Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What is my Toyota dealer talking about? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/289253-what-my-toyota-dealer-talking-about.html)

Hunter61 08-14-2020 04:32 PM

What is my Toyota dealer talking about?

I have a 2004 4runner V8 Sport and am checking out my options for replacing the Shocks/Struts.

I got a quote from my local Toyota dealer for $4,000 to replace the shocks and for $6,000 if I want to ditch the Xreas system and replace the Xreas with normal shocks instead. I asked why do normal shocks cost so much more and he said an adapter is needed in order to use normal shocks on my car.
Adapters? WTF is he talking about? What is so different about these shocks that other shocks need adapters to install?

I actually plan on doing the conversion myself but got curious about what the dealer would charge.

montijo505 08-14-2020 05:00 PM

Holy moly that's highway robbery. But a set of Bilstein 5100 and FJ springs. Rip out xreas AFTER draining the oil, replace with 5100/FJ springs. Only time you need any adapters is if you have airbags in rear you need the conversion kit, which is not $2k.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Az4runnin 08-14-2020 05:10 PM

They are High as Hell my Goodness.

ads2539 08-14-2020 05:14 PM

That dealer is why the term “stealership” exists.

rdruss 08-14-2020 05:23 PM

Dealers think most owners are ignorant of the workings of their vehicle and therefore can tell them anything and charge them whatever they feel like.

xtremewlr 08-14-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 3531906)
I have a 2004 4runner V8 Sport and am checking out my options for replacing the Shocks/Struts.

I got a quote from my local Toyota dealer for $4,000 to replace the shocks and for $6,000 if I want to ditch the Xreas system and replace the Xreas with normal shocks instead. I asked why do normal shocks cost so much more and he said an adapter is needed in order to use normal shocks on my car.
Adapters? WTF is he talking about? What is so different about these shocks that other shocks need adapters to install?

I actually plan on doing the conversion myself but got curious about what the dealer would charge.

Do you have the adjustable ride height rear? That would be the only thing I could think of to require and adapter like that.

Metal Tech 4x4 sells a conversion kit to eliminate the rear airbag system for under $400 - Lexus GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Kit Complete

I had XREAS on my 03 V8 when I got it, no ride height in the rear tho. The XREAS is pretty easy to remove and I used 2019 Tacoma TRD front springs/shocks, 2017 rear Tacoma TRD shocks and new 2007 FJ Cruiser rear springs. The Tacoma shocks are a little soft for my liking but they work great and all together, I gained about an inch of lift over the stock 4Runner. It worked out to 3" over the collapsed XREAS that was on the truck tho.

All together, I pad about $500 for the parts and did the work myself. Your dealership is robbing you blind IMO.

Hunter61 08-14-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremewlr (Post 3531932)
Do you have the adjustable ride height rear? That would be the only thing I could think of to require and adapter like that.

Metal Tech 4x4 sells a conversion kit to eliminate the rear airbag system for under $400 - Lexus GX470 Rear Coil Conversion Kit Complete

I had XREAS on my 03 V8 when I got it, no ride height in the rear tho. The XREAS is pretty easy to remove and I used 2019 Tacoma TRD front springs/shocks, 2017 rear Tacoma TRD shocks and new 2007 FJ Cruiser rear springs. The Tacoma shocks are a little soft for my liking but they work great and all together, I gained about an inch of lift over the stock 4Runner. It worked out to 3" over the collapsed XREAS that was on the truck tho.

All together, I pad about $500 for the parts and did the work myself. Your dealership is robbing you blind IMO.

Nope, I don't have rear height control or air bags.

Hunter61 08-14-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3531916)
Holy moly that's highway robbery. But a set of Bilstein 5100 and FJ springs. Rip out xreas AFTER draining the oil, replace with 5100/FJ springs. Only time you need any adapters is if you have airbags in rear you need the conversion kit, which is not $2k.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I agree, it is highway robbery.
The only reason I went to the dealer for a quote was just to see what they'd charge.
I've looked into the Bilsteins but I really don't do any off roading so I would like to keep it stock. From what I understand, the non-Xreas shocks on an SR5 give a pretty good ride so I'm leanng towards just getting OEM shocks/springs for the SR5.

xtremewlr 08-14-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 3531945)
Nope, I don't have rear height control or air bags.

Then they are feeding you a line of complete shit about needing adapters. The XREAS system is self contained and has no elctrical connections. You can completely remove the system and replace it with standard suspension without affecting anything else.

Not counting the sway bar, this is the complete XREAS system after I removed it from my 4Runner.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._093640-X4.jpg

xtremewlr 08-14-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 3531950)
I agree, it is highway robbery.
The only reason I went to the dealer for a quote was just to see what they'd charge.
I've looked into the Bilsteins but I really don't do any off roading so I would like to keep it stock. From what I understand, the non-Xreas shocks on an SR5 give a pretty good ride so I'm leanng towards just getting OEM shocks/springs for the SR5.

Bilstiens don't mean offroading. They just make a really good shock. Buy used Tacoma stuff and swap that in. Cheap and fairly easy to find on craigslist. Direct bolt on except changing the lower shock bushings on the rear shock if you use Tacoma rears. Get 4Runner rear shocks and you are fine. Get FJ Cruiser rear coils and swap those in. They are cheap from Rockauto.com, like $75 for the pair. This will put the ride height back to stock plus maybe 3/4" to 1". And it will ride very, very nice on the road.

Hunter61 08-14-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremewlr (Post 3531955)
Then they are feeding you a line of complete shit about needing adapters. The XREAS system is self contained and has no elctrical connections. You can completely remove the system and replace it with standard suspension without affecting anything else.

Not counting the sway bar, this is the complete XREAS system after I removed it from my 4Runner.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._093640-X4.jpg

They never even asked me if I had rear height control or air bags.
The A-h**e's probably would have charged me for it anyhow.

I'm in the planning stage right now and not yet sure if I'll replace them with OEM shocks/springs or Bilsteins. Right now my shocks feel a bit tired and the hydraulic lines are heavily corroded & will probably going to rust through soon.

Hunter61 08-14-2020 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremewlr (Post 3531957)
Bilstiens don't mean offroading. They just make a really good shock. Buy used Tacoma stuff and swap that in. Cheap and fairly easy to find on craigslist. Direct bolt on except changing the lower shock bushings on the rear shock if you use Tacoma rears. Get 4Runner rear shocks and you are fine. Get FJ Cruiser rear coils and swap those in. They are cheap from Rockauto.com, like $75 for the pair. This will put the ride height back to stock plus maybe 3/4" to 1". And it will ride very, very nice on the road.

Did you mean you used Front struts from a Tacoma and rear shocks/springs from a 4runner? I'm curious about that extra 1" height you gained. Did you need an extended panhard bar?
Forgive me for asking so many questions but shocks/struts have always been something of a mystery for me.

xtremewlr 08-14-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter61 (Post 3531968)
Did you mean you used Front struts from a Tacoma and rear shocks/springs from a 4runner? I'm curious about that extra 1" height you gained. Did you need an extended panhard bar?
Forgive me for asking so many questions but shocks/struts have always been something of a mystery for me.

Yes, front struts from a 2019 Tacoma.

The rear shocks I used are from a 2017 Tacoma. They require these bushings for the lower (axle) shock mount to fit - Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 9.8108G 3/4" Hourglass Shock Eye Bushing: Automotive

To make things easier in the rear, you could just buy new 4Runner rear shocks if you wanted.

I replaced the stock rear springs with new (from rockauto.com) 2007 FJ Cruiser springs.

Everything combined I estimated at 3/4" to 1" lift over a stock suspension, non-XREAS, 4th gen 4Runner. It gave me 3" of lift over the collapsed and worn out XREAS that was in the truck beforehand.

No other suspension changes were made. I still have the stock panhard bar in there. I did remove the front sway bar but that was because I wanted to based on how I use the truck. You would be fine leaving it installed otherwise.

xtremewlr 08-14-2020 07:31 PM

These are the Tacoma suspension pieces I installed.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._170328-X4.jpg

Front struts (assembled shock and spring) are basically identical to the old 4Runner XREAS struts and non-XREAS struts.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._131047-X4.jpg

New FJ rear coil spring compared to the old, original spring I removed from my 4Runner.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._151131-X4.jpg

This is how my 4Runner sat with the old, collapsed XREAS suspension.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._113403-X4.jpg

This is after installing the Tacoma parts and FJ rear springs.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2003-4Run..._092735-X4.jpg

Hope that helps.

Hunter61 08-14-2020 07:47 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot. Geez, After trying to sort through all the info here about shocks I was more confused than ever.
Now it's time to find the stuff I need to order.