Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Trail edition - Front/Rear Bumpers? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/291485-trail-edition-front-rear-bumpers.html)

spyder918 10-27-2020 08:52 PM

Trail edition - Front/Rear Bumpers?

So I noticed on the front and rear bumpers on a Trail edition that there are some 'plates/valences' in the center that stick out a bit. I want to add these on my 4R. Does anyone know if these are separate plates that go on top of the bumper or would I need to replace both bumpers entirely?

JeuTheIdit 10-27-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyder918 (Post 3560161)
So I noticed on the front and rear bumpers on a Trail edition that there are some 'plates/valences' in the center that stick out a bit. I want to add these on my 4R. Does anyone know if these are separate plates that go on top of the bumper or would I need to replace both bumpers entirely?

Are you talking 2010-2013 trail? If so, yes the valences are separate pieces that clip into the bumpers. You would have to get the trail front and rear bumpers too because the other bumpers do not have the slots for the valences to clip into.

spyder918 10-27-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeuTheIdit (Post 3560164)
Are you talking 2010-2013 trail? If so, yes the valences are separate pieces that clip into the bumpers. You would have to get the trail front and rear bumpers too because the other bumpers do not have the slots for the valences to clip into.

No the Trail version I was looking at was a 2014. Still the same?

JoshDub 10-27-2020 09:21 PM

The valances have tabs that go through the bumper and are secured with clips. You could cut your own holes in the bumper for the tabs. The factory holes look like they let a kid with a razor cut the slots.

spyder918 10-28-2020 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshDub (Post 3560178)
The valances have tabs that go through the bumper and are secured with clips. You could cut your own holes in the bumper for the tabs. The factory holes look like they let a kid with a razor cut the slots.

Ah ok good to know...thank you all for the responses!

Fermn 10-28-2020 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshDub (Post 3560178)

I second this, no need for a new bumper. Just buy the valences and cut your own holes. You will need to remove both bumpers to install the valances because there is no access to the back to install the clips. It's a really easy job.

Just be careful because the bumpers peel very easily.

JoshDub 10-28-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fermn (Post 3560308)
I second this, no need for a new bumper. Just buy the valences and cut your own holes. You will need to remove both bumpers to install the valances because there is no access to the back to install the clips. It's a really easy job.

Just be careful because the bumpers peel very easily.

There is no access for the rear bumper but the front valance can be R&R'd without bumper removal

daytonaviolet 10-28-2020 01:22 PM

also he te/sr5 bumper has marked slots for the valanced on the back side of bumper. just get a dremel and cut them out :)

4RunnerTacoma 10-28-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshDub (Post 3560404)
There is no access for the rear bumper but the front valance can be R&R'd without bumper removal

Can confirm, I just swapped the front valance this weekend without dropping the bumper. The rear one I had to remove bumper, but it wasn't difficult at all. Youtube videos available.