Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How to disable tpms in a 5th gen 4runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/290288-how-disable-tpms-5th-gen-4runner.html)

Fredward 09-17-2020 12:22 PM

How to disable tpms in a 5th gen 4runner

3 Attachment(s)
If anyone is curious how to disable tpms in a 5th gen it’s super easy. I noticed there were write ups on 4th gen’s but not 5th gens. The idea is simple and can be acccomllished in many ways but you basically just send a 12v ign to the dash bulb keeping it from grounding, so the light never comes on. Just take off the lower instrument panel, which requires you pull off the piece circled in orange, remove 2 10mm bolts (red arrow), there’s another one on the left you can’t see, it’s behind the little kick panel that you need to mostly remove to get to. Then it’s just the clips in green. Then you just Find the tpms module. There are 4 modules/rows of connectors. This is just left and below the steering wheel. The farthest right one, it’s brown/grey with a black connector, is the tpms module. It’s bolted to the dash with a single bolt on a silver bracket. Grab the plug and cut the green wire in pin 5 (Count from left to right, looking at the back of the connector, starting with the blank space) and connect it to the green wire in pin 7 and done. You can use a quick tap, or strip and solder. And bam. Your done. Now the tpms light will never come on. I’m just not a fan of the expense that comes with tpms. Tpms is a safety feature as a significant percentage of accidents are attributable to flats ad. Low tire pressure but I’m a grown ass man

CO-Cygnus 09-17-2020 12:25 PM

This seems like an awful lot of work to save $36 and not have any TPMS again unless you go back and un-do it.

spartacus 09-17-2020 12:46 PM

Good writeup. The tpms sensors gets confused when it's really cold. Ive invested in a good digital tire pressure sensor and check the air pressure everyonce In a while specially before trips and have not had any issues with low pressure ever.

delloro 09-17-2020 01:10 PM

Use the Universal Special Service Tool.

Small piece, goes right on the dash.

https://images.uline.com/is/image/co...1&icc=AdobeRGB

jhebert9 09-17-2020 05:56 PM

tps sensors

It looks like that disables the light, but not the sensors. Why not just remove the bulb?

delloro 09-17-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhebert9 (Post 3545303)
It looks like that disables the light, but not the sensors. Why not just remove the bulb?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...ger_joker.jpeg

Seriously?

Fredward 09-17-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO-Cygnus (Post 3545155)
This seems like an awful lot of work to save $36 and not have any TPMS again unless you go back and un-do it.

It’s seriously not a lot of work. Like 10 min maybe. You take out two bolts and pull a panel off, then splice one wire. Maybe if you don’t work on your own cars much it would be a 30 minutes. And where are tpms sensors 36 bucks?

As far as the tape, I’m not going to put tape on my cluster This isn’t a 3rd gen lol.

This is a whole hell of a lot easier than removing the cluster to get the bulb out although I did consider that.

The point is I’m have new wheels and Tires and I don’t want to deal with transferring the tpms. Don’t want to pay for it. And want to have both sets of wheels and tires mounted and balanced so I can swap back and forth. I just want good ole valve stems. I dislike nanny systems.

Just trying to share some information for people that want to know.

JMZ400 09-17-2020 09:58 PM

You can also place all 4 sensors in a piece off PVC propery pressurized and throw in the back. Light off and no cut wires.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

CO-Cygnus 09-17-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredward (Post 3545395)
It’s seriously not a lot of work. Like 10 min maybe. You take out two bolts and pull a panel off, then splice one wire. Maybe if you don’t work on your own cars much it would be a 30 minutes. And where are tpms sensors 36 bucks?

As far as the tape, I’m not going to put tape on my cluster This isn’t a 3rd gen lol.

This is a whole hell of a lot easier than removing the cluster to get the bulb out although I did consider that.

The point is I’m have new wheels and Tires and I don’t want to deal with transferring the tpms. Don’t want to pay for it. And want to have both sets of wheels and tires mounted and balanced so I can swap back and forth. I just want good ole valve stems. I dislike nanny systems.

Just trying to share some information for people that want to know.

Everyone’s got their preferences, I get that. Not trying to be aggressively critical.

Personally - TPMS has saved me so many times by letting me know I probably have a nail, screw, or whatever causing a slow leak in my tires before they’re totally flat a trailhead.

I personally avoid modifying anything with any car’s stock electrical system if I can help it.

Partsgeek has sensors for $36. eBay has sets of 4 for like $60.

intenseTRD 09-18-2020 02:17 AM

i used one of these when i disabled mine. easily removable if you change your mind later.

https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/prod..._yrvyfo5oy.JPG

Grug556 09-18-2020 01:53 PM

You know if you keep your spare tires with TPMS next to the truck in the garage, when you start it up you have around 20min or so of driving before it does the recheck and notices the sensors arent with the truck anymore.

When you start it up if they are close (i keep mine on a rack next to where i park in the garage) it shows that they are all good to go! For me I drive to work and i get just near my office before sensor pops on. So maybe 20 miles worth.

Its an orange light.. who cares :horn:

83Mule 09-18-2020 09:11 PM

I have ignored the light for four years.........my brain doesn't even register it now.

patkelly4370 09-18-2020 10:54 PM

Had my TPMS light come on a couple weeks ago. Thought I caught a nail or something.
All four tires were 28 psi. Curious as I haven't aired down in a while.
I've kept them at 35 this summer (30 in "winter")

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ads2539 09-18-2020 11:51 PM

I did the toggle switch TPMS mod in my 4th gen, and I’m very happy with it. I have wheels with the factory TPMS and wheels with aftermarket TPMS. I just flip the factory TPMS off when I’m using the aftermarket sensors.

Somewhere in the 5th gen procedure, I assume a toggle switch just needs to be spliced in somewhere. (I’m not an electrician, so please correct me if I’m wrong.)

ads2539 09-19-2020 12:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I googled “tpms meme”, and was not disappointed: