Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Hello, I’m New to the 4th Gen life style Starting today (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/289671-hello-i’m-new-4th-gen-life-style-starting-today.html)

Drcoffee 08-26-2020 06:40 PM

Hello, I’m New to the 4th Gen life style Starting today

Hi all,

Back in 2012 I bought a ‘99 SR5 4x4 for my daughter after she totaled her ‘01 Honda Civic In a T-bone accident. After seeing the carnage, I would only buy her another vehicle with a real frame, that would Also be reliable and not leave her stranded. Well, I had no idea about the rear axle seal issues and it took me 2 months of trial and error to get it sorted out. Following the KISS method of keep it simple stupid and posted a DIY on how to fix your 4runner the right way the first time.

A possible solution to leaking axle seals - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I updated all the maintenance and then handed the keys to my daughter who has finished nursing school, gotten married and moved out of state. It was a double loss, because I lost my baby and my hunting/towing rig at the same time.

https://www.my.is/cdn-cgi/image/form...peg.12419/full

Well today, I believe I found a newer truck at a great price and pulled the trigger. You tell me. I bought it From a dealer who started the price at $9,000 two months ago, finally dropped the price to $7,600 and I talked him down to $6,500 plus tax and title. Its a Black 2007 SR5 Sport 4x4 V6 with 222,000 miles in pretty good shape, no accidents, basically 1 owner truck. The only flaws I could find is the left front axle needs replacing because of torn outer CV boot, no noises. And a slight pulse in the braking, but brakes in straight line. The frame has very minimal surface rust with no signs of being covered up. No visible oil leaks, and looking down the oil filler, no carbon deposits anywhere. I took it for a 1 hour test drive, highway and side streets, no shakes or other issues. I plugged a obd2 scanner and no codes popped up. MPG averages 18-19. The only issue I saw was Bank 2 long term fuel trim was +7% which is a slight vacuum leak but well under the 20% limit. Bank 1 is virtually 0%. Tires are getting worn but for the few miles I plan to drive it, I am not worried about that for a year or so.
First things to fix will be a transmission fluid exchange, add a Magnefine filter and tranny cooler. Then spark plugs and axle half shafts and finally diff and transfer case oil change.

Is there anything else I should address upfront? I’m happy to be back in a 4runner. My DD is a Lexus IS350 2014. So this is more of a toy.

AuSeeker 08-26-2020 07:13 PM

Congratulations on your T4R 4th Gen!!

Sounds like you got a great deal, but not knowing where you live it's hard to say...also I can't see your photo.

I would at some point flush the power steering fluid...but makes sure you use transmission fluid as stated on the reservoir cap and not power steering fluid, also a brake fluid flush, but I would wait to do that when doing the brakes since it sounds like you will need to do at some point since they're pulsing.

I would also check the spare tire carrier for proper function, they tend to rust, lower it all the way down and lubricate both the cable and the spool and it should be good for a year or more depending on the weather where you live.

Zero0575 08-27-2020 08:46 AM

Be sure to check your front calipers (or have them checked if you don't do the brake job yourself) as frozen calipers are common on 4th gens. I was in the middle of a front brake job earlier this week and found that one of the 4 pistons on a front caliper was frozen. I just went up to Pikes Peak in CO last week and found this issue afterward, ahh!!!

CV axles are an easy DIY on these as well. Enjoy your 4th gen!

Syr4RinNC 08-27-2020 09:30 AM

Congrats - sounds like you know your 4r maintenance well. The 06 you should have much less risk of head gasket being blown and transmission issues

Good / fair deal on it. 9k too much 7k about right

Let us know what we can help with

Drcoffee 08-27-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syr4RinNC (Post 3537292)
Congrats - sounds like you know your 4r maintenance well. The 06 you should have much less risk of head gasket being blown and transmission issues

Good / fair deal on it. 9k too much 7k about right

Let us know what we can help with

Where can I find the factory shop manual pdf?

montijo505 08-27-2020 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drcoffee (Post 3537613)
Where can I find the factory shop manual pdf?

404 (Page Not Found) Error - Ever feel like you're in the wrong place?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

montijo505 08-27-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3537619)

Well that didn't work, look at the top of page one in the 4th Gen section, there's a "sticky" for the FSM download.

gaber6 08-27-2020 10:50 PM

New struts, shocks and endlinks will make it ride like new.. even if they are kyb complete struts.

I almost have all the rattles out of my 2005.

Drcoffee 08-27-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaber6 (Post 3537644)
New struts, shocks and endlinks will make it ride like new.. even if they are kyb complete struts.

I just realized I have the X-REAS shocks, so I will start looking to replace them with Bilsteins soon.

Just completed a few items on the punch list. Steering fluid change and added a Magnefine filter. Sprayed frame with NHOU to slow the rust, being parked outside, its a must.

https://www.my.is/attachments/7d2c04...6af637a5b4dd5d

Drcoffee 08-28-2020 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL. I was going to regap the spark plugs but I dont think the electrode can bend that far. They all gapped at 0.078”. They were half NGK and half Denso, so these were still the original plugs. I didnt think copper plugs could last that long. It does make me wonder what other maintenance they chose not to Do over the past 13 years.

https://www.my.is/cdn-cgi/image/form...peg.12420/full

montijo505 08-28-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drcoffee (Post 3537844)
LOL. I was going to regap the spark plugs but I dont think the electrode can bend that far. They all gapped at 0.078”. They were half NGK and half Denso, so these were still the original plugs. I didnt think copper plugs could last that long. It does make me wonder what other maintenance they chose not to Do over the past 13 years.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...a0ae1d07e0-jpg

Did you use atf for the power steering?

MikeinNH67 08-28-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaber6 (Post 3537644)

You are not kidding here, I put used but almost new Gen 5 OEM strut assemblies on my truck and I'm amazed at how much better it rides. I would cringe over speed bumps and such now I can just zip over them. Also the sway bar bushings are a cheap thing to swap to limit noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drcoffee (Post 3537844)

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...a0ae1d07e0-jpg

Sounds like my truck, former owner was awful with maintenance. The plugs looked horrifically worn but man did it run better after I installed new ones of the recommended part number.

Drcoffee 08-28-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montijo505 (Post 3537864)
Did you use atf for the power steering?

YES, I used Valvoline MaxLife dex/merc ATF.

Wardbird 08-28-2020 06:47 PM

Welcome to the club. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Drcoffee 09-01-2020 03:19 PM

:redbrick: I found this drivers side radiator leak on the backside while scanning for possible issues. Looks like a sealant may have been used before trading in the truck.

https://www.my.is/attachments/b9371e...6c2b3b5d5f44a4