Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Method new 703 wheels (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/289798-method-new-703-wheels.html)

DannyLlama 08-30-2020 02:30 PM

Method new 703 wheels

Thoughts on the new Method 703 wheels? They claim is that they grip better when running low pressure. Is that a gimmick?

Wheel info

https://www.methodracewheels.com/pro...778d8060&_ss=r

"Patent pending Bead Grip® technology engages tire bead for increased grip at low tire pressures"

Pic of the wheel

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1592261351

GripT4R 08-30-2020 05:42 PM

Adding knurling to a bead surface area on a wheel is no new thing. Its been around for a long time.

Its obvious that roughing up a surface will add more traction compared to a smooth surface. Adding a raised lip behind the bead area is also nothing new. Aluminum wheel mfg’s have been doing it forever.

They can say whatever they want to sell wheels. There is no real data to back up the claim, just as there is no data to call B.S. on the same claim.

It may actually help, but how much?

If you like the wheels, buy them. If you sleep better knowing your tires will be more difficult to unseat when extreme off-roading, buy them.

delloro 08-30-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3538601)
Adding knurling to a bead surface area on a wheel is no new thing. Its been around for a long time.

Its obvious that roughing up a surface will add more traction compared to a smooth surface. Adding a raised lip behind the bead area is also nothing new. Aluminum wheel mfg’s have been doing it forever.

They can say whatever they want to sell wheels. There is no real data to back up the claim, just as there is no data to call B.S. on the same claim.

It may actually help, but how much?

If you like the wheels, buy them. If you sleep better knowing your tires will be more difficult to unseat when extreme off-roading, buy them.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1569330076

GripT4R 08-30-2020 06:53 PM

Like i said. A mfg can claim whatever they want. Lets see the actual data. Not marketing materials.

If you like the fact it may be 20% stronger, go for it.

How many issues have you had with “regular” beads breaking on trails?

DannyLlama 08-31-2020 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3538645)
Like i said. A mfg can claim whatever they want. Lets see the actual data. Not marketing materials.

True

83Mule 08-31-2020 04:34 PM

First things first.......If I think a Wheel looks *****in!....I'll buy it. If it retains the tire better in the 1% of use I'll give it, but it's ugly? No Sale!

usdmej 08-31-2020 06:05 PM

would be nice if they advertised the actual weights of the wheels they sell. Tirerack seems to be the only one that documents them. From their site, it looks like Method wheels range from pretty darn light to downright porky

Inv4drZm 08-31-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3538645)

It happened twice between two different vehicles on our Rubicon trip, a bead blew while on an incline which makes it a bear to change out, and after an hour or more they ended up ruining a tire driving to a flat spot to be able to jack up the vehicle enough to change it. This was at a claimed 17 psi.

Meanwhile my brother was running 9 psi on his 37s with Method beadgrips and didn't have any issues.

Anecdotal I know but if they get you closer to the performance of a beadlock without the huge hassle, weight, and cost then it's a winner. That same trip a buddy with real beadlocks kept shearing grade 8 bolts on the interstate.

Big Daddy K 08-31-2020 06:32 PM

I did kind of chuckle, they call these trail series and none of them have any type valve stem protection. I've seen more than one valve stem get damaged on the trail.

DannyLlama 08-31-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3539085)
It happened twice between two different vehicles on our Rubicon trip, a bead blew while on an incline which makes it a bear to change out, and after an hour or more they ended up ruining a tire driving to a flat spot to be able to jack up the vehicle enough to change it. This was at a claimed 17 psi.

Meanwhile my brother was running 9 psi on his 37s with Method beadgrips and didn't have any issues.

Anecdotal I know but if they get you closer to the performance of a beadlock without the huge hassle, weight, and cost then it's a winner. That same trip a buddy with real beadlocks kept shearing grade 8 bolts on the interstate.

This is helpful

@Bigdaddy K which wheel offers valve protection?

GripT4R 08-31-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3539085)

Why are you explaining this to me? I am not interested in these wheels.

Inv4drZm 08-31-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3539147)

I'm just answering your question with actual first-hand experience.

delloro 09-01-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripT4R (Post 3539147)

Or evidence, it would seem. :D

Big Daddy K 09-01-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyLlama (Post 3539126)
This is helpful

@Bigdaddy K which wheel offers valve protection?

The factory trail/TRD OR wheels have pretty good protection. Most bead locks offer decent protect and even some of the fake bead give you something.

The Alphaequipt have two valve stems one is recessed for the TPMS stem which tends to be the one that breaks. But not really sure why they thought it necessary to have the second other than it may be difficult to get a chuck on the recessed stem.

In the Methods, the 313 offers a little better protection with the lip where the stem sits in. The 314 has great protection for a non-bead lock wheel, maybe so much that airing up/down might be a pain. Would have to see with actual stems in. The 312 is hidden nicely as well.

Nick B 09-01-2020 04:58 PM

Those wheels would look a lot better without the logo.