Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Should airbags be replaced? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/291017-should-airbags-replaced.html)

Satter 10-12-2020 09:19 PM

Should airbags be replaced?

My 98 4Runner still has the original airbags. Should they be replaced?

gamefreakgc 10-12-2020 09:25 PM

You know, I've wondered the same thing. Do I have a fragmentation grenade in the dash ready to go off? I have no clue. I do frequent 4Runners in junk yard frequently and they all have good bags that deploy as they should, I've never seen a 4Runner with a biohazard flag on it (meaning there's blood in the car from the crash) which is what I'd assume would happen if the air bag was no good and killed the driver.

Morbid thoughts.

brillo_76 10-13-2020 07:28 AM

Interesting topic and definitely one to think about. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

jgue467 10-13-2020 06:55 PM

An observation not talked about much at all. My general understanding is they need examination/possible replacement after 10 yrs, most of our 3rd gens are somewhere between 19-almost 25 yrs, yikes!

brillo_76 10-14-2020 09:29 AM

I have no intention of changing mine. The system has self test diagnostic in it. Besides brand new air bags would probably be insanely priced. I will watch the topic though as it's an excellent question with our air bags being close or over 20 years old.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

I_bRAD 10-14-2020 10:11 AM

Interesting question. I'd add seatbelts to the list for consider.

There's a sticker inside the console storage of my '90 volvo to get the airbags checked at 10 years. Guess I'm about 20 years overdue for that!

WeakSauz 10-14-2020 10:16 AM

That's a fair question, and one that never gets asked. Airbags are sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" thing.

Don't need them until you need them :)

sportscarfan 10-14-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_bRAD (Post 3554767)
Interesting question. I'd add seatbelts to the list for consider.

I just replaced the drivers seat belt in the '98 4runner we have. I was surprised that it was available, and reasonably priced.
Replaced because it had the classic slow/no retraction.

Twisted Sid 10-14-2020 10:28 AM

What's the difference between an airbag that is 20 years old and in the vehicle now or one that's 20 years old and has been sitting on a shelf?
I cant see anyone making brand new ones for a 20+ year old vehicle

3bears 10-14-2020 01:02 PM

are new ones any better.....seems to be tons of recalls

Satter 10-14-2020 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3554832)
are new ones any better.....seems to be tons of recalls

To the best of my knowledge those are Takata airbags and Toyota only used them from 2002 to 2017. Third gen 4Runners should be good.

Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns

96RedRunner 10-14-2020 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have wondered this myself, they worked when needed @ 22 yrs old, current Runner 19 yr old still wondering, ha.

96RedRunner 10-14-2020 04:36 PM

Seatbelt Thread while back mentioned using seatbeltrepair.com $65.00 refurb service depending on options, alternate source service just sayin.
Airbags haven't looked yet.

Endlessblockades 10-14-2020 04:37 PM

More than a few folks like to swap in a Lexus steering wheel (Tim and Sean both, I believe) on their 3rd Gens. I have been put off by just bolting on a new wheel containing an unknown airbag. I guess you really never know an airbag until it deploys, but it seems sketchy (probably just because I'm a novice). Thoughts?

WeakSauz 10-14-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3554921)
More than a few folks like to swap in a Lexus steering wheel (Tim and Sean both, I believe) on their 3rd Gens. I have been put off by just bolting on a new wheel containing an unknown airbag. I guess you really never know an airbag until it deploys, but it seems sketchy (probably just because I'm a novice). Thoughts?

I am with you here- Airbags are specifically engineered for the vehicle they're installed in. For example, those who swap in Celica steering wheels and bags into their 3rd Gens are running airbags engineered for a Celica's interior dimensions. Your arms rest in different places in these two vehicles, and the engineers develop airbags around all of these different parameters. These are just a couple.

I've wanted to swap in a Rav4 steering wheel in the past, with OEM audio controls, and this is the primary thing that has stopped me.

Someday if the truck ever becomes off-road only, I'll just go with harnesses and lose the airbags entirely.