Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Steering wheel not centered...normal? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/290775-steering-wheel-not-centered-normal.html)

keithyota 10-04-2020 07:53 PM

Steering wheel not centered...normal?

When driving straight down the road, the steering wheel is not centered, but off to one side.

Is this normal setup, sign of some underlying issue?

Inv4drZm 10-04-2020 08:00 PM

Your toe is off on the alignment of the front tires, you'll need to take it in to get it aligned or checked.

keithyota 10-04-2020 08:00 PM

It seems no photos I post are attached. not sure what I'm doing so wrong. I upload the image...

keithyota 10-04-2020 08:01 PM

I just had alignment done...maybe they don't know what they are doing... I'll followup

y=mx+b 10-04-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithyota (Post 3551641)
When driving straight down the road, the steering wheel is not centered, but off to one side.

Is this normal setup, sign of some underlying issue?

Not normal, but not abnormal. Just get an alignment. Look underneath and see if anything is obviously bent or twisted, could be from a variety of things. For example, could have toe out on one wheel and toe in on the on the other, causing both to point left or right when the steering wheel is centered. turning the wheel to the side would then "center" the steering

edit: looks like Inv4drZM beat me to it!

andreylights 10-04-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithyota (Post 3551646)
I just had alignment done...maybe they don't know what they are doing... I'll followup

Please let me know. Have the same issue, that happened after latest alignmetn. Wheel is off 2-3°. No problems with steering tho, no wondering on the hwy, best alignment comfort-wise I have ever had.

Inv4drZm 10-04-2020 08:28 PM

Toe can still be 'correct' with an uncentered steering wheel as far as tire wear goes. Its just the tech didn't find the balance between adjusting the left and the right sides to center the steering wheel perfectly.

pauldub 10-04-2020 10:36 PM

Since it was just aligned, it likely just a poor job of centering the steering wheel. Take it back and have them fix it. Might as well share the before and after alignment data for our critique and amusement.

keithyota 10-05-2020 10:45 AM

funny enough they said their printer was out so didn't give me the alignment data. They confirmed their device to hold the steering wheel must have slipped and will fix it. Thank you all!

gaber6 10-05-2020 10:40 PM

My alignment was off by 1.5 degrees on the steering wheel only for 30k miles. I lived with it and now it is funny in my head to have a straight wheel on the highway.