Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Fuel Tank Skids (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/290245-fuel-tank-skids.html)

gimlithepirate 09-15-2020 05:28 PM

Fuel Tank Skids

Anyone have a fuel tank skid they like? I've got a nice big dent (and probably a half gallon lighter tank lol) in my stock one and want to replace it. Thing is, the only skid I've seen with much protection on the front edge of the tank is C4 fab one. Does any other skid have decent protection on the front edge of the tank? I can't find a good picture of a Shrockworks skid, which is why I ask.

Fern 09-15-2020 08:05 PM

I have the RCI tank skid. It's solid.

gimlithepirate 09-16-2020 08:59 AM

I was concerned about it not protecting the front corner. Since you actually have it, do you think it works OK there?

Inv4drZm 09-16-2020 10:09 AM

The stock fuel skid can take a beating IMO. Hard to capture it in pictures but I've been wheeling with it for years. Not to say there isn't some luck involved, and that I'll be able to bolt it back on once I take it off because of how mangled it is. Just sayin' if you're on a budget...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df43df26_h.jpg

RagoFabrication 09-16-2020 12:59 PM

Rago Fabrication makes 2 different Killer Fuel Tank skids.

One is made out of 3/16 Steel and the other 1/4 Aluminum. Of course that would be your choice, if you are looking for a heavier stronger skid plate. the steel will provide a hard exterior that will be best if you are a more advanced off roader doing more rock climbing.
Here's a link so you can check them out.

2002 - 2009 4th Gen Toyota 4Runner - Fuel Tank Skid Plate – Rago Fabrication

Derekv 09-16-2020 02:23 PM

I have the RCI aluminum fuel tank skid plate. Works great. Light weight. Already has some gouging from off roading. Highly recommended.

Derek V

gimlithepirate 09-16-2020 02:56 PM

Inv4drZm, I have to say that if you wheel with stock I am way less worried about the rock sized dents in mine than I was when I initially posted xD Dang that's some serious bangs and scrapes.

I also have to say, I was incredibly surprised how well the stock armor protected my 4runner. Like you said, some luck is involved, but the stock stuff has a lot of thought put into it.

BackOff 09-16-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inv4drZm (Post 3544698)
The stock fuel skid can take a beating IMO. Hard to capture it in pictures but I've been wheeling with it for years. Not to say there isn't some luck involved, and that I'll be able to bolt it back on once I take it off because of how mangled it is. Just sayin' if you're on a budget...

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...df43df26_h.jpg

Food for thought.

The gas tank is plastic.
A rock trapped between the beat to death skid and the plastic tank seems like a good recipe for a holed tank in the middle of nowhere...
And those rear link skids at the frame, hook that on a ledge and rip the trailing arm off will make for a good adventure.

Love that 4runner though.
One of the few active threads that actually beat on a 4th gen.

MN4RNR 09-16-2020 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimlithepirate (Post 3544450)
Anyone have a fuel tank skid they like? I've got a nice big dent (and probably a half gallon lighter tank lol) in my stock one and want to replace it. Thing is, the only skid I've seen with much protection on the front edge of the tank is C4 fab one. Does any other skid have decent protection on the front edge of the tank? I can't find a good picture of a Shrockworks skid, which is why I ask.

I put the C4 Fab one on my 4th gen. Fits perfect and it's beefy.
C4 Fabrication 5th Gen Fuel Skid on 4th Gen

BackOff 09-16-2020 11:22 PM

Something else i was just thinking.

My 2nd gen t4r, i put a big dent in the gas tank skid. Metal tank.
When the low fuel light came on you had about 5-6 miles to fill up.
Before dent it was more like 20 miles if i remember right.

Fern 09-17-2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimlithepirate (Post 3544686)
I was concerned about it not protecting the front corner. Since you actually have it, do you think it works OK there?

Front corner is very well protected. Not to worry.