Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   My TRD off road Premium rides like a boat :( (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/289475-my-trd-off-road-premium-rides-like-boat.html)

leowiz 08-21-2020 12:40 AM

My TRD off road Premium rides like a boat :(

So we bought our new 2020 TRD off road premium and now that I have driven it for a few, I am very dis-satisfied by the way it rides. It just wobbles and sways like I am on a boat even on almost flat roads.

I am guessing KDSS makes a HUGE difference in the way the car rides? I should have gone for KDSS but there were no TRDOP available for 2 months and so we bought the first one that was arriving that week and it did not have KDSS.

Anything I can do to make the ride a bit stiffer. Stiffer sway bars? Or live with it until I can sell it and buy one with KDSS?

ax2021 08-21-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leowiz (Post 3534576)
So we bought our new 2020 TRD off road premium and now that I have driven it for a few, I am very dis-satisfied by the way it rides. It just wobbles and sways like I am on a boat even on almost flat roads.

I am guessing KDSS makes a HUGE difference in the way the car rides? I should have gone for KDSS but there were no TRDOP available for 2 months and so we bought the first one that was arriving that week and it did not have KDSS.

Anything I can do to make the ride a bit stiffer. Stiffer sway bars? Or live with it until I can sell it and buy one with KDSS?

HaHa! I am sorry. I was in the same boat, back in 2018. When I bought it was super happy with suspension,spacers, bigger tiers,3 months later I drove a boat. Looks like you are up for high and suspension and trust me it will bring your truck back to your hands. No more body rolle , nose dive and lighter truck filling. Good luck with your upgrade!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Craig 08-21-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

There was a recent thread (a few months back) that was very similar from another person with buyer's regret.

KDSS does help, but not as much as you think and that ship sailed for you. One of the biggest advantages of KDSS honestly is for travel off-roading. Your best bet if you have a limited budget would be to consider doing a Bilstein 5100 upgrade all around as it will firm up your suspension some and likely help with both nose dive and overall cornering stability. Total price should be below $1K.

If you have closer to two to three grand to put into things, I recommend looking into a much higher end after market suspension such as Icons or Kings.

Part of the appeal of the Pro to me was the upgraded suspension for that matter. Lots of threads on this forum on this topic to say the least.

pointman 08-21-2020 02:31 AM

I test drove a ton of 4Runners prior to buying. I am used to more taut vehicles and without KDSS I wasn't a fan at highway speeds. I don't know if you will get used to that feeling you hate, but realistically I think you eventually will.

You stated you drove it for "a few". You should contact the dealership you purchased it from, and comb over your documentation for any grace period you may have. Have to get rid of it one way or the other. No point in not enjoying something.

02SE 08-21-2020 03:13 AM

When I was test driving 4Runners late last year, I drove every variation. I greatly preferred the ride of the TRD ORP with KDSS.

You could get some shocks with firmer damping, to tame the boat feeling a bit.

Charlievee 08-21-2020 05:54 AM

Had the same experience when i got my 2018. The more i drove it, the more i hated it. I installed the Eibach Pro kit and it it made a world of difference.

Eibach Pro-truck lift

I would think a better shock like the Bilstiens would help counter the stock springs. This was my first option, but went with the lift to make it less of a station wagon and never doubted my choice.

Deuxdiesel 08-21-2020 06:22 AM

Either Eibach or Bilstein shocks will help (around $450 for all 4) or you can add a set of springs to the front (around $175) and or to the rear in addition to the front. I went with Bilstein 5100's front (set a zero) and rear, Eibach 1" sport coils in the rear and Toytec/Eibach 1.6" coils up front. The total was less than $800 and it really changed the driving dynamics. Much less sway on the highway, a little less lean on corners and less nose dive on braking, with very little loss of comfort. It sucks that they don't come from the factory with better suspension, but it is what happens when you a truck and try and make it cushy for the soccer-moms.

Smitty19TRD 08-21-2020 06:27 AM

Same here with my TRDOR. I came from a Jeep Wrangler which has its own quirks. I live in the country and drive through fields to get to my house. I loved the far more comfortable ride of the 4Runner but the boat feeling was real.

My neighbor has the identical truck but installed Bilstein shocks, no lift. Comparing side by side, it was a clear difference. The digressive valving does a good job of tightening up the handling. The trade off is, you feel more of the smaller bumps off-road; but, it is still far more comfortable than my Jeep.

I have not tried the Eibach shocks so I can't render an opinion on them. You may want to read up on the valving differences between them. Either way, a simple shock upgrade may be all you need.

PNWMike 08-21-2020 07:25 AM

I wasn't a huge fan of the stock ride quality, but knew I'd be doing a lift and pretty much knew the changes I'd planned would resolve the boatiness. I went with the Falcon TeraFlex Sport Tow/Haul system, FWIW. Drives like it ought to now.

Baystate4Runner 08-21-2020 08:04 AM

One of the reasons I went with a PRO - it rides much better has less body roll and feels more planted on the road than the OR (including the ones with KDSS).

ProfessorP 08-21-2020 08:21 AM

My 2019 T4R TRD OR has KDSS. It’s rides better than the SR5 and OR without It, but it’s still a boat. My Dobinsons suspension lift helped make it feel more planted and minimized nose dive when braking, but once again it’s still a boat.

If you make an SUV with precise pavement handling, it’s going to suffer off road. The 4Runner gives up handling quality in order to improve off road capability. Other slick handling crossover SUV’s don’t do as well off road.

If you don’t plan to go off road, then the 4Runner was probably a bad choice.

We’re spoiled by modern car handling. The 4Runner isn’t a modern car. That’s part of its charm and probably why it’s one of the most reliable vehicles sold in the USA.

tm965 08-21-2020 08:46 AM

upgrading the suspension and control arms makes a world of difference. also consider that going to a wider tire and/or wheels with an offset that pushes the tires further out from the vehicle makes a difference too

bakerb87 08-21-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

As has been mentioned, a quick upgrade to 5100 or Eibach shocks will solve this for you.

Do you plan to do some off roading? If so, I would look in to spending a little more on suspension, that way you take care of the boaty/body roll issues and set yourself up with a rig ready for the trails.

mteolus 08-21-2020 10:10 AM

Wait until you need to slow down quickly and hit the brakes medium hard. The brakes will grab and start to squeal the tires when all you wanted to do was slow down quickly but not lock them up. Not only that you will get a severe nose dive. Very dangerous. A 4Runner flaw.

Brakes can't be helped but yea, you need a new suspension.

O and don't drive through deep water fast. It will blow your front valance right off the bumper.

Charlievee 08-21-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mteolus (Post 3534660)
Wait until you need to slow down quickly and hit the brakes medium hard. The brakes will grab and start to squeal the tires when all you wanted to do was slow down quickly but not lock them up. Not only that you will get a severe nose dive. Very dangerous. A 4Runner flaw.

Brakes can't be helped but yea, you need a new suspension.

O and don't drive through deep water fast. It will blow your front valance right off the bumper.

Lol, gotta love the Nanny brake assist system. Nothing like panic stopping 1/4 mile away from a red light, when all you wanted to do was slow down the forward momentum.