Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Quietest Full Length Roof Rack (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/290600-quietest-full-length-roof-rack.html)

CITYRNR 09-28-2020 06:20 PM

Quietest Full Length Roof Rack

Alright I want to get a roof rack but don't want the wind noise. I know there is no way we will find a definite 'winner' here but if you have experience with one roof rack being quieter than another please post it and maybe we can draw some conclusions.

Thank you!

batex 09-29-2020 07:16 AM

I don’t notice any additional noise with my Sherpa Crestone roof rack. So far, I love the rack and the way it mounts. Rock Solid.

97BlackAckCL 09-29-2020 11:13 AM

I have the full length Baja Low Profile rack and I don't notice any wind noise with my moonroof open. I drive with it open all the time

4RunnerMurse 09-29-2020 11:16 AM

I have the full length Uptop Overland rack and it's extremely quiet. Absolutely love it.

gsla72 09-29-2020 12:17 PM

Full length Southern Style Offroad rack with all optional cross bars (i.e. all positions filled). I've driven with this rack for over a year and hardly ever had any noise off of it.

The only instance I've heard anything noticeable on it was driving 80+ mph in a high crosswind. At that point the aerodynamics of driving a brick are about as much a factor as the rack.

fkheath 09-29-2020 01:29 PM

I have had both the factory SR rack and the TRD Pro rack and never noticed any noise.

pDubs 09-29-2020 02:51 PM

Prinsu full length here, noticed absolute no wind noise going from stock side rails (w/out crossbars)

Inked 09-29-2020 03:12 PM

Full length LFD aluminum for me. I previously had the Ecotechne mounted. Both racks were equally as quiet....as far as having a full length racks go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilr0y 09-30-2020 01:08 PM

full-length Gobi Stealth with the no-rise option, with the wind-deflector installed, the noise is negligible

icyhotahs 09-30-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4RunnerMurse (Post 3549647)
I have the full length Uptop Overland rack and it's extremely quiet. Absolutely love it.

I just ordered it. Did you use RTV for the anchor spots? I was thinking of another plan...

4RunnerMurse 10-08-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icyhotahs (Post 3550113)
I just ordered it. Did you use RTV for the anchor spots? I was thinking of another plan...

I actually got some rubber washers around the holes and also used butyl rubber sealant. Seems to be holding up really well!

HOJeepster 10-08-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batex (Post 3549569)
I don’t notice any additional noise with my Sherpa Crestone roof rack. So far, I love the rack and the way it mounts. Rock Solid.

I have the Sherpa, I would not call it 'rock solid'. Given the construction, it's made of thin aluminum strips of material bolted together by tons of small screws. When I use the rack handles, I feel the rack move. Versus my old Whitston Rack, I would call the Sherpa less 'solid' than a fully welded steel rack like a Gobi.

Noise wise, Sherpa is ok...assuming you can get the front wind fare mounted correctly, otherwise it whistles like crazy.

bhibbert80 10-08-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOJeepster (Post 3552964)
I have the Sherpa, I would not call it 'rock solid'. Given the construction, it's made of thin aluminum strips of material bolted together by tons of small screws. When I use the rack handles, I feel the rack move. Versus my old Whitston Rack, I would call the Sherpa less 'solid' than a fully welded steel rack like a Gobi.

Noise wise, Sherpa is ok...assuming you can get the front wind fare mounted correctly, otherwise it whistles like crazy.

Surprised to hear this. I have the Sherpa too and I would also say it’s “solid”. It doesn’t move or flex when I grab the handles - but I’m not hanging off of it either - 170lbs.
There is also no additional noise noted from installing it to what I had before. (Stock rack with Yakima bars) I’ve also never experienced the whistle you mention.

icyhotahs 10-09-2020 06:46 PM

I'm thinking of using Sherpa rubber mounts to dampen my rack when I install it (UpTop). Anyone done this yet?

BlueHoriz0n 10-09-2020 07:53 PM

I have a FrontRunner full length, there is some noise I noticed at first but now I don’t notice anything I’m also not running the additional fairing. I honestly wouldn’t buy another rack if I did it again!