Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Researched bigger tires+lift, but now maybe just stock size upgrade? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/291134-researched-bigger-tires-lift-but-now-maybe-just-stock-size-upgrade.html)

kaitlyn2004 10-17-2020 12:05 AM

Researched bigger tires+lift, but now maybe just stock size upgrade?

I've got a 2020 4Runner TRD off-road w/ KDSS & Dunlop AT and about 11,000km (6800 miles) and I feel like my mind has been racing all over the place...

Upgrading to tires, larger size
Looking at lift/suspension options

And now I'm thinking I should just replace with 265/70/17 (stock size) Wildpeak A/T3W tires.

- I was originally thinking 275/70/17, but the wildpeaks seem above-average size and that a rub might be possible (despite trail4runner saying 275's don't rub!)
- Lift lets me put on bigger/taller tires, but then I'm certainly looking at a BMC, messed up speedo, MAYBE safety sense issues, worse fuel economy... and lift doesn't gie me more ground clearance, only taller tires will (and a fender/rear chop would be an easier and cheaper way to improve angles!)
- I don't do any "offroading" just hitting gravel and unmaintained roads, but I've been able to get to all the trailheads I've wanted so far (and further than other cars have been able to push)
- I've not yet aired down tires, but I wonder/worry if when I start airing down my tires if I'll run into any ACTUAL reduced ground clearance issues..
- Everything I read seems to indicate people want to be putting on the larger tires/largest they can get away with because of the benefits (despite some cons listed above) but obviously people are upgrading and keeping stock tire size?
- Save money from larger+heavier tires, lift, possible BMC and put that towards other things I can DEFINITELY use more immediately?
- I guess going this way doesn't preclude me from doing diff tires/chop/lift later on... maybe when stock suspension is more worn, when I don't worry as much about chopping "brand new" car, etc. etc...?

Any reason I should reconsider my latest idea of just replacing stock size with a better AT winter-rated tire?

SpeedyKevin 10-17-2020 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 (Post 3555863)
I've got a 2020 4Runner TRD off-road w/ KDSS & Dunlop AT and about 11,000km (6800 miles) and I feel like my mind has been racing all over the place...

And now I'm thinking I should just replace with 265/70/17 (stock size) Wildpeak A/T3W tires.

- I was originally thinking 275/70/17, but the wildpeaks seem above-average size and that a rub might be possible (despite trail4runner saying 275's don't rub!)
- Lift lets me put on bigger/taller tires, but then I'm certainly looking at a BMC, messed up speedo, MAYBE safety sense issues, worse fuel economy... and lift doesn't gie me more ground clearance, only taller tires will (and a fender/rear chop would be an easier and cheaper way to improve angles!)
- I don't do any "offroading" just hitting gravel and unmaintained roads, but I've been able to get to all the trailheads I've wanted so far (and further than other cars have been able to push)
- I've not yet aired down tires, but I wonder/worry if when I start airing down my tires if I'll run into any ACTUAL reduced ground clearance issues..
- Everything I read seems to indicate people want to be putting on the larger tires/largest they can get away with because of the benefits (despite some cons listed above) but obviously people are upgrading and keeping stock tire size?
- Save money from larger+heavier tires, lift, possible BMC and put that towards other things I can DEFINITELY use more immediately?
- I guess going this way doesn't preclude me from doing diff tires/chop/lift later on... maybe when stock suspension is more worn, when I don't worry as much about chopping "brand new" car, etc. etc...?

Any reason I should reconsider my latest idea of just replacing stock size with a better AT winter-rated tire?

On my phone so cant type much but will say 285s will make the speedo more accurate haha

4CrawlerORP 10-17-2020 01:42 AM

I also have a 2020 ORP w/ KDSS and I did a modest lift (2.5/1.5 6112/5160) with 275 KO2s. It may not be meaningfully more capable off-road, but I LOVE the way it looks and handles. No BMC, no UCAs, and no rubbing.

https://i.imgur.com/LbwM9gq.jpg

borfoo3 10-17-2020 02:25 AM

Better off-road tires = better off-road traction/ lost MPG + road noise
Better suspension = better bump handling / usually firmer ride
Lift = more clearance to not get stuck / higher CoG

How you mod depends which of the above pros you want and cons you can live with.. money and coolness factor aside of course.

TRD PANTHER 10-17-2020 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyKevin (Post 3555873)
On my phone so cant type much but will say 285s will make the speedo more accurate haha

This is true!

TRD PANTHER 10-17-2020 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4CrawlerORP (Post 3555876)
I also have a 2020 ORP w/ KDSS and I did a modest lift (2.5/1.5 6112/5160) with 275 KO2s. It may not be meaningfully more capable off-road, but I LOVE the way it looks and handles. No BMC, no UCAs, and no rubbing.

https://i.imgur.com/LbwM9gq.jpg

Do something like this with either 275 or 285’s. Your nose dive when braking will be greatly reduced. As Speedy Kevin stated, with 285’s the speedo is almost right on. Just about 1% over. Plus you’ll like the way it looks and works off road better. This is a “mod” forum. Lol

blschaefer1 10-17-2020 11:09 AM

I did Wildpeak AT3W’s in stock size and am very happy. Been off road several times and never wished I had a lift or bigger tires.

delloro 10-17-2020 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would recommend you get the best-quality 275's and call it a day. Maybe add full aluminum skids.

I personally would get the 285's, and do a BMC if needed. With your factory TRD wheels, may well not need the chop. May need a little plastic work on the liner, but that is easy. Mudflaps will have to go.

The 285's will be 0.68" bigger at the corners, so at full lock, if you are not within 3/4" of anything with your current tires, you are good.

If you later decide you need suspension because you are dragging over things, then do so.

spartacus 10-17-2020 12:47 PM

Bigger tires not only help with the ground Clearance but more surface area when air down and a more comfortable ride even on gravel or forest service road specially washboards.

02SE 10-17-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delloro (Post 3555941)
You already have the Fox suspension, so no need to upgrade that. Want, perhaps; need, no.

The TRD Off-road W/KDSS doesn't come with the Fox shocks.

delloro 10-17-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02SE (Post 3556001)
The TRD Off-road W/KDSS doesn't come with the Fox shocks.

Ugh.

But the TRD OR w/out KDSS does come with the Fox shocks?

4CrawlerORP 10-17-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delloro (Post 3556019)
Ugh.

But the TRD OR w/out KDSS does come with the Fox shocks?

Nope. Only the TRD Pro gets the Fox shocks.

delloro 10-17-2020 07:56 PM

Got it. Thx.

thirteen 10-17-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaitlyn2004 (Post 3555863)

Maybe my experience will help you decide. I have a TRD OR with KDSS. Stock suspension, only changed to SCS wheels and 265 Falken Wildpeaks. This is not a daily driver. I mainly use it off road, and for camping trips. I guarantee I've been on rougher trails than most people you see with their big lifts and giant tires. I'm not doing any extreme boulder climbing or anything, but I get on some pretty rough trails. I always air down, usually at 18 psi. Never had an issue.

My skid plates get scraped up sometimes, but that's why we have them. The trails I go to are not in my backyard, I have to drive on the highway to get where I need to go. The highways around here are steep, winding mountain roads and it's important to me to not ruin the handling of the vehicle and make it unsafe to drive. Your stock 4Runner will get you anywhere you need, within reason. 99% of the people that get lifts and big tires seem to do it just to look cool on the way to work. Just get some good AT tires and go have fun. Your truck will be fine. I honestly think it would be more useful to get stronger skid plates than a lift and big tires that might get you an inch or two of clearance. I'm not saying a lift and 33 inch tires are useless, just saying that MOST people have no reason to do that. Some do.

Also should mention that the Falkens rubbed pretty bad and I had to do some trimming and moving of the plastic, no body mount chop. The SCS wheels are offset a bit, so you probably won't have that issue with stock wheels.

kaitlyn2004 10-17-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirteen (Post 3556045)
Maybe my experience will help you decide. I have a TRD OR with KDSS. Stock suspension, only changed to SCS wheels and 265 Falken Wildpeaks. This is not a daily driver. I mainly use it off road, and for camping trips. I guarantee I've been on rougher trails than most people you see with their big lifts and giant tires. I'm not doing any extreme boulder climbing or anything, but I get on some pretty rough trails. I always air down, usually at 18 psi. Never had an issue.

My skid plates get scraped up sometimes, but that's why we have them. The trails I go to are not in my backyard, I have to drive on the highway to get where I need to go. The highways around here are steep, winding mountain roads and it's important to me to not ruin the handling of the vehicle and make it unsafe to drive. Your stock 4Runner will get you anywhere you need, within reason. 99% of the people that get lifts and big tires seem to do it just to look cool on the way to work. Just get some good AT tires and go have fun. Your truck will be fine. I honestly think it would be more useful to get stronger skid plates than a lift and big tires that might get you an inch or two of clearance. I'm not saying a lift and 33 inch tires are useless, just saying that MOST people have no reason to do that. Some do.

Also should mention that the Falkens rubbed pretty bad and I had to do some trimming and moving of the plastic, no body mount chop. The SCS wheels are offset a bit, so you probably won't have that issue with stock wheels.

Reassuring to read - thanks! Yep, the overwhelming discussion of WANTING to just mod, or doing mods for things to look good, etc. etc... gets very confusing and noisy info for my discussion making.

Naturally the easiest solution is wildpeak in stock size. At stock size on stock wheels, there SHOULD be zero chance of any rubbing, no?

Is there a reason you swapped out the wheels? And just curious, given you made the switch, why did you stick to stock vs maybe a modest 275 or even a different profile?

And your usage seems similar to me - any offroading I might be doing is usually followed by hour(s) of pavement or casual gravel driving that ANY car can do.

And yes, I am looking at full skid protection (1/4" aluminium, not steel). What is your protection looking like? I THINK stock is only engine - looks like RCI's "full kit" is engine, transmission, transfer case. It seems others don't seem to do a transfer case skid? Then there are other skids for some different areas? So overwhelming and as a non-car person, I am also not positive on where some of these other things are even located haha