Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   What tires do you use? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/290351-what-tires-do-you-use.html)

Satter 09-19-2020 12:16 PM

What tires do you use?

My 4R came with Goodyear Wranglers when I bought it brand new back in Oct 97. I’ve used the same brand ever since and have never had an issue. Traction is excellent on both wet and dry pavement. With normal tire rotation every 5,000 miles they’ll usually last to 60 or 70 thousand miles.

Fiffa 09-19-2020 12:27 PM

Picked up my '00 last year with 255/75/17 Duratracs on them. I haven't really go too crazy on the trails yet, but they seem to do the job. I plan to switch over to 255/80/17 Wildpeak AT3's when the Duratracs wear out, though, because I keep hearing so much good stuff about them.

texadelphia 09-19-2020 05:41 PM

I'm also curious about the Wildpeaks. Mine currently has Michelin LTX M/S2s on it which have more of an on-road tread pattern so I'm concerned about increasing road noise.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

OpenYota 09-19-2020 05:46 PM

265/75/R16 Goodyear Wranglers on stock 5-star wheels

monkishtypist 09-19-2020 10:17 PM

Running General Tire's Grabber ATX in 265/75-16. Quiet on the road considering the aggressive tread.

snydmax 09-19-2020 10:36 PM

265/75r16 wildpeak at3’s

Very impressed

These do not have significant road noise. Yes, occasionally you hear them but there is no droning or “wah-wah”

The traction is exceptional both on and off road.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ef0243b9f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Endlessblockades 09-20-2020 01:37 AM

265/75/16 Milestar Patagonia MT on 7" 5-star stock alloys. $128 each at Discount Tire. So far, so good. Unexpectedly quiet on the highway but you can feel the (expected) rolling resistance in the city. I've only aired them down once and they gripped like crazy but I'm an off-road beginner so maybe the excitement clouded my judgement. When it came time for off road tires there was a covid-driven (lots of quarantine buyers per distributors) shortage of the more popular brands and sizes in North America so I went AWOL and am happy with them so far.

96743runner 09-20-2020 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I run 265/75R16 Duratracs and no complaints here. Great all-around performance and they look aggressive. Been running them around 8 years now.

jgue467 09-20-2020 09:35 AM

Have had the noisy, noisy (35mph and up) duratracs.

Then I got Michelin LTX AT2s, WOW!

They can accomplish every bit the duratracs could in texas' rocky, sandy & sometimes muddy hill country BUT they make no discernable road noise, smooth as glass and quite so you can listen to another person speak inside easily.

Not cheap but also not expensive, I love the side snipes, really help grab loose surfaces. No punctures/flats in 40K miles so far!

sugjavier 09-20-2020 10:22 PM

I believe I have the Costco Michelin Defender LTX or the LTX AT2 and I have no problems with it

Thebeastlives 09-20-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3546171)
265/75/16 Milestar Patagonia MT on 7" 5-star stock alloys. $128 each at Discount Tire. So far, so good. Unexpectedly quiet on the highway but you can feel the (expected) rolling resistance in the city. I've only aired them down once and they gripped like crazy but I'm an off-road beginner so maybe the excitement clouded my judgement. When it came time for off road tires there was a covid-driven (lots of quarantine buyers per distributors) shortage of the more popular brands and sizes in North America so I went AWOL and am happy with them so far.

That is a highly rated tire yet is very inexpensive. How does the tire sound on the highway? Does it make alot of noise?

Endlessblockades 09-21-2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebeastlives (Post 3546392)
That is a highly rated tire yet is very inexpensive. How does the tire sound on the highway? Does it make alot of noise?

To my ear no. Nothing at all like the fullsize pickup truck MTs you hear at full song on the freeway, but I'm no expert. I'd like to hear them from outside/another vehicle but I want to drive my rig everytime it gets driven, so that won't be happening soon. I'll ask the wife to swap rides one of these days for a quick external listen but from inside my cabin it's not really noticeable - to me. There are a lot of reviews that say similar things if I remember correctly.

toverturf 09-21-2020 01:40 AM

I'm running the Toyo Open Country A/T III. I'm pretty new to the whole off roading world so I don't have much to compare it to. They seem pretty quiet to me on the freeway and have done good so far on some small off roading i've done.

Thebeastlives 09-21-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3546423)
To my ear no. Nothing at all like the fullsize pickup truck MTs you hear at full song on the freeway, but I'm no expert. I'd like to hear them from outside/another vehicle but I want to drive my rig everytime it gets driven, so that won't be happening soon. I'll ask the wife to swap rides one of these days for a quick external listen but from inside my cabin it's not really noticeable - to me. There are a lot of reviews that say similar things if I remember correctly.

Nice thank you

blarblarjosh 09-22-2020 11:15 AM

I have 285/75r16 Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxxs and they've been great so far. No road noise, but I don't daily the 4runner so only a couple thousand on them.