell was interchangeable.

Overall, they are not quite as well made as the OEM component, but you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the detailed info!

oljedi11950 02-15-2021 11:59 PM

2010-13 side mirrors

Shout out to Old Red for all his awesome help ! We discussed getting the 10'-13' yr mirrors as they have better/larger mirror . found some on ebay & same plug & a bigger turn signal light very happy with so far ! Cheaper than buying oem new wow $$$$:hatsoff:

steraser 03-09-2021 09:00 PM

I have a '21 TRD Pro which has heated mirrors but no turn signal or puddle lamps. I am assuming that it is not pre-wired but does anyone know for sure?

matoolie 03-19-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steraser (Post 3613891)
I have a '21 TRD Pro which has heated mirrors but no turn signal or puddle lamps. I am assuming that it is not pre-wired but does anyone know for sure?

It is not prewired in door harness, so you need aftermarket retrofit door harness from Old Red. Not to mention you need new mirror assemblies with signal and puddle lights.

darrensan 04-05-2022 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matoolie (Post 3618256)
It is not prewired in door harness, so you need aftermarket retrofit door harness from Old Red. Not to mention you need new mirror assemblies with signal and puddle lights.

Hey was planning on doing this mod, but couldn’t find Old Red’s aftermarket retrofit door harness? Or the installation video?

Can anyone help me out? 🤙🏾

TRDHULK 04-05-2022 10:16 AM

Interested in this as well

JustATallDude 04-05-2022 12:48 PM

Your best best is to keep on eye on his Instagram, or check the other 4Runner forum. He's apart of that one and I would not expect to see him pop up on this one ever again

TRDHULK 04-08-2022 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustATallDude (Post 3724831)
Your best best is to keep on eye on his Instagram, or check the other 4Runner forum. He's apart of that one and I would not expect to see him pop up on this one ever again

Mind if I ask why that is?

Old Red 04-08-2022 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDHULK (Post 3725489)
Mind if I ask why that is?

Simply put, I didn't like watching my time, energy, and effort that I put into my projects get deleted by a mod, to then have my harness designs (IP) ripped off by a certified scam artist that they brought onto this site. I freely gave info and was screwed over for it.

Read about it here:TRD Pro Side Mirror Swap/Upgrade

You might get a good laugh out of it.

Plus, the other site is far better, less adds, better UI. If you have questions, find me over there. Same username.