Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   TRAC VSC and ABS lights on (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/289890-trac-vsc-abs-lights.html)

nail bender 09-02-2020 07:04 AM

TRAC VSC and ABS lights on

how do I troubleshoot this issue and get the lights to go off? thanks for any help.

96RedRunner 09-02-2020 11:33 AM

Alternate Search for T4R - 3rd Gen Section

Whakeen 09-02-2020 12:01 PM

Buy or borrow an OBD II scanner and get the error code. Once you have the code use the search function linked above. If you still can't get to the bottom of it post the error code on here. Good luck.

spartacus 09-02-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nail bender (Post 3539785)
how do I troubleshoot this issue and get the lights to go off? thanks for any help.

I'm the check engine light also on? Have you replaced the cluster lights 20th leds if so that could throw the voltage off and cause the issue. The VSC module, abs sensor cleaning might help. some folks have just disabled the VSC system.

96RedRunner 09-02-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nail bender (Post 3539785)

Where I started a while back on a 01.
Speedometer/Odometer Not Working + Related Warning Lights (P0500) - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

plcfcng 09-03-2020 10:02 PM

pull the rear axle sensors and see if there gear oil on them. This can cause those lights to go off.

biggestmexi 09-05-2020 11:10 AM

First, if there is no engine light, an OBDII code reader will not do anything.

Second, you will need to check your ABS codes, which is easy.
  • Find the "DIAGNOSTICS" connector that's on the drivers side of the engine, on the high edge of the intake plenum.
  • In the lower left, you'll find a small plug that pulls out. That's a "shorting pin", pull it.
  • Now use a piece of wire to jumper from E1 to Tc.
  • Go into the truck and turn the key forward.
  • Watch and count the blinks of the (ABS) light.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/media/ab...ate=1342927579
https://www.tacomaworld.com/media/ab...ate=1342927582

With the light blinking it will blink a certain number of times and then short pause then blink again. This will give you the 2 digit code. Wait for the code twice as you might have more than one code.

Then you can start from there.

nail bender 09-06-2020 10:13 AM

Thanks I think this will help. the check engine light is not on just the others stated in my first post

biggestmexi 09-06-2020 10:45 PM

Yeah, the ABS system doesn't post codes to where you would find a normal engine trouble code. So, a regular OBDII reader won't work. The method above is super easy.

I just recently had an issue like this and found it through the ABS codes.

My issue was the rear pass. shock top was sheared off and hit the cable for the speed sensor and ripped it.

losso 09-07-2020 08:52 PM

I had the same issue and my problem was the third brake light was out. Check that. Good luck

nail bender 09-08-2020 09:24 PM

is there somewhere I can find what the code means. when the jumper is in place the abs light blinks 3 pause 2

Skulking 09-08-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nail bender (Post 3542093)
is there somewhere I can find what the code means. when the jumper is in place the abs light blinks 3 pause 2

A few posts above you there is a post with a list of all of the codes. Based on your description of the flashes, it sounds like code 32 which according to that list is Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Signal Malfunction.

nail bender 09-08-2020 09:43 PM

I found what the codes meant online. I had replaced the left front wheel speed sensor and as I new it was bad. caught the wires when removing the oil filter and pulled them out of the plastic connector. left front wheel speed sensor code was what came up. I did not know I needed to clear the code to get the lights to go off. now that I have cleared them they are all off. thanks to all for your help

Whakeen 09-09-2020 11:29 AM

nail bender, glad you got it sorted out and my apologies for posting incorrect guidance. I hastily read your post and assumed it was a similar situation to mine where I had the VSC and TRAC lights on as well as the CEL.

And thanks to biggestmexi as I learned something today about the ABS codes! I've been a motorcycle guy for about 25 years so I'm still figuring out auto troubles as they come up.

biggestmexi 09-09-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whakeen (Post 3542228)
nail bender, glad you got it sorted out and my apologies for posting incorrect guidance. I hastily read your post and assumed it was a similar situation to mine where I had the VSC and TRAC lights on as well as the CEL.

And thanks to biggestmexi as I learned something today about the ABS codes! I've been a motorcycle guy for about 25 years so I'm still figuring out auto troubles as they come up.

No problem and glad to help. I recently had to look up all this info and there wasn't an easy place to find it all together so I put it here.