Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Anyone use a car cover? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/290485-anyone-use-car-cover.html)

ericantonio 09-24-2020 12:01 PM

Anyone use a car cover?

Hola!
SoCal resident here. Hot sunny most of the year. I moved into a small place with a 2 car garage but it's a tandem garage. I have a prius up front that I do my go getter groceries and around town driving.

Was thinking of parking my 4runner in a suburban street with a car cover. Lots of trees here and if I park for a couple of days, lots of debris. I know I"m not supposed to park more than 72 hours in one spot but with Covid and people working from home, none of that is being enforced unless your car looks like crap and will get a warning.

Wondering what you guys recommend. A custom type to fit perfectly or a kinda fit type that will work on several types of suvs.

I'm not that tall so how are you getting it over the roof?

Whippersnapper02 09-24-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericantonio (Post 3547734)
Hola!
SoCal resident here. Hot sunny most of the year. I moved into a small place with a 2 car garage but it's a tandem garage. I have a prius up front that I do my go getter groceries and around town driving.

Was thinking of parking my 4runner in a suburban street with a car cover. Lots of trees here and if I park for a couple of days, lots of debris. I know I"m not supposed to park more than 72 hours in one spot but with Covid and people working from home, none of that is being enforced unless your car looks like crap and will get a warning.

Wondering what you guys recommend. A custom type to fit perfectly or a kinda fit type that will work on several types of suvs.

I'm not that tall so how are you getting it over the roof?

I have a Coverking on my GTO that sits in the driveway but not the Runner since it's my daily. They can add height to the cover for rack clearance if you need it.

LandCruiser 09-24-2020 12:09 PM

Car cover will announce to the CA tax collectors your truck is parked for more than 72 hours and they will target you.

BobsTrail 09-24-2020 12:11 PM

I had a cover for a while, it's a mess and nuisance. It needs to be stored after removing and it may be wet and/or dirty with no place to put it to dry.

ericantonio 09-24-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LandCruiser (Post 3547739)
Car cover will announce to the CA tax collectors your truck is parked for more than 72 hours and they will target you.

Hahah! Legit true man!! I see a guy with one nearby that's why I was thinking about it. Grrrr, can't win with the tax man and HOA. I'm guessing I can always move it every 3 days or so. Lately I've seen cars for weeks in same spot. And a few jump starts from not starting the car for a while.

Sadly I don't have a driveway.

fkheath 09-24-2020 01:00 PM

Use car cover?

Depends on the color of your 4Runner. Dark colors will have the paint damaged quickly when exposed to hot sun, light colors not so much. Also, you definitely need a breathable cover, for any moisture trapped inside (condensation, not just rain) will damage any paint.

ElectroBoy 09-24-2020 01:26 PM

If the car cover material is anything like my expensive BBQ grill cover it will start disintegrating after 2 years. Better factor that into the cost of ownership.

grizzlypath 09-25-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3547771)
Depends on the color of your 4Runner. Dark colors will have the paint damaged quickly when exposed to hot sun, light colors not so much. Also, you definitely need a breathable cover, for any moisture trapped inside (condensation, not just rain) will damage any paint.

So, to add an additional somewhat opposite concern...

You also need to be aware that the vehicle and cover interior need to be perfectly clean otherwise light scratching can and will occur. Additionally, if there's wind, car covers can "flap around" basically slapping your paint which will cause marring over time.

I used to detail cars and my personal opinion would be to get a sun shade to protect the dashboard, tint to hide/protect the interior. Wash the vehicle and apply a decent wax to help make cleaning later easier. Use a UV protectant coating on plastics (e.g. Aerospace 303). Then just leave the vehicle in the elements...

If it gets beat up enough, either pay or dedicate a few hours once every while to performing a decent wash/clay/polish if necessary/wax.

Just my $0.02.

spartacus 09-25-2020 12:59 PM

Use the cover it will help buy one that blocks uv light. The sun damages the paint quiet bit over time. Roll it up and put it in the trunk in a mesh bag or a open box or crate. hang it in the garage to air it out and dry when wet.

phillyd2 09-26-2020 09:45 AM

Not the 4R but do use one for a F250 from Carcovers.com. It’s their Platinum Shield version and have been pleased with it.

2011 Toyota 4runner Suv Covers | Guaranteed Fit | CarCovers.com

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...af13c79a_z.jpg

ericantonio 09-28-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3547771)

I had no idea color matters! Mine is the generic silver color

ericantonio 09-28-2020 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grizzlypath (Post 3548181)
so, to add an additional somewhat opposite concern...

You also need to be aware that the vehicle and cover interior need to be perfectly clean otherwise light scratching can and will occur. Additionally, if there's wind, car covers can "flap around" basically slapping your paint which will cause marring over time.

I used to detail cars and my personal opinion would be to get a sun shade to protect the dashboard, tint to hide/protect the interior. Wash the vehicle and apply a decent wax to help make cleaning later easier. Use a uv protectant coating on plastics (e.g. Aerospace 303). Then just leave the vehicle in the elements...

If it gets beat up enough, either pay or dedicate a few hours once every while to performing a decent wash/clay/polish if necessary/wax.

Just my $0.02.

nice tips!

ATX14 09-28-2020 11:02 PM

I use this car cover for both my 4R and my Tahoe. The cover fits over my Prinsu Roof Rack as well. I bought it from Amazon.

CarsCover Custom Fit 2010-2019 Toyota 4Runner SUV Car Cover Heavy Duty All Weatherproof Ultrashield 4 Runner Covers