Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   Battery during pandemic... (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/291421-battery-during-pandemic.html)

TripleT 10-25-2020 04:38 PM

Battery during pandemic...

My 2016 is clicking away when I try to start it.

I just threw a charger on it minutes ago, and I'll see how it behaves after a charge.

I'm in the northeast, and driving mostly short trips just a few times a month. But it's also the original battery, so maybe it's nearing end of life.

If I need to replace it, any recommendations?

I just looked and I actually have a Panasonic battery under the hood. I didn't even know they made car batteries!

Any issues that you guys have been running into during the pandemic with your cars? And what have you been doing to take care of them?

bootown 10-25-2020 04:55 PM

I've never had a Panasonic last less than 7 years. See what charging does. Should have plenty of life left in it. I consistently get 5-6 years on Interstate batteries and at <$150 I'm happy with that.

wsgoat 10-25-2020 05:28 PM

The OEM Panasonic batteries that Toyota installs in the 4Runner, is one of the best batteries made, imo. The OEM Panasonic in my '05 lasted 9-years, I'm also in the NE and the truck lives outside. My '17 is stored for 5-months every winter and starts right up in the spring. Did you install any aftermarket electronics or a remote starter? Make sure the battery terminals/posts are clean and snug.

eleven14 10-25-2020 05:59 PM

Agreed on the quality of the OEM Panasonic battery, it should last longer than 4-5 years. Those batteries are amazing.

I replaced mine with a Toyota TrueStart and was less-than-impressed when it died after 4 years.

Just replaced that with an Interstate from Costco so we'll see how it does.

Mr_Dobalina 10-26-2020 07:24 AM

My wife's 2016 VW Golf Sport Wagon has been having occasional starting issues that don't make sense.. like driving for a couple of hours and then not cranking over. I took it to Auto Zone to get the battery tested.

The meter would not read and it said corrosion. He said the battery terminals were very corroded and I needed to clean them. The thing is that they looked fine to me. So he sold me a kit to clean for 10 bucks and sure enough this was the source of the problem.

Give it a try.

SR5Bart 10-26-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven14 (Post 3559253)
Agreed on the quality of the OEM Panasonic battery, it should last longer than 4-5 years. Those batteries are amazing.

I replaced mine with a Toyota TrueStart and was less-than-impressed when it died after 4 years.

Just replaced that with an Interstate from Costco so we'll see how it does.

True Start Toyota batteries are Interstate batteries and come with a 84 month warranty so if yours died after 4 years they would prorate the price for you.

GG5thGen 10-26-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR5Bart (Post 3559433)
True Start Toyota batteries are Interstate batteries and come with a 84 month warranty so if yours died after 4 years they would prorate the price for you.

I concur. They are made by Interstate and have a 84 month warranty. I just replaced the Panasonic in my 2013 ES350. It was still testing at 80% but I had it changed out of caution.

Jpilot 10-26-2020 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For cars that you don’t drive often, or store for extended periods, try out a battery tender. I got a good 4.5 amp model from Costco For less than $50. Installed permanently, and plugged in when I anticipate using the truck.
Costco has them on sale as of Nov 2020 for $36.

eleven14 10-26-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR5Bart (Post 3559433)

It's a done deal now, but good to know should I ever go through Toyota for a battery again.

Shocker that my dealer (sold and installed the TrueStart) never mentioned anything warranty-wise other than "they only last 4-5 years" and offered to put in another one. Then I went to Costco.

TripleT 11-02-2020 08:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, brothers!

You gave me new faith in my factory-installed Panasonic battery, and after a few hours on a charger, she's starting like a charm.

I guess my occasional short trips haven't been enough to keep the battery happy.

I'd put a tender on it if it was in my garage, but I imagine I'll just top it off every month or two.

Jpilot 11-03-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleT (Post 3562480)
Thanks for the replies, brothers!

You gave me new faith in my factory-installed Panasonic battery, and after a few hours on a charger, she's starting like a charm.

I guess my occasional short trips haven't been enough to keep the battery happy.

I'd put a tender on it if it was in my garage, but I imagine I'll just top it off every month or two.

NP. BTW, I just went by Costco the other day and the 4.5 amp trickle charger/maintainer is down to $36.

wcjeep 11-03-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpilot (Post 3559461)
For cars that you don’t drive often, or store for extended periods, try out a battery tender. I got a good 4.5 amp model from Costco For less than $50. Installed permanently, and plugged in when I anticipate using the truck.
Costco has them on sale as of Nov 2020 for $36.

I have a dual unit charger similar to this. Works great.

JD914 11-04-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleT (Post 3562480)

You could always use solar. I have one of these guys plugged into my solar controller: ECO-WORTHY 20 Watts Epoxy Solar Panel with 2m Cable & 30A Clip for 12V Camping Battery Charger https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B018VR34...ing=UTF8&psc=1

My 4Runner sits outside for weeks or months at a time and that thing keeps the battery topped up nicely, without having to run an extension cord to a battery tender. It has overcharge and reverse protection (if you don’t have a controller already).

JD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk