Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Jerking to side when braking and/or hitting bumps (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/290672-jerking-side-when-braking-hitting-bumps.html)

texadelphia 10-01-2020 10:15 AM

Jerking to side when braking and/or hitting bumps

I've noticed that when I'm coming to a stop on a road that isn't completely smooth my rig will sometimes jerk to one side if I hit a bump and I'll have to correct at the steering wheel to keep it straight.

I checked my control arm bushings and tie rods and everything seems tight. I still have to check bushings in the rear, sway bars, and lower ball joints.

Combined with highway vibrations it makes me think there's something in my suspension that's loose but I can't seem to find anything that's a problem. I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. Could it be that this is somewhat normal and just a bad road/truck suspension thing?

Mushroom_Toy 10-01-2020 10:26 AM

Did you check the calipers and rotors? Stuck calipers will pull, esp. if its on one side. Warped rotors if severe can give some vibration while rolling as well as when stopping.

texadelphia 10-01-2020 10:46 AM

I took a look at the rotors and didn't notice any strange wear and the wheels spin freely. I didn't pull the calipers to try to move the pistons but I didn't see any signs pointing to that. I also don't notice any pull on smooth roads.

rexassian 10-01-2020 11:49 AM

How long has it been since you've gotten an alignment?

texadelphia 10-01-2020 12:11 PM

Bought it a few weeks ago so I don't know the last time it was aligned.

rexassian 10-01-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3550532)
Bought it a few weeks ago so I don't know the last time it was aligned.

I'd start there personally. Any decent shop will let you know of issues in the suspension at the same time. I would take it to an independent shop rather than a chain like Firestone or similar. Just look up reviews locally for the shop and go from there.

thennen 10-01-2020 12:52 PM

Probably not rust since you're in Oregon, but my 2001 had 265k miles on it when the passenger rear control arm mount rusted through. It was getting a little squirrely for a few weeks, then got really bad right before its final drive to the dealership to trade on another vehicle.

96RedRunner 10-01-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3550556)
then got really bad right before its final drive to the dealership to trade on another vehicle.

perfect timing, you let them find out on their own.

3bears 10-01-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rexassian (Post 3550537)
I'd start there personally. Any decent shop will let you know of issues in the suspension at the same time. I would take it to an independent shop rather than a chain like Firestone or similar. Just look up reviews locally for the shop and go from there.

agree with this.^^^
find one with good reviews, even ask here for your city.
I dont think this part of forum is used enough ( below). I have met people up here who are members on the forum and didnt know this section was available. ( its in a poor location, the bottom of sponsors page, I think it should be further up)

hopefully for your area someone can help you out, either through this thread you started or the one below

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/ameri...lick-to-view-/

Nashvillerunner 10-01-2020 01:53 PM

That is most likely a seized caliper. My 4th gen was doing the same thing a few weeks ago and I replaced the calipers, rotors and pads and problem was solved.

thennen 10-01-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3550560)
perfect timing, you let them find out on their own.

It seems you're making an assumption. No, the dealer was fully aware, and we discussed it upon my arrival. I got $300 for it.

96RedRunner 10-01-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thennen (Post 3550592)
It seems you're making an assumption. No, the dealer was fully aware, and we discussed it upon my arrival. I got $300 for it.

Didn't assume anything no judgement either way. Man of character aye. :rockon:

thennen 10-01-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96RedRunner (Post 3550598)
Didn't assume anything no judgement either way. Man of character aye. :rockon:

Gotcha, thanks. That was an unnerving 20-mile last drive on the freeway. I wasn’t certain of the break until the guy pointed it out.

texadelphia 10-01-2020 06:19 PM

Just went for a drive and couldn't get it to pull too either side on smooth pavement no matter how hard I braked. It only jerked when there were obvious ruts or pot holes and it didn't seem to favor either side...sometimes it was to the right and sometimes to the left. So I'm thinking it might be an artifact of the road surface. Like ruts or imperfections in the road are pulling it to that side. Still going to get the front wheels off the ground and see if there's any kind of asymmetric behavior...like if one side can be spun when the brakes are applied.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

jgue467 10-02-2020 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texadelphia (Post 3550671)
...So I'm thinking it might be an artifact of the road surface. Like ruts or imperfections in the road are pulling it to that side...

It may be an 'artifact' of the road but its a Feature of this vehicle to not handle road bumps too well and 'bounce' off the intended path. Kinda of like when you turn onto and thru railroad tracks, the rear end jumps a bit to one side as it hits the tracks, nbd. Luck.