Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Best All Around Tire (+Snow) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/291503-best-all-around-tire-snow.html)

hairpin 10-28-2020 03:36 PM

Best All Around Tire (+Snow)

I know a ton has been written about this but not recently.

I have an 02’ Runner. Need new tires. I don’t do much off roading but may go on a few gravel trails here and there. I live in the North East and go to Vermont/Colorado in winter and need to be able to get through snow.

Im considering the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Is this tire going to help me get through the snow? Or should I go with BF’s A/T KO2’s?

Imagine you’re on top of a snowy mountain and you want to get down safely. Would you rather have the LTX or the KO2’s?

beklemmung 10-28-2020 04:04 PM

There are recent threads where people give their thoughts. Use the search method described here: Alternate Search for T4R - 3rd Gen Section

I think the two tires you mentioned are apples and oranges in that the the Michelin only comes as a P tire and the KO2 as an LT tire. You probably don't want an LT tire based on the fact that you don't go off-road too much. Tire Rack has lots of reviews and charts to peruse.

Skulking 10-28-2020 06:08 PM

I have the Michelin LTX M/S, and I've been very happy with them, but I don't need to worry about snow. If your primary concern is snow, the LTX M/S is not severe snow service rated while the KO2 is.

Kanoe 10-28-2020 08:53 PM

The ko2 is not all that highly regarded in snow either. Maybe for occasional snow use. Ask @3bears .

biggestmexi 10-28-2020 11:04 PM

I have duratracs and I don't think they are very good on HARD PACK snow/ice.
I had a few braking issues with them activating the ABS and sliding past a turn. Not in an area where anything would have happened though.

They are good in deeper stuff where they can get a bite. I just dont think they are siped for it.

Ryance39 10-29-2020 12:30 AM

It doesn’t seem to be a popular tire on this forum, but I absolutely loved my Hankook Dynapros on both vehicles I had them on. Wet weather, drive weather, dirt, PNW snow. They don’t look real aggressive but they were great.

thenightman 10-29-2020 09:34 AM

For all these "best tire" questions, my answer is the same, what are people in your area running? The best tire for Alberta is different then the best tire for upstate New York, or Park City Utah, or Boise Idaho. Our winters are different, and our fire roads are different.

brillo_76 10-29-2020 09:35 AM

I agree the best tire really depends on your area and climate. :)

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

JLTD 10-29-2020 09:53 AM

LTX is a very good tire and are long wearing. If you are doing a lot of miles (>20k/year) that's what I would go with.

However if driving less than that, have you checked out the Cooper AT3/4S? It might be the smooth riding, light offroading snow capable tire you're looking for. Not to mention $50-$60 less expensive than the Michelins.

texadelphia 10-29-2020 10:02 AM

I had this same question but more specifically regarding the Falken Wildpeaks. You might find this thread informative.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...light=wildpeak

Sarki 10-29-2020 10:31 AM

I’m in the lower Hudson Valley of NY and went with Michelin Defender LTX last year and have zero regrets.
Not many snow miles at this point but as an all around daily driver i’m really happy with the ride comfort, noise level and handling they provide.

hairpin 10-29-2020 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarki (Post 3560860)
I’m in the lower Hudson Valley of NY and went with Michelin Defender LTX last year and have zero regrets.
Not many snow miles at this point but as an all around daily driver i’m really happy with the ride comfort, noise level and handling they provide.

Thanks for comments so far.

I'm also considering the Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus. Anyone have any experience with it?

T4R2014 10-29-2020 07:18 PM

Michelin LTX AT2 sounds like what you are looking for.

HappyHooligan 10-29-2020 11:40 PM

KO2. Snow, dirt, pavement. love them.

sportscarfan 10-30-2020 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggestmexi (Post 3560704)
I have duratracs and I don't think they are very good on HARD PACK snow/ice.
I had a few braking issues with them activating the ABS and sliding past a turn. Not in an area where anything would have happened though.

They are good in deeper stuff where they can get a bite. I just dont think they are siped for it.

Agree, however I do think the Duratrac is excellent in the snow otherwise. When mine were near new I was driving back from UT to Denver in November....when passing through Vail late at night, I caught up to a major winter storm that I drove through all the way into Denver. At ~50MPH, I was the fastest thing on the road. I was very impressed with their performance. I still have the same set and I'd buy them again.